This thread is being watched by 2 people
Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
08 May 2014 14:45
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Even when this site had some pretty big egos on here it didn't compare to anything like the degree PP has and to be honest it's nauseating, probably mostly due to the fact that they get carte blanche on there to do as they please and anyone else even breathes wrong on there will get their collar felt by the management and most likely get some long winded e-mail about how you don't really belong or something along those lines.

Also on there the whole FPI & 'likes' thing while it gives publicity to some pretty much ignores everyone else, at least the setup on here gives everyone a level playing field to a degree, and in that respect makes it less of an exclusive club and thus we can get down to business as it were.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Gerry is off-line
08 May 2014 14:48
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

But you can use each of the sites without going anywhere near the forums. You can switch all or some of them off if you want. Its not compulsory.
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

marlham is off-line
08 May 2014 15:27
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from Gerry99111
My sarcasm was obviously missed on you. The site clearly states that portfolio hosting is its primary purpose including saying that on the home page and when people have suggested it should look at other areas for improvement, we have been told that its primary purpose is portfolio hosting. Maybe that should be looked at.

Sarcasm or disdain?

Why should they though? I think what I said in my post makes it clear that whilst a minority might hark back to the good old days times have changed.

Quote from Gerry99111
It was a simple statement that as there are few models now using the site, there is little justification for people to pay when they are all else where. If the site cures that problem then people will come back.

You seem to be suggesting that there's a specific problem with PS that prevents models joining or remainig and which can and should be fixed. Yet you don't say what you percieve that problem to be. Simply saying you don't like something but it's up to someone else to fix it, whatever it might be, isn't going to get you very far.

Quote from Gerry99111
All this talk of the forums on each site is a red herring. Its the attractiveness of the site to book shoots that is critical to its success or lack of. That and why have all the models gone and can some of them be got back.

If I'm considering booking a model it doesn't matter to me where his/her portfolio is hosted. I simply click on the link provided. The presence of a forum on that site makes no difference to me whatsoever. Perhaps you're accustomed to using forums to generate interest from models? Other than that I'm struggling to understand the point you're trying to make.

Quote from Gerry99111
Unless of course you think there are lots of active models on here and think the site doesn't need to do anything to rectify any perceived shortage?

As I've already said it makes no difference to me where the portfolio is hosted.

Having said that there is a significant problem with models who use PP for hosting. Having your FB feed filled with links to portfolios or images you can't view unless you're a member is tedious and invariably results in the model's FB being unfriended. I'm sure I'm not the only one that does that.

Gerry is off-line
08 May 2014 17:31
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from marlhamphoto
Sarcasm or disdain?

Why should they though? I think what I said in my post makes it clear that whilst a minority might hark back to the good old days times have changed.

You seem to be suggesting that there's a specific problem with PS that prevents models joining or remainig and which can and should be fixed. Yet you don't say what you percieve that problem to be. Simply saying you don't like something but it's up to someone else to fix it, whatever it might be, isn't going to get you very far.

If I'm considering booking a model it doesn't matter to me where his/her portfolio is hosted. I simply click on the link provided. The presence of a forum on that site makes no difference to me whatsoever. Perhaps you're accustomed to using forums to generate interest from models? Other than that I'm struggling to understand the point you're trying to make.

As I've already said it makes no difference to me where the portfolio is hosted.

Having said that there is a significant problem with models who use PP for hosting. Having your FB feed filled with links to portfolios or images you can't view unless you're a member is tedious and invariably results in the model's FB being unfriended. I'm sure I'm not the only one that does that.

One more time and then I give in. The site will know how many models are left on this site and that is what is important if they need to act.

There are very few models left on the site who have logged on recently and are actively using it. Why are you going on about anything else. They have all left bar a small number. No one is interested in why they have gone or doing anything to get them back.

How many photographers do you think will pay to use this site if there is a handful of models left. The site will know far better than me but there is probably less than 10% of the models on here than 2 years ago.

How many long term photographers are on here? Again, I bet between 10 and 20% of 2 years ago.

They have not all just vanished. They have gone else where. Most of the models I have worked with are still active and working on other sites. Their account here has either been deactivated or set to free membership but either way, they are not using the site anymore and don't log on or answer emails here.

I will repeat again, I am making no point other than a lot of models and photographers have left the site and continue to do so or stop contributing to its upkeep [as the OP started this thread suggested].

If that position is not turned around, the site will cease to exist as it did before and have to become something else

Matthew G is off-line
08 May 2014 18:08
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Is it not the case that the more active forums are, the more people that visit the site so the more trouble there is going to be? It's not the sites fault, its the people that use it. All this site needs is a redisgn and an easier way to use it on mobile devices. That is all that pp has compared to this. I suspect Matt came to the realisation a while back that this is never going to make him any serious money so understandably lost the enthusiasm for it.... Now it's chicken and egg. Theres probably not enough paying members to go forwards....

So sorry Jaye, everyone has totally hijacked your thread now....

Anthonygh is off-line
08 May 2014 21:52
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

These sites come and go...like the ebbing of the tide.

PP will be a shadow of its current self in a few years...only MM goes on and on.....

Jaye  is off-line
09 May 2014 02:39
jessicard
Model
This member has been reset to pending
jessicard
Vale of Glamorgan
Cardiff

Oh no it's fine - I like seeing people's views!
http://jayerose.tumblr.com/

Gerry is off-line
09 May 2014 04:56
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from MG
. All this site needs is a redisgn and an easier way to use it on mobile devices. That is all that pp has compared to this. ...

Its a shame but I don't think its quite as simple as this. Whilst the grass is not "purpler" on the other side, too many models have left because those that don't want to shoot adult or glamour used to get swamped by chancers trying to push their levels. offering them stuff that was really not going to appeal or start flirting with them rather than try and book them for shoots. Or swamp newbies with unnattractive shoot offers.

I am not saying the other sites are without their problems but for many models with the exception of the seasoned adult and glamour models, this site was always seen as a place with a dark side that they don't like. So when a bright and shiny newcomer came along, it was easy for people to shift allegences.

Maybe PS should play to its strengths and market itself as a glamour / adult model site and inject some new features and maybe it will establish a viable niche where the models and photographers can see a lot of value in being here and paying for membership?

I think the site had a good reputation for dealing with blatent abusers of the site when they had evidence of someone using the site messaging system. Its all the low level persistent problems [mainly caused by some photographers] that just seemed to go on unchecked for years and years with no sign these people would be hunted down and discouraged from behaving in such a way that is the thing that most models will happily tell you in private is their issue with the site.

09 May 2014 10:42
Socialdisaster
Photographer

You may find the forums here dead, rightly. But is the grass greener?

This is what the otehr site currently looks like to a non user:

Hardly indepth photography and modelling discussion.
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

raw and the cooked is off-line
09 May 2014 10:53
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

There are plenty of disgruntled pp users, another site will rise! Moderation in moderation is key! A site without active forums will not last!

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
adreena_uk chosin Jessica_Knight scarlettfoxett
ad360photo AhmedAshour antoinewynn bristoltalent clarmike davejarvis eosfan humphries JohnDentonPhoto Ladiesman markeos50d peteb Puremoods redbaron riddell Robinsky rod_m99 Rscott360 snapper47 Snooper911 Steveh32 Steveharratt TinDolls viewphotographic