Reminder Secure

Anyone played with the new Sigma 'art' lens' yet?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
12 May 2014 07:00
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from OldMaster
I am not sure about the USB hub to enable "updates" and focus..the Nikons already do this with in camera adjustment. Certainly at these differences I am guessing any focus inaccuracy inherent in the camera will completely negate and marginal differences between the models?

In-camera correction is a fixed recalibration figure for a given focus distance and totally unsuitable for correcting a lens throughout its focus range and certainly focal length range on a zoom.  It is intended as a in-the-field fix for a single focal length and focus distance and nothing more.

If this USB device has the ability to apply multiple corrections to the AF table that's inside the lens based on multiple focal lengths and focus distances it'll be more akin to sending your lenses away for 'proper' calibration from the manufacturers themselves.  It may also allow the use of upgraded AF algorithms as they come available, something of great use to Canon users who have often been caught out by Canon changing communication protocols over the years, or simply for performance increases it will be a benefit (a bit like reconfiguring engine management on a car for towing trailers for example.)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Profile Pictures is off-line
12 May 2014 07:15
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

That's how I've interpreted the USB dock too, it seems even with a prime 50mm you can calibrate four distances in to tune the lens up. If its as good as suggested, I see that as game changing by sigma, and based on their previous works I think the art range could become a front runner quite quickly.

13 May 2014 09:29
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Quick update, just been to wex to see what all the fuss is about, and came away with a 35mm f1.4 dc from the art range. First impressions are great price and superb build quality, extremely fast af and absolutely dead silent. Image quality from inside the shop apperas great but it'll need some field trials to assess with any real certainty. Didn't get the USB hub yet as we'd also bought a 70d this trip. At the same time had a proper go on the canon f1.4l 50mm and absolutely wouldn't swap my current sigma 50mm f1.4 to own it, slow focus being the biggest issue and the sharpness being at best ok and at worst poor as its focus just isn't as good as my current non art sigma.

13 May 2014 09:35
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Therein lies the problem, you've already got a good Sigma 50mm, is the 'art' version really going to be worth the upgrade cost. I personally doubt it.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

13 May 2014 11:35
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Lol! Handed over a 30mm sigma ex dc as part exchange and got a valuation of £360 from Wex! Hence, actual art exchange cost to swap was...

£9

If it's as good when they get the 50mm in, I'll consider it a useful upgrade

20 May 2014 02:06
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

It maybe nothing but Canonrumours has noticed a potential slip-up from Canon's marketing department

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
20 May 2014 03:01
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

There have been 'rumours' of a Canon 50mm 1.4 with IS being possible, for a while, Canon seem to be including IS in a lot of lenses now.

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
andygstudios carshaltonkev chandos crane38 rod_m99