Reminder Secure

Cf /SD Card query

Matthew G is off-line
22 April 2014 08:55
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Could anyone answer how many shots it is reasonable to expect to take on Raw before your camera having a bit of a mental breakdown? :-) At  the moment I'm shooting on a 6D and a 5D II with both SD and Cf cards. The SD cards I'm using are Sandisk Ultra 30 MB/s and the CF cards are Kingston 266x. I have the 5DIII set to shoot Raw to the CF card and Jpegs to the SD Card and record seperately. I have the 6D just shooting on th SD card obviously and I'm getting around 6 to 7 shots before then having to wait around 3 to 4 seconds before shooting one more shot and each subsequent shot is taking two or three seconds to take.The 5D III is getting around 8 shots and then waiting for about two seconds to take each shot after that. 

What kind of speeds do other people get out of their cards? Is upgrading the cards going to help enormously? I obviously want to spend as little as I can on cards but have them do the maximum they can do... I have heard that the Sandisk 45mbps card is miles ahead althouigh logic would tell you its 1.5 x faster than the card that I have?

Anyone make any sense out of it all for me?? 

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
22 April 2014 09:02
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from MG
I obviously want to spend as little as I can on cards

I'm sorry but this isn't obvious at all.

You are a professional (according to your status), surely you'd want the fastest & most reliable cards money can buy as opposed to cheap consumer oriented cards that are aimed at low volume & not mission critical shooters?

To answer your question, yes they are a lot faster providing the camera can squeeze the speed out of them.  Don't just think of them as being 1.5x quicker as there's all manner of funny goings on where memory buffering & dumping is concerned.  Exteme Pro cards run at 95MB/s, that's over 3x the speed of what you're using (theoretically).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Baddo is off-line
22 April 2014 09:25
baddo
Photographer

Staffordshire
Stoke on Trent

I have just bought a ''Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card - 32GB - Class 10 - 95MB/s'' from 7dayshop.com. and shoot both raw and jpeg with out the problems you mention. I was shooting sports at 6fps over the weekend and while only in short bursts the camera and card coped without any problems.

Neil Anderson is off-line
22 April 2014 09:31
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

I just tried this with a D800 writing jpgs (around 9Mb each) to 30Mb/s Ducatti SanDisk Compact Flash and RAW (around 40Mb each)to 95Mb/s Sandisk Extreme SD card.

I got to 18 continuous, I'm not sure if there was really a pause then or it was just boredom that stopped me, if there was a pause it was not more than a sec....

So either your cards are rubbish....or your cameras
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

22 April 2014 09:35
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

One thing worth pointing out when shooting RAW to one card and JPG to the other... the camera may not be writing to both simultaneously, and instead may be writing sequentially (ie. one raw, then one jpg, then the next RAW etc.)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Matthew G is off-line
22 April 2014 09:55
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Quote from stolenfaces
I just tried this with a D800 writing jpgs (around 9Mb each) to 30Mb/s Ducatti SanDisk Compact Flash and RAW (around 40Mb each)to 95Mb/s Sandisk Extreme SD card. I got to 18 continuous, I'm not sure if there was really a pause then or it was just boredom that stopped me, if there was a pause it was not more than a sec.... So either your cards are rubbish....or your cameras

The maths of that works then.... 30 to 90  = 6 to 18. Im assuming you mean the Extreme Pro 95mb/s Sandisk card.  I think the D800 and the 5DIII should have almost identical speed processors in them..... Having said all that I'm just waiting now for Mr Red to tell us otherwise :-) 

22 April 2014 10:02
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The latest Sandisk Exreme Pro CF cards are 1066x speed as well (4x the speed of your current one). On the 5D you'll need BOTH cards to be upgraded to see the full benefit.

Why not buy the smallest/cheapest useable size of each (Sandisk Extreme Pro) to suck it and see?

Certainly in my experience the flagship Sandisk cards outgun anything else (and I believe Sandisk Extreme Pros are the only cards Hasselblad recommends for their H?D cameras for their silly ~200MB RAW files).

Matthew G is off-line
22 April 2014 10:15
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

The SD card on the 5D III will just be used for shooting the Jpeg back up files if the main card fails for any reason. The 30MB/s cards work fine for just Jpeg shooting.

22 April 2014 10:18
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

You need BOTH of them upgraded if you're to confidently eliminate any buffer issues (the buffer will be shared between both cards afterall and any bottleneck on either card will result in delays).

Neil Anderson is off-line
22 April 2014 10:22
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from MG
The maths of that works then.... 30 to 90  = 6 to 18. Im assuming you mean the Extreme Pro 95mb/s Sandisk card.  I think the D800 and the 5DIII should have almost identical speed processors in them..... Having said all that I'm just waiting now for Mr Red to tell us otherwise :-) 

My files are bigger though.. and there wasn't a 4 sec gap. But I think it's fair to say that the cards you are using are way behind the curve for modern cameras. My 95 Mb/s card wasn't expensive in 16 Gb you can easily get one for under £30

SD cards are cheaper so it is better (well, better value) to have faster/bigger sd card for RAWs and smaller Compact flash (possibly slower) for JPG. And your fast SD card can be used in both cameras
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

1 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
rscott360