All the time

Cody is off-lineSilver Member
21 May 2014 12:42
Cody
Model
Cody
Oxfordshire
bicester

My point really is some photographers don't understand they need to pay to build a portfolio. .... I sometimes hear tfp only!
Anyway thanks for listening

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
21 May 2014 14:03
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I think most understand perfectly. To them though it's better to have the arrogance to try their luck, and they'll most likely get a bit of personal satisfaction if they succeed.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Jesfish is off-line
21 May 2014 15:26
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

I've been asked if I will work for free because they are beginners and can't afford to pay.  When I've asked what I will get in return, the reply was; "Well you can have control of the shoot", which I took to mean that I will also need to set up the lights and come up with the ideas!

21 May 2014 16:15
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Don't forget as well - "If you don't ask... You don't get"
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Neil Anderson is off-line
21 May 2014 16:39
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

On the other hand, an insultingly low offer isn't normally a good start to negotiations .
Especially when the seller is emotionally attached to the thing under offer.

And if you pay peanuts .....
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
22 May 2014 01:46
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Of course start asking what equipment they have and they will proudly boast of having the latest Canon/Nikon camera wedded to one of the top lenses.

I wonder if they also buy a full set of the best golf clubs available then tell the club sorry I can't afford green fees, I'm still learning. Followed no doubt by how much publicity the club can expect when they make it big.

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

22 May 2014 02:57
Photobomber
Photographer
This member has been suspended

I mean my port is hardly amazing and I do pay models but I think there are plenty out there who have great ports and never pay. I suppose the argument of you need to pay to build a good port is also valid of models? As I say I think negotiation and trying your luck is fine, as is the models right to say bugger off.

22 May 2014 02:59
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The funny thing is, the photographers who moan the most on forums that they're offended by this/that seem to be the ones who try to get TF? the most as well (and often have to scrape the barrel with quality of models they work with). Just an observation.

22 May 2014 04:30
johnlp
Photographer

Maybe it's frustrating, but it's just one of those things. I try to get in first with a fee I'm prepared to pay, typically by putting a casting with the fee on, because sometimes a model will contact me with rates that I would not under any circumstances pay, and then you get the very awkward negotiation messages which I feel gets the shoot off to a bad start. So I see no harm in photographers suggesting low fees, but equally they should not get their feathers ruffled if they are turned down.

Cody is off-lineSilver Member
22 May 2014 04:52
Cody
Model
Cody
Oxfordshire
bicester

You're not building your port though John, you have a lot of experience

14 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
albaphotos jamstephto Kentrichuk MrNeil Njsphotography orca_photography philippahh PhilStorm stevegosh steveh32 Thunder_Photos Wildman69 woody
Lensmaster