Lightroom 5 vs Capture NX 2.

Chris is off-line
08 July 2014 14:59
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

I just thought I'd let you all know who posted here, I am going with Lightroom. Capture One may be really good if you know how to get the best out of it, but I hate it. It would take me too long to get used to it. There are tons of tuition videos out there on everything I need to know with Lightroom. The results look good enough for me. Thanks to everyone for giving me advice. Maybe I will get Capture One sometime in the future, but it's not for me at the moment.

Cheers.

marlham is off-line
30 July 2014 09:29
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Whilst it's true that Capture One does an excellent RAW conversion - particularly with regard to skin tone - its performance and reliability on Windows is a significant problem. I downloaded the latest release a couple of days ago to give it another try but sure enough it eventually ground to a halt and locked up my Windows 7 machine. A quick google reveals widespread problems and general amazement that they seem unable to adequately test the product before releasing it. It may or may not be a problem on a MAC too - I don't know. Anyway it's been uninstalled once again!

I'm sure you'll find Lightroom to be a useful and productive tool though.

Laurence Power is off-line
30 July 2014 13:21
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

Quote from Rawandthecooked
With respect to Anthony h, Photoshop maybe industry standard, but for raw processing, Capture one is industry standard, not lightroom! And i say that as a lightroom user who has had to move to capture one as too many clients demand it!

"Too many clients demand it", but why, surely you take an image and create a raw file, you open that file using whatever you like (Camera Raw, Capture NX-D, Capture One, View NX 2 Aperture or whatever), retouch it using Photoshop then output it in whatever form is required, the indexing and raw conversion can be done in anything why should they know or care. I am at the moment loving the final version of Capture NX-D using it instead of Lightroom which I've had since version 1
Laurence J. Power

Neil Anderson is off-line
30 July 2014 17:55
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from LaurenceJPower
"Too many clients demand it", but why, surely you take an image and create a raw file, you open that file using whatever you like (Camera Raw, Capture NX-D, Capture One, View NX 2 Aperture or whatever), retouch it using Photoshop then output it in whatever form is required, the indexing and raw conversion can be done in anything why should they know or care. I am at the moment loving the final version of Capture NX-D using it instead of Lightroom which I've had since version 1

I was also wondering how that works.
Presumably he works in some niche industry in which clients demand files which have been processed in capture 1 (or any other specific raw processing engine)
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

marlham is off-line
30 July 2014 18:04
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

I would imagine he's referring to commercial clients and/or their representatives who might be present whilst the shoot is in progress and who need to review images as they're captured.

31 July 2014 01:29
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

Quote from marlhamphoto
I would imagine he's referring to commercial clients and/or their representatives who might be present whilst the shoot is in progress and who need to review images as they're captured.

Surely then the writer would run tethered and allow the client to view the raw file on screen, they could use Capture One, he could use any programme he liked on the stored images at a later date. As I understand it, Capture One was the only programme to run tethered in a satisfactory manner.

Please don't imagine that I am trying to defend Adobe Lightroom or any particular computer programme, I am merely trying to understand the wriiter's comment that his clients demanded that he use Capture One. 
Laurence J. Power

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
31 July 2014 01:37
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Please don't imagine that I am trying to defend Adobe Lightroom or any particular computer programme, I am merely trying to understand the wriiter's comment that his clients demanded that he use Capture One. 

I take it you've never worked in a contractual relationship with other firms?

Over the years in various industries (all using computers) I've come across all manner of rediculous requirements for what software work is done on, yet who is the subcontractor to argue?

I'd hazard a guess that some unknowledgeable numpty in these firms has simply heard of some software, or had some 'expert' tell them that it's the one to use and subsequently decided to add that to the contracts to pad it out.  They don't give a monkeys about any implications or whether or not what they are asking is stupid, it simply makes them feel a little more powerful and you simply have to take it on the chin.  It's a bit like all these RedChecker is a naughty person s who insist that you need to use use Macs for any sort of graphics work, it's such an outdated concept (being that PCs have had a capable WIMP environment for the last ~20-25 years and are equally as capable) but it is ingrained into people and sadly doesn't seem to want to die down.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

marlham is off-line
31 July 2014 01:54
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Surely then the writer would run tethered and allow the client to view the raw file on screen, they could use Capture One, he could use any programme he liked on the stored images at a later date. As I understand it, Capture One was the only programme to run tethered in a satisfactory manner.

Generally a style is applied to the image automatically which is close to what the final finished image is intended to look like. The style might be tweaked by the photographer's assistant under direction from the client and the image exported as a TIFF or PSD. In some instances the client may leave with the TIFFS (and possibly the RAWS too) which are subsequently retouched by a third party. In other instances the retouch might be carried out by the photographer but I can't imagine any reason why he'd then choose to re-process the image in a different RAW processor - not only would it be wasteful of time but it wouldn't be easy to exactly match the results obtained from Capture One.

31 July 2014 02:17
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

I am fortunate that my clients both for photography and financial services accept that I know what I am doing, to question the tools that an expert uses surely undermines the person selected the expert. If they want the stuff shot on a Canon, they can go elsewhere, the results in my book were shot using Nikon, 'Blad or Gandolfi, if they don't like the results why have they hired me?

Re looking on screen and walking out with the results, yes I understand what you say, but personally I have found the results from Capture One to be good, but little different to Lightroom, certainly, unless the images are viewed very carefully, there is no difference that I can see. Output as a TIFF or PSD for later retouching, fine. No I'm sorry but I just do not understand, perhaps Rawandthecooked can explain to me.
Laurence J. Power

26 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs chandni23 chloejade25 ellamae10 Lilly_69 Natalie120525 poppylapilule zavego
ad360photo biggles485 Blancho cwillyshootit gordon Kjoservices Ladiesman liteangle mlp modelboutique peteb redmedia rod_m99 Rtnphotography scottmcccxiv Steveh32 thelook
harbourstudio