Editing for print: CMYK Settings

Kev W is off-lineSilver Member
14 April 2014 16:42
Follyhouse
Photographer
Follyhouse
Leicestershire
Hinckley

Could anyone advise on which might be the 'safest' of the CMYK default settings to use for images intended for printing in a glossy magazine (UK) - I have no additional information to help me create a custom CMYK setting.

I'm intending to use either Adobe RGB or Prophoto RGB beforehand - any preference here?

Thanks in advance.

Matt . is off-line
15 April 2014 03:09
MLP
Photographer

Nottinghamshire
Nr Nottingham

Ask the printer! You need to match the profile with the printer

---------------------------------------------- Images are not taken they are created

15 April 2014 04:16
johno
Photographer

Hi

Firstly you need to be aware that CMYK has less colours than RGB. so fluorescent greens and so on won't reproduce.

When you convert an RGB file to CMYK blacks maybe created by the use of a composit of CMYK (ie. 20%C 20%M 20%y 20%K) this can produce a muudy black. if you use 'selective colour' (image>adjustments>selective tool) tool you can dial out the CMY and just have blacks printed from the black drum. giving a cleaner end result. A good printer will do this for you.

I worked in pre press for 3 years, I'll try and upload a pic as an example for you.

cheers

John

https://imageshack.com/i/n7g4dqj

Kev W is off-lineSilver Member
15 April 2014 04:57
Follyhouse
Photographer
Follyhouse
Leicestershire
Hinckley

Many thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I'm not able to deal directly with the printer in this instance, so it's a case of hoping for the best with one of the default CMYK conversion settings

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bergstrom grahamsphotography schuiab