Yeh, mph's treatment suggestions make more sense

KHV is off-line
01 June 2014 12:22
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

Plenty of ticks in the New Forest, around the Guildford area, even in Bushy Park due to the Deer.

Paul Hodson is off-line
01 June 2014 12:44
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

DEET is an excellent mosquito repellent, but it is a fairly poor tick repellent. We are inundated with so many DEET repellents because there are several huge corporations that manufacture hundreds of variations of DEET products. There is only one small company, Coulston Laboratory, that markets a handful of competitive tick repellent products for human use that contain 0.5 % permethrin.

There are pros and cons to each product, but as a tick repellent, permethrin wins hands down. Permethrin is an insecticide derived from a chemical found in the chrysanthemum family of plants. It is a spray that is used on clothes only, and is deactivated and made less effective by the oils on our skin. Once it is sprayed on our clothing, it becomes odorless and can last for several weeks with a single application. Once it is applied, most ticks will curl up and fall off if they make contact, and will eventually die if there is prolonged exposure.

According to LymeNet Europe.

On the other hand

Repel Ticks: Use DEET
Of all the various insect repellents available, DEET has been shown to be the most effective at repelling ticks. “There is pretty good data that DEET works against ticks,” confirms Durland Fish, professor of epidemiology at the Yale School of Public Health. Other repellents, including those that contain picaridin, are simply not proven to fend off the blood-suckers. “We’re pretty confident that DEET works,” agrees Dr. Tom Mather, director of the Center for Vector-Borne Disease at the University of Rhode Island and its Tick Encounter Resource Center. “Those other repellents have just not been effectively tested against ticks.”

Kill Ticks: Use Permethrin
DEET may work at repelling ticks, but Mather advises it only as a second line of defense. His top recommendation: Wear tick-repellent clothing treated with permethrin, which kills ticks after only five to 30 seconds of exposure. “Permethrin is dried into your clothes,” Mather explains, “and if you purchase treated clothing or have it commercially treated, it can last 70 washings.” (Insect Shield, which produces its own line of insect-repellent apparel, will treat clothing for $8 to $10 an item.) Alternatively, you can treat clothing yourself, though home treatments last for only about four to five washings, Mather says.

Pays your money and .........
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Profile Pictures is off-line
01 June 2014 12:55
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Ticks your choice?

Paul Hodson is off-line
01 June 2014 13:20
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from profilepictures
Ticks your choice?

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Tony Stephenson is off-line
02 June 2014 06:59
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

I must confess the only tick removal that I've actually seen in action was with the lighted end of cigarette held closely to them...  It's not meant to kill them, just close enough to make them uncomfortable and to get them to release their hold and it worked perfectly on these occasions. 

Ticks are very common where there is Bracken especially where there have been sheep grazing - I remember a few students at uni getting them on geological field trips whilst wearing shorts on higher ground - shorts.... not the wisest thing to wear in tick country! 

No matter what you do, there is always something out there just waiting to get you.

Scottish midges are like flying Pirahna ....nastly little blighters they are!
www.le-femme.co.uk

Chrissie Red is off-line
02 June 2014 09:10
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I feel quite "lucky" that I don't think I've had a tick bite, I say "don't think" because I did have a couple of odd skin irritations in the past and after explaining them to friends they have said that if it was a tick I would know about it. I didn't really think they were common at all and it wasn't something I worried about until a friend/model mentioned to me that she had a got a tick bite on a shoot the previous day - 4 years ago … She was shooting in an area I've shot in countless times before. I've shot in sheep fields and in areas highly populated with deer and never had any issues.

Perhaps ticks are like midges? they have a preference or can sniff out the blood/skin they desire more. I've only ever really had an issues with midges once on a shoot, they were pretty vicious and left me with pretty severe marks for days but most of the time when its midge seasons the photographer will be stood there with his camera in hand swearing at the little beasts swatting them away and I'm a few feet from him posing with no clothes on and getting no attention at all from the midges.

RKD Photographic is off-line
02 June 2014 12:44
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Germany
Iserlohn

Quote from Chrissie_Red
I feel quite "lucky" that I don't think I've had a tick bite, I say "don't think" because I did have a couple of odd skin irritations in the past and after explaining them to friends they have said that if it was a tick I would know about it. I didn't really think they were common at all and it wasn't something I worried about until a friend/model mentioned to me that she had a got a tick bite on a shoot the previous day - 4 years ago … She was shooting in an area I've shot in countless times before. I've shot in sheep fields and in areas highly populated with deer and never had any issues. Perhaps ticks are like midges? they have a preference or can sniff out the blood/skin they desire more. I've only ever really had an issues with midges once on a shoot, they were pretty vicious and left me with pretty severe marks for days but most of the time when its midge seasons the photographer will be stood there with his camera in hand swearing at the little beasts swatting them away and I'm a few feet from him posing with no clothes on and getting no attention at all from the midges.

Could be: I'm O-Pos and bugs love me, but when my wife is around, she gets bitten to buggery and beyond and I get nothing. Canada was the worst: mossies like Heinkel bombers which can suck a man dry - or to the point of anemia in 24 hours. We used gallons of DEET over there: on our clothes, skin everywhere... then discovered it melts any watch faces not made of real crystal as well as the plastic furniture on military weapons systems...lol
Ticks - UK ticks are pretty easy to get off if you don't mind small scars - I take a pragmatic approach and dig them out ASAP then douse with alcohol or iodine. I have a fairly robust 1st Aid kit in the car - enough to treat knife and gunshots wounds as well as traumatic amputations - old habits etc.
I sunnier climes, the ticks are easier to spot - in Cyprus they're as big as your small finger nail and reminded me of the old thrupenny-bit coin. If they latch onto your head, you can actually hear them crunching their way in which is deeply unpleasant...I know...

"When I hold a camera, I know no fear..." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Chrissie Red is off-line
02 June 2014 12:50
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from arkady001
Could be: I'm O-Pos and bugs love me, but when my wife is around, she gets bitten to buggery and beyond and I get nothing. Canada was the worst: mossies like Heinkel bombers which can suck a man dry - or to the point of anemia in 24 hours. We used gallons of DEET over there: on our clothes, skin everywhere... then discovered it melts any watch faces not made of real crystal as well as the plastic furniture on military weapons systems...lol
Ticks - UK ticks are pretty easy to get off if you don't mind small scars - I take a pragmatic approach and dig them out ASAP then douse with alcohol or iodine. I have a fairly robust 1st Aid kit in the car - enough to treat knife and gunshots wounds as well as traumatic amputations - old habits etc.
I sunnier climes, the ticks are easier to spot - in Cyprus they're as big as your small finger nail and reminded me of the old thrupenny-bit coin. If they latch onto your head, you can actually hear them crunching their way in which is deeply unpleasant...I know...

I remember years ago on a family holiday in Spain both my sisters and mum had mossie bites but myself and dad returned without any. It was like they bypassed me and dad and went straight for my mum and sisters. Your first aid kit sounds amazing, prepared for all emergencies. I'm glad I'm not in a sunnier climate, fingernail sized and crunching does indeed sound horrible!!

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
02 June 2014 13:52
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Most infections are caused by ticks in the nymphal stage, as they are very small and may feed for long periods of time undetected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/about-ticks/
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
dhuntuk Keithhendy RoninUK