02 June 2014 14:57
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Basically, if you see this:

or this:

and you start feeling really Hugh is a naughty person , then it's time to see your Doctor and make certain they take it seriously.

If you get a bite from a big tick and remove it straight away, there's not so much to worry about.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

Alister Aberdeen is off-line
02 June 2014 16:51
AlisterAberdeen
Photographer

Grampian

I am really glad that you saw this post Chrissie. This is something that we discussed on our last shoot. I had a shoot in Perthshire on Saturday, and as when we shot, I was concerned for the model. We delliberately didn't shoot in a place where she knew there was ticks. I asked her to make sure her partner throughly checked her for ticks after the shoot.

This morning, I found a tick on my back...........

Midges
They pose no health risk, but can be extremely unpleasant and uncomfortable. They could stop a shoot.

My mother's family live on the Inner Hebredies, and we often visit in July or August. I often shoot landscape, and early, on a still morning, I couldn't shoot without using a full midgie headnet - similar to a bee keepers head protection.

Ticks
They don't cause discomfort, but they can bring potentially serious health risks. They can carry bacterial infections - most commonly Lyme Disease, which if untreated, can create significant health problems.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot or walk in any areas that I knew had ticks.

Good information on the links below.

In summary:

1. An insect repellant may provide some protection against ticks.

2. After any outdoor activity, especially in a area used by wild animals (ticks are often on deer, sheep and other wild animals) you should check yourself throughly for ticks. Check your armpits, groin and all over your body.

3. If you do find a tick/s, don't burn it off, use vaseline or try and remove with tweasers. Remove asap (the longer they are on your body, the risk you have to be infected). Use a specifc tick remover (available in most outdoor shops for less than £5) and clean with antiseptic.

4. Keep the ticks.

5. If you get a red, bulleyes rash, or have flu like symptons, go to the doctor asap, and tell them you were bitten by ticks. Keeping the ticks may help in diagnosis.

6. If untreated, Lyme Disease can cause significant health problems.

Around 300 cases a year are diagnoised in Scotland and around 2 -3000 in England and Wales

Areas with high tick population include

Exmoor
the New Forest in Hampshire
the South Downs
parts of Wiltshire and Berkshire
Thetford Forest in Norfolk
the Lake District
the Yorkshire Moors
the Scottish Highlands

You should't be so scared that you don't want to leave the house.

But if you reguarly shoot in remote areas, you should be aware of how to reduce risk, Lyme disease symptoms and that you need to go to the Dr asap if you feel unwell after tick bites.

Some information below -

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/lyme-disease/pages/introduction.aspx

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/

11 July 2014 01:41
AlisterAberdeen
Photographer

Grampian

Hi,

I posted here a month ago, after a location shoot in Perthshire. It was up to nude, and it made me think of the risks to the model of tick bites. The mostly live on wild animals and often carry bacterial infections. If the ticks bite, these bacteria can be passed on to humans.

A few days after the shoot it was me that found ticks - one on the back of my arm, one on my back. I got them out and didn't think it was a big deal.

Earlier this week, I noticed a red, circular rash and had been feeling extremely tired - often sleeping for 2 hours after work, then sleeping all night. Also had a stiff neck, and been very hot.

Went to the doctor who prescribed a 2 week course of strong antibiotics. My symptoms were not too bad, and this treatment should nip this in the bud. But if not diagnosed or treated, this can develop into something much more serious.

After a shoot,

1. Check your body for ticks.
2. Remove any ticks ASAP with a tick remover. Can buy from an outdoor shop for £5. The faster you remove them, the less lightly you are to be infected.
3. If you do develop a red circular rash after being bitten, go to your go, ASAP

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Lyme-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk

Ian Jackson is off-line
11 July 2014 02:23
brownnwhite
Photographer

Kent

Well said.
Its also imprtant to use a tick remover as pulling the ticks off can leave parts of the mouth in the skin which causes and infection.
Tick removal tools are also sold at Vets.
Its nice to be important but more important to be nice

11 July 2014 12:38
AlisterAberdeen
Photographer

Grampian

Very good point.

Never use a naked flame, Vaseline or tweezers to remove them. Only a tick remover.

19 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Sammy_Louise stevepm tanyacox
azurphotos daseinphoto dave@studio99 dorrian fetishphotoman firstforimages funky JohnWindsor Jpdo mlp nuclear314 PhilWinterbourne redbaron redtail Tejay UKPHOTO