Blog's

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
20 May 2014 06:22
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Hi all
I have a problem with writing I am A old school photographer and find hard to do it!
How may off you find that your blog and social media is works for you?

1] Is worth the time?
2] What do you find that get notes the most traffic?
3] If you not good with writing what the best way of getting notes?

Any advice on how to blog with too much writing would be great please?

Look forward to hearing from you
Brian

marlham is off-line
20 May 2014 06:35
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

I don't have a blog so can't really help.

The only blog I follow is a photographer who lives close to me and I find it interesting to learn about the work he gets involved in. His name is Perou.

I guess models sometimes maintain a blog for the benefit of their 'fanclub'. Some of them might receive orders for signed prints, t-shirts etc because of it I guess. I'm not sure many internet photographers are able to generate a fanclub in the same way so can't see much use for it personally.

Still, if you don't try you won't know!

Paul Jones is off-line
20 May 2014 09:43
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from Brian2008
Hi all I have a problem with writing I am A old school photographer and find hard to do it!

If you not good with writing what the best way of getting notes?

I have maintained a Blog for a year and a half.  See - http://www.pauljones.org/

I enjoy doing it.  All my jobs have involved writing / marketing communications and I have always enjoyed reading. 

I receive emails from around the world and have made several good friends via my website.

I am passionate (bonkers) about photography and this helps to fuel and provide content for many of the articles that appear on my Blog.  There is so much inspiration for a Blog posting from the likes of:

-  photography books you have bought / read / recommend
-  photography DVDs, videos and Youtube
-  workshops you have attended
-  things in the news, eg anniversaries; deaths; exhibitions, etc

Also, your own input:

-  photoshoots you have arranged
-  models you have worked with
-  your photographic inspiration
-  photographers you admire
-  your studio lighting plans
-  product reviews
-  your photography top tips

All of these and more have featured in postings on my Blog.

If you aren't good with writing I think you will struggle.  My own view is that a good Blog needs easy to read content, and regularly updated content. 

Feel free to let me know what you think of mine.  http://www.pauljones.org/

Cheers
Paul

www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

Neil Anderson is off-line
20 May 2014 11:05
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

It really depends on what the purpose of the blog would be.

Most people who persist with blogs do it because they enjoy doing it - almost like a diary which they share.
If it is not something you enjoy doing, it will be very difficult to make it of interest to anyone else.
Many people start blogs and they peter out quite quickly ... if you look at several models blogs you will find that most haven't posted this month.

To make other people interested in visiting your blog it needs to be updated frequently. If you visit a blog and nothing has been posted for months would you bother going back ?

On the other hand you don't need to write essays, produce something that you find interesting or says something about you. If you do plenty of shoots then it's not too onerous to post a photo with maybe a description or short explanation (and something longer if something occurs to you.

I used to do a blog where I'd post photos from gigs and a sort of review/remarks/diary but I found I just didn't have time to write anything I was pleased with, but have carried on posting photos which link to my other sites www.wildblanket.co.uk
although I am quite pleased with some of the writing which is easy to find in this link:
http://wildblanket.squarespace.com/journal/category/holidays
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
20 May 2014 15:22
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

About 100,000 visitors to my website in a few years - mainly because search engines like blogs.
I've never done anything else to attract visitors.

I use the blog mainly as a place to put nearly straight out of camera preliminary shots for the model to look through - but I write a couple of lines with the model's name, and link back to the model's website - all of which the search engines are looking for.

http://hughalison.com/blog/

Wordpress is probably the best to use - my whole site is built with it - and you can get a free Wordpress site at www.wordpress.com

I also use Facebook.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
20 May 2014 15:51
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Thanks Hugh that great help!

marlham is off-line
20 May 2014 16:33
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from Hugh
About 100,000 visitors to my website in a few years - mainly because search engines like blogs,

Nothing to do with the piccies then

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
21 May 2014 08:30
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from marlhamphoto
Nothing to do with the piccies then

I suspect it's the quality of the boobies more than the quality of the photographs that attracts them.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Davetse duncanjames rscott360 Willy_O