Reminder Secure

Canon EF-S lenses to EF bodies

29 April 2014 03:00
Ron_H
Photographer

Does anyone know if you can get an adapter that will allow me to fit an EF-S lens to my 6D (EF mount)?
I can find adapters that will allow me to fit Nikon lenses so surely there's one somewhere that will do what I need??

Bill_M is off-line
29 April 2014 03:13
Bill_M
Photographer

Lanarkshire

No, it can't be done. EFs lenses do not have the mirror clearance for FF DSLRs, which is why the mount is deliberately made incompatible. They also are not likely have the field of coverage for a FF sensor.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
29 April 2014 03:21
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Be warned that even if an EF-S (or third party equivalent) does fit onto a full frame body (I have one that does), it may damage the camera if you use it as some crop-oriented lenses have rear optical elements that protrude into the body itself and could cause the reflex mirror to bash into them.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Dave Beasley is online
29 April 2014 04:07
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Can't do it - only buy EF lenses then you can use them on both EF and EF-S bodies.

I found out the hard way (as did a lot of people) by buying an EF-S body/lenses then upgrading to a full frame and having to sell everything and start again with EF.

Dave

29 April 2014 06:50
Ron_H
Photographer

Thanks guys, you pretty much confirmed what I thought. I feared it couldn't be done but I wasn't sure why.

I was hoping to get a wide angle lens for shooting landscapes but the Canon 10-22mm and Sigma 10-20mm are only EF-S compatible

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
29 April 2014 07:20
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Unfortunately good quality wide angle choices are also limited and generally expensive for full-frame.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Bill_M is off-line
29 April 2014 07:28
Bill_M
Photographer

Lanarkshire

Quote from Ron_H
Thanks guys, you pretty much confirmed what I thought. I feared it couldn't be done but I wasn't sure why.

I was hoping to get a wide angle lens for shooting landscapes but the Canon 10-22mm and Sigma 10-20mm are only EF-S compatible

The Sigma 12-24 is a great lens and FF compatible - and even wider than the 10-20 on an EFs camera.

Matthew G is off-line
29 April 2014 10:36
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

I heard of people actually chopping bits off lenses and them working fine... I haven't tried this myself so I can not recommend it but here is how to do it.... Please don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't work! :-)

https://www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/discuss/72157604422834954

Neil Anderson is off-line
29 April 2014 12:14
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

From wikipedia:
'The "S" in EF-S comes from "Small image circle", meaning the lens is designed to provide a small (relative to a normal EF lens) image circle to match the sensor.[1] The smaller mirror used in APS-C cameras also allows optical elements to protrude further into the camera body, which enhances the possibilities for wide angle and very wide angle lenses, enabling them to be made smaller, lighter (containing less glass), faster (larger aperture) and less expensive.'

On Nikon dx (EFS equivalent) lenses will fit on fx cameras, although only the centre of the image is usable due to vignetting. The D800 can use dx lenses by automatically switching to a 16Mb dx mode.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

29 April 2014 13:13
Photog3000
Photographer

Hi Canon do a 17 to 40 ish wide angle ef which if you apply the mag factor of an ef-s lens would be 16 - 38 due to the apc effect.

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexis92 Cody ElleLaura fizzy
bbphotos casell ChrisD Djanimation eosfan forden_photo freddie Gaudinio geoffmarchant Gregory_Mason James7799 joolsy KDP Kjoservices lify mareeoosh mauricesimagery mikehemmings moritz78 orkadia Phiesta1 rod_m99 rscott360 steveh32