Lightroom 5 vs Capture NX 2.

Chris is off-line
04 May 2014 12:35
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

It's well over due for me to buy some new software. I have been watching stuff on youtube demonstrating both Lightroom 5 and NX2, and was wondering which people here prefer. I keep going back to watch again, and still I am not sure which to buy. At the moment, I am leaning slightly more towards NX2.

What do you think? 

raw and the cooked is off-line
04 May 2014 13:12
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

Capture one!

marlham is off-line
04 May 2014 15:58
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

I got NX2 bundled with my camera. Up until Lightroom 3 I regularly used NX2 to process individual images as I felt it gave me noticeably better quality. However since Lightroom 4 I haven't bothered with it - Lightroom (together with a custom camera profile*) does a pretty good job plus you get all the additional functions such as cataloguing which Lightroom provides so seamlessly.

I've tried Capture One several times over the years but have consistently found it to be unstable on Windows and got rid of it every time.

If you shoot weddings or anything that results in hundreds of images to process you'll find Lightroom invaluable.

*You can create a custom camera profile easily using ColorChecker Passport.

Steve M is off-line
04 May 2014 18:10
TheShinyOne
Photographer
TheShinyOne
London

Capture NX2 has been replaced with free, lower quality usability software by the geniuses at Nikon - Capture NX-D I think its called ? So any new cameras may not be supported and any bugs won't be fixed, sadly. Should be cheap though, if you can find it, but I always found it incredibly slow on Windows and prefer Aperture on mac now.
I live for the nights that I can't remember / with the people that I can't forget

David J Severn is off-line
05 May 2014 03:14
nikondave
Photographer
nikondave
Derbyshire
Derby

I've been on lightroom for about 18 months, found it more user friendly after a couple of weeks and the keys allow you to put it on upto 5 machines, Macs and PC !
David J Severn Keeping Life in Focus

Chris is off-line
05 May 2014 07:27
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Wex are still selling NX2 so was tempted, because of the light points feature. I don't like the sound of having a cheaper version. My camera is the d300s, and I have been using Capture, from ages ago. It won't work with the NEF files, as I bought it back when I was using my d70 a lot. I do like Nikon software, so I am used to how it works, and the touching up brush in the NX2 would mean I could do it all without any other software. My editing is quite basic, as you'll see if you look at my images.

I was watching a lot of Lightroom videos, and was impressed, but then started watching the NX2 videos, and now think I may have to buy both if I can't decide. Maybe Wex have it advertised, but don't still have it for sale, who knows.

I was ill all last week, and had to postpone everything this coming week, through lack of energy. So it's a pity I am not in the situation where I can use this software to do some fast editing this week instead. The software I use for touching up is so old, it takes absolutely ages.

Thanks for the links as well all those who posted them. I will still be thinking about it.

Cheers

Hugh Spence is off-line
05 May 2014 08:24
StNeots
Photographer
StNeots
Bedfordshire
Potton

Quote from TheShinyOne
Capture NX2 has been replaced with free, lower quality usability software by the geniuses at Nikon - Capture NX-D I think its called ? So any new cameras may not be supported and any bugs won't be fixed, sadly. Should be cheap though, if you can find it, but I always found it incredibly slow on Windows and prefer Aperture on mac now.

Not yet it hasn't. NXD is (according to Nikon's web site) a beta version of the successor to NX2. If you visit the web site and read the comments, they are incorporating in the final version some of the things they stripped out of the NXD when they put it up.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
05 May 2014 10:04
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I'm not a Nikon user but I cannot see anything NX2 offers that Lightroom does not. they just do things in a different way. I'm not entirely sure what you meant by Light points but if it is the colour control points this just sounds like the adjustment brush without the need to brush but also sans the flexibility that provides.

As with swapping over with any software it just takes a little time to find the wrinkles and adapt to not having things you are used to.

My only big beef with lightroom, and it is a very serious one, is the sodding highlight recovery introduced in V4. One reason I keep looking at capture one pro. Quite what was in their tiny minds I am not sure but LR now insists on 'recovering' your highlights even if you do not want it to. When you shoot a lot a white background stuff this gets far from amusing. I blow the backgrounds out a couple of stops to make sure they are pure white. Lightroom promptly decides 'no you don't want to do that' and savages the whole file putting detail back in. Fine if you can turn it off but you can't. Nor is there any way of knowing exactly what changes it made so you can unmake them!

There are work rounds of course but they are just that, which to me is all wrong.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
05 May 2014 10:52
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from nikondave
I've been on lightroom for about 18 months, found it more user friendly after a couple of weeks and the keys allow you to put it on upto 5 machines, Macs and PC !

5 ??

I think it's only 2.

Microsoft Office 365 is for 5 machines, maybe you ment Office.

Chris is off-line
05 May 2014 11:17
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Quote from redbaron
I'm not a Nikon user but I cannot see anything NX2 offers that Lightroom does not. they just do things in a different way. I'm not entirely sure what you meant by Light points but if it is the colour control points this just sounds like the adjustment brush without the need to brush but also sans the flexibility that provides. As with swapping over with any software it just takes a little time to find the wrinkles and adapt to not having things you are used to. My only big beef with lightroom, and it is a very serious one, is the sodding highlight recovery introduced in V4. One reason I keep looking at capture one pro. Quite what was in their tiny minds I am not sure but LR now insists on 'recovering' your highlights even if you do not want it to. When you shoot a lot a white background stuff this gets far from amusing. I blow the backgrounds out a couple of stops to make sure they are pure white. Lightroom promptly decides 'no you don't want to do that' and savages the whole file putting detail back in. Fine if you can turn it off but you can't. Nor is there any way of knowing exactly what changes it made so you can unmake them! There are work rounds of course but they are just that, which to me is all wrong.

That's what I was trying to remember, the colour control points. Yes, that is what I wanted to ask. Can you do that with Lightroom? Actually also I do like to blow out the white background quite a lot, so that could be a problem for me too. But yes, I do expect to have to get used to what ever I change over to. That is another reason I was slightly leaning towards the NX2, but still very much interested in the Lightroom. Especially as when I buy a new printer soon, I get Lightroom cheaper.

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
al_dun Chaosoftrouble chloejade25 ElleLaura hazel_rose Kidane
Andy_B bbphotos bringingsexyback casell david1500 edb ellessephotography frankpht gadzooks2 gordon johnwayne jpegster kai_kul lenscape lenspoynter philippahh poah steveh32 tim_oh842 TonyNutley zackoloco