Reminder Secure

How do I downgrade my account?

This thread is being watched by 2 people
08 May 2014 08:53
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from marlhamphoto
You might want to hurry up and join - I keep hearing they've raised the required standard for new members. Lest they raise the bar too high and you miss the opportunity to share your entertaining forum banter with a wider audience.

Of course, another reason the forum's so static on here is that some people are scared to say anything for fear of having a troll make an unsolicited sarky comment on their post. Fortunately trolls have never bothered me as I'm too thick skinned. Now, I'd better get my Purpleport application in before they set the bar higher than GWCs and their accompanying sh1t portfolios.

Neil Anderson is off-line
08 May 2014 08:59
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Why would anyone pay membership to either (or any) site for the forums ?
The threads about 'models' not turning up, models expecting to actually get photos from tfp sessions, Castings which don't respect the photographer's rights, models getting photos as well as pay etc etc are not really a loss.

I'm sure the forums on other places may offer the chance to waste many happy hours being outraged at how awful everyone else is, and how wonderful your friends are... but those of us who actually take photos don't really need a daily fix which offers rather less intellectual stimulus than Coronation Street.

What is really bizarre is the number of people who don't contribute to the running of the site (ie don't pay anything) who like to post about how awful things have got here.... and how they are taking their free-loading elsewhere [just to be clear, I can see if you are a metal member, so this would not refer to any individuals who have accounts that show they have paid].
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

marlham is off-line
08 May 2014 09:01
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from RedChecker
Ha ha!  What's that entail then?

Actually I've no idea. But I'm sure their rationale and reasoning will be explained, in their usual manner, to those not of sufficient ability to pass their test whatever it might be.

marlham is off-line
08 May 2014 09:13
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from PaulManuell
Of course, another reason the forum's so static on here is that some people are scared to say anything for fear of having a troll make an unsolicited sarky comment on their post. Fortunately trolls have never bothered me as I'm too thick skinned. Now, I'd better get my Purpleport application in before they set the bar higher than GWCs and their accompanying sh1t portfolios.

For those interested (not many I suspect) I'm referring to your entertaining forum banter as evidenced by your contributions starting at the bottom of page 4 here:

http://www.purestorm.com/forum/readThread.aspx?id=274474&start=4

Maybe you were just having a puerile moment? (that question's rhetorical by the way).

Gerry is off-line
08 May 2014 09:48
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from stolenfaces
What is really bizarre is the number of people who don't contribute to the running of the site (ie don't pay anything) who like to post about how awful things have got here.... and how they are taking their free-loading elsewhere [just to be clear, I can see if you are a metal member, so this would not refer to any individuals who have accounts that show they have paid].

Plenty more don't bother to complain and have either down graded their account or removed it completely and book all or most of their shoots elsewhere. There is no obligation to pay subs - this is after all a portfolio hosting site. People will choose to invest their cash where they see value in doing so. I have supported PS with subs for several years but I took the decision that I couldn't afford to keep all my subs running when I have no income.

Some of us are keeping our accounts going because we are hoping that PS will stop the flow of models from the site and encourage them back.

I would be surprised if many of them have taken this decision to leave because of the forums as most of them didn't take part in them anyway. Yet these discussions never seem to address why they are going and what can be done to encourage them back. Those of you with "metal" membership will still be able to see how many models are on line at any time - then you may understand why people are reluctant to part with cash for paid membership
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

08 May 2014 10:44
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from marlhamphoto
(that question's rhetorical by the way).

Well I'm thicker than p1gsh1t, and therefore too dense to know that a rhetorical question doesn't require an answer, so I'll answer it. No, I wasn't being puerile in the post you referred to, I genuinely do give up before the end when looking at Platinum members' photos. Maybe it's cos I only have mobile internet and a tiny screen (and I'm talking Nokia C101, so not even a smart phone) and can't appreciate the seemingly endless reams of photos like I probably would on a large pc screen. Anyway, I've been steered off topic of the OP's thread since my initial on topic post, and that's unfair on her, so that's it from me on this one.

Jonathan is off-line
08 May 2014 13:22
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Quote from IainT
The forums might not be lively, but this is still the best "working" site for me. .

+ 1 

Relax, take it easy and float down-stream with the Sandy Camel

marlham is off-line
08 May 2014 13:51
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from Gerry99111
Those of you with "metal" membership will still be able to see how many models are on line at any time - then you may understand why people are reluctant to part with cash for paid membership

You can't have it both ways - saying that on the one hand PS is just a portfolio hosting site and on the other that because people aren't actually logged in the place isn't working.

Portfolio hosting makes perfect sense to me particularly alongside FB. Somewhere to host the style of images that FB won't tolerate. In recent years photographers have gradually become comfortable with FB and how to use it - and consequently that's where the visible activity has migrated. The most modern generations of modelling site have recognised the role FB now plays and have not even included a forum - just simple portfolio hosting. FB is such an integral part of peoples' daily lives that it's where virtually everyone turns to naturally as a communications and marketing medium. There's simply no need (nor desire) for people to log into their portfolio hosting provider in order to arrange bookings.

Oliver Cook is off-line
08 May 2014 14:22
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Quote from RedChecker
So they've had another purge of people who they hold a personal grudge against?

Lol. I lasted a couple of days there. It may be quieter here these days, but still a much more pleasant place to be. Mind you I must admit I've downgraded to a free accounty because the activity here doesn't justify paying. If things were to pick up around here (hint admin) then I'd certainly sign up for a paid account again. 

Gerry is off-line
08 May 2014 14:42
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from marlhamphoto
You can't have it both ways - saying that on the one hand PS is just a portfolio hosting site and on the other that because people aren't actually logged in the place isn't working..

My sarcasm was obviously missed on you. The site clearly states that portfolio hosting is its primary purpose including saying that on the home page and when people have suggested it should look at other areas for improvement, we have been told that its primary purpose is portfolio hosting. Maybe that should be looked at.

You also I think misread the rest of my post.

It was a simple statement that as there are few models now using the site, there is little justification for people to pay when they are all else where. If the site cures that problem then people will come back. All this talk of the forums on each site is a red herring. Its the attractiveness of the site to book shoots that is critical to its success or lack of. That and why have all the models gone and can some of them be got back.

Unless of course you think there are lots of active models on here and think the site doesn't need to do anything to rectify any perceived shortage?
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa bonni_cuffs chosin Just_janine Micah68
Andy_B davejarvis djb1 duncanjames hylander JohnDentonPhoto Jonathan52 kaosrox Ladiesman lfc9_uk matt68uk MIB mlp orca_photography Philski poah Puremoods RMI rod_m99 stevegosh Steveh32 swalsh58 tarmoo Twigtitus westend_portfolios