Reminder Secure

French wine in America - how much?

rob_s57 is off-line
09 May 2014 07:18
rob_s57
Photographer

Greater Manchester
Manchester

I live in the UK and have been trying to find out how much an average bottle of French wine costs in the US. I mean a bottle you might get from a supermarket or a Walmart or something like that - not a collector's vintage bottle. Just out of curiosity.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
09 May 2014 07:29
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Probably less than here due to tax differences at a guess.

When I went there years ago there was a Royal Doulton Crystal outlet, it was actually cheaper there than in the factory shop down the road from where I lived
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

rob_s57 is off-line
09 May 2014 07:33
rob_s57
Photographer

Greater Manchester
Manchester

This is what I am thinking and this is the reason I am asking. I had a chat with my local prospective MEP and we got onto the subject of the in / out referendum on the EU and he was stupid enough to say that if we left Europe, we would no longer be able to buy French wine as EU members only deal with other EU members. I told him that he was talking rubbish and that we are probably paying more for French wine here than people in the US do. He told me I was an idiot and that I should not be allowed to vote at all.

Would like some evidence to get back to him.

09 May 2014 08:19
Photobomber
Photographer
This member has been suspended

I love the argument euro lovers give regards if we leave. Nobody will sell to us!!!! Ermmmm yes they will. Because ££ talks. Always has and always will. It's like saying the EU wont sell to canada or indeed USA because they don't use the euro and arnt in the EU. If someone wants to sell the French, Germans efc will buy. Is it such a bad thing to say we want to trade but we don't want your laws, currency or excessive rules.

Nige Nw is off-lineSilver Member
09 May 2014 08:38
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
Lancashire

It is a while since I have been but generally I found wine as expensive in the US. If I remember rightly I paid roughly as much for Californian wine in California as I did for similar Californian wine in the UK!

rob_s57 is off-line
09 May 2014 09:13
rob_s57
Photographer

Greater Manchester
Manchester

Quote from Photobomber
I love the argument euro lovers give regards if we leave. Nobody will sell to us!!!! Ermmmm yes they will. Because ££ talks. Always has and always will. It's like saying the EU wont sell to canada or indeed USA because they don't use the euro and arnt in the EU. If someone wants to sell the French, Germans efc will buy. Is it such a bad thing to say we want to trade but we don't want your laws, currency or excessive rules.

I agree - I am old enough to remember when we were not part of the EU and we were happily trading with France, Germany, Italy etc etc but now we pay 53 million pounds a day to be part of the EU and we don't really seem to get any discounts for "being in the club".

We have never had a referendum on this, and our politicians think we have. The only vote we had was about joining a free trade area, not a dictatorship where most of our laws are created in another country. How many millions of British died in the second world war to prevent us from being ruled by a European country? And now we are paying for this to happen.
When I first started to look into French wine specifically, I found an article saying that the French are looking more and more to export to China, Japan, all over Asia in fact. They are not restricted to trading in Europe and neither are we. We should not rely on Europe for trade, especially as most of the Euro zone countries are going bankrupt anyway. Rolls Royce engines sell all over the world because they are good, not because we are in Europe.

Rupert Rudd is off-line
09 May 2014 09:35
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
East Yorkshire
Hull

UK is Frances' major export outlet for wine. Can you imagine France giving that up because we left the EU?
A little help is worth a lot of sympathy.

Razoir is off-line
09 May 2014 12:09
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

$35 . 97c for a 750ml. bottle of Moet Chandon from a supermarket in Miami, Florida.
Surprisingly difficult to do a comparison confidently as, of course, American wines are often made from French grape varieties. Therefore, they tend to describe an American-made wine as a Cabernet Sauvingnon or a Merlot or whatever. I reckon I should be safe with a brand as well established as Moet Chandon.

The 6 bottle case-rate for (as far as I can be certain) the same wine in Tesco is £25 . 99p.

£25 99p less £21 . 35p is a saving of £4 . 64p. So, cheaper in the States.

Of course our taxation set up will muddy the waters considerably. It might be better to compare something like Greek olives in Tesco to Greek olives in the USA but being sure of accurate like-for-like will be difficult.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

HowardJ is off-line
09 May 2014 13:34
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from rob_s57
I live in the UK and have been trying to find out how much an average bottle of French wine costs in the US. I mean a bottle you might get from a supermarket or a Walmart or something like that - not a collector's vintage bottle. Just out of curiosity.

You'll find that US supermarkets often don't sell alcohol. They prefer to sell it in adults only liqor stores. You'll also find that they have dry towns where you can't buy alcohol in restaurants but you can take your own and they'll provide glasses. It's a funny place.

Try checking websites like stopandshop.com

Neil Anderson is off-line
09 May 2014 13:35
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from rob_s57

I agree - I am old enough to remember when we were not part of the EU and we were happily trading with France, Germany, Italy etc etc but now we pay 53 million pounds a day to be part of the EU and we don't really seem to get any discounts for "being in the club".

We have never had a referendum on this, and our politicians think we have. The only vote we had was about joining a free trade area, not a dictatorship where most of our laws are created in another country. How many millions of British died in the second world war to prevent us from being ruled by a European country? And now we are paying for this to happen.
When I first started to look into French wine specifically, I found an article saying that the French are looking more and more to export to China, Japan, all over Asia in fact. They are not restricted to trading in Europe and neither are we. We should not rely on Europe for trade, especially as most of the Euro zone countries are going bankrupt anyway. Rolls Royce engines sell all over the world because they are good, not because we are in Europe.

We did have a referendum - so you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

The uk sets tax rates, as so much of the retail cost of wine is tax the original question is rather meaningless.
However, if you personally import it from France good wine is considerably cheaper than if you buy it in tesco. With care you can buy drinkable stuff for 3.5 euros.

The point about standards is also rubbish. Places have to conform to eu standards to import into Eu. Places like Switzerland get the same, but no say in setting the standard

Ps if anyone believes ukip rubbish about 75% of laws being made in Europe, they really must be simple minded - name some.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Angeleyes777 danixhale fashion29 Krystald pinklilly Shannone Zadi
63jian android_man bradder carpe_diem Dandelion djb1 donaldmac doughnut dwhphotography JOOPninja keltica Kjoservices Lumen MIB mikebee mrdl nemesis Puremoods Rhadamanthus ronniefesta thelook Thunder_Photos