Reminder Secure

Are casting calls monitored or checked before posting?

Razoir is off-line
30 April 2014 12:00
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

As per the rictus in Camden Council some years ago, it is not black skin, it is skin without milk.

There is no one so offended as some one who wants to be offended. A good friend of mine put it very well, when he said, "Do they really think we are stupid enough not to know the difference?" This when there was debate about Camden Council banning the use of the term 'black coffee' and insisting that coffee should be ordered 'without milk', so that no one was offended.

I have not seen the CC in question. I am guessing that a call was put out for a 'black' model. The black people I know would not be offended by this. There are bound to be a few out there who will WANT to be offended and who will seize on the opportunity but that is not the same thing. IF the CC was looking for a 'n*gger' or a 'c*on', then those are terms that are intrinsically offensive, even though once in common usage.
The people we need to fear are those in the white middle classes who, due to a guilty conscience(?)patronise the hell out of any minority and take over what is the minority's right to defend themselves and do the defending for them.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

Neil Anderson is off-line
30 April 2014 12:51
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from JeromeRazoir
As per the rictus in Camden Council some years ago, it is not black skin, it is skin without milk.

There is no one so offended as some one who wants to be offended. A good friend of mine put it very well, when he said, "Do they really think we are stupid enough not to know the difference?" This when there was debate about Camden Council banning the use of the term 'black coffee' and insisting that coffee should be ordered 'without milk', so that no one was offended.

I have not seen the CC in question. I am guessing that a call was put out for a 'black' model. The black people I know would not be offended by this. There are bound to be a few out there who will WANT to be offended and who will seize on the opportunity but that is not the same thing. IF the CC was looking for a 'n*gger' or a 'c*on', then those are terms that are intrinsically offensive, even though once in common usage.
The people we need to fear are those in the white middle classes who, due to a guilty conscience(?)patronise the hell out of any minority and take over what is the minority's right to defend themselves and do the defending for them.

You may not have seen the casting but you could have bothered to read the other posts in the thread....
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Paul Hodson is off-line
30 April 2014 13:29
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from RedChecker
Ah, it was probably 'coloured' then. My dad still uses that, it's awkward at times.

The thing is, when your dad was young "black" was seen as derogatory and "coloured" used as the polite alternative! And then...............

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Jonathan is off-line
30 April 2014 13:58
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Quote from ATVLONDON
Welcome back Stolen. My avatar isn't  glorifying the swastika in any way.  It's a design to try and explain mine and other peoples vision of the EU.  Do you get it?

I would appreciate it if you could please explain why you use the EU flag and Nazi flag as I don't understand.

Relax, take it easy and float down-stream with the Sandy Camel

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
30 April 2014 14:06
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from SandyCamel
I would appreciate it if you could please explain why you use the EU flag and Nazi flag as I don't understand.

If I had to guess it's a reference to the fact that a unified Europe was one of the original goals of the Nazi regime.  So despite WW2 conquoring the Nazis their dream has indeed been realised with the EU (which is seen by many as controlling, invasive and akin to the Reich).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Jonathan is off-line
30 April 2014 14:14
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Quote from RedChecker
If I had to guess it's a reference to the fact that a unified Europe was one of the original goals of the Nazi regime.  So despite WW2 conquoring the Nazis their dream has indeed been realised with the EU (which is seen by many as controlling, invasive and akin to the Reich).

Best for me not to comment further then.

Relax, take it easy and float down-stream with the Sandy Camel

jivago Photographic is off-line
30 April 2014 16:59
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

Quote from stolenfaces
Those of us who grew up in the sixties still regard the use of the swastika as as a joke avatar as grossly offensive. Love the way you admit that you don't actually know anything about the casting you are commenting on, but want to generally stand up for the rights of people to be casually offensive (and as far as you know the post could have been offensive or even racist, even by your own low standards)

The avatar is one of a complete ignorance of history. He is to be pitied.

http://www.jivagophoto.com/

jivago Photographic is off-line
30 April 2014 17:07
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

Quote from RedChecker
which is seen by many as controlling, invasive and akin to the Reich).

..By un-evolved 'little engerlunders'  oh-yes!

But  I wonder if the 'ghosts' of  Treblinka extermination camp would see such a parallel?
http://www.jivagophoto.com/

30 April 2014 17:41
Webbo2
Photographer

Quote from ForumModerator

No. We do not, and cannot possibly, monitor everything posted on the site.

However there is a [report abuse] link on every casting call which members can use.

Normally a Report will be actioned (if action is necessary) within a few hours.

Note: Moderators should not censor purely on the grounds of perceived Political Incorrectness.

Update: As of 11:15

with the exception of one Clause 16 breach, no casting calls have been reported over the last 12 hours.

I can confirm that moderators are unlikely to censor a casting based on perceived PC. As I once reported a casting containing such a thing and was basically told that they wouldn't do anything about it, and if I really took offense then I should contact the poster directly. Which I did....and he didn't change it. Oh well.
EYUP!

30 April 2014 17:55
JadedRed
Model

Quote from mph
Quote from RedChecker Ah, it was probably 'coloured' then. My dad still uses that, it's awkward at times.

The thing is, when your dad was young "black" was seen as derogatory and "coloured" used as the polite alternative! And then...............

The problem is when vile people use a correct term to abuse and harm others, those others may unsurprisingly have negative associations with that term, If people could behave decently and not be so ignorant these issues wouldn't arise.

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Craigchesham
AndyGStudios chandos Essexjohn Lumen