This thread is being watched by 1 person
Andrew Gibbins is off-line
04 April 2014 03:19
andrew_gibbins
Photographer
andrew_gibbins
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

We all know that the age of printed magazines is almost over, and that the digital platforms will take over completely, Its the way of evolution, and it cant be stopped. One magazine after the other is ceasing to publish printed media, and Playboy also is showing increasing losses in the last few years. They discontinued their special editions a while back, and their printed magazine is next. When that will happen I dont know, but it wont be that long.

And why you need to sign up to a site to see tits on the internet? There are so many free sites its amazing. Also, do a search for nude images on google, and you got that there too. No problems at all.

The main problem is that the market has changed and noone is changing with it. Same was with the record industry before they moved on it and accepted things like iTunes and Spotify.

Its not the end of the road for either models or magazines. They just have to change with the times.

Anthonygh is off-line
04 April 2014 04:53
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Maybe it is just lads mags that are suffering .... I subscribe to a couple of photographic mags (e.g. BJP) and the quality of the editions has risen over time in my opinion....and it can be viewed online as well. These type of mags seem confident about their future.

WHSmiths seems as well stocked as ever with mags....and I read last year that there was something like 5000 mag titles available in the UK.

I guess most guys own tablets and/or smartphones and if they want to stare at boobs it is quicker, cheaper,....with more variety....to use one of these.

On a slightly off topic note....I was telling a photo enthusiast about the Bailey exhibition in London, expecting he would be interested in seeing it...he wasn't. Said he can view the work online. This availability is a problem for some photographers in my opinion as I know a few that see no reason to visit galleries and view original work and never have. It is hard to imagine that artists, painters and so on would have that attitude....most that I know are almost addicted to seeing original works.

OldMaster is off-line
04 April 2014 07:53
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

..."On a slightly off topic note....I was telling a photo enthusiast about the Bailey exhibition in London, expecting he would be interested in seeing it...he wasn't. Said he can view the work online. This availability is a problem for some photographers in my opinion as I know a few that see no reason to visit galleries and view original work and never have. It is hard to imagine that artists, painters and so on would have that attitude....most that I know are almost addicted to seeing original works"..

+1

Off topic..sorry, but I know you contributed to my post on here about the Bailey Exhibition. Hope you enjoyed it if you went.

But your point is relevant and indicative of the small screen generation. Firstly its disappointing that so many (and lets face it we can all learn something from the Masters?)couldn't be bothered and yet still pretend to have an interest in photography..and worse perhaps think viewing it on line can come close to being in the presence of a real print, either true B&W or real colour, never mind the fact some were about 6ft x 4ft!!!

Anthonygh is off-line
04 April 2014 09:49
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from OldMaster
..."On a slightly off topic note....I was telling a photo enthusiast about the Bailey exhibition in London, expecting he would be interested in seeing it...he wasn't. Said he can view the work online. This availability is a problem for some photographers in my opinion as I know a few that see no reason to visit galleries and view original work and never have. It is hard to imagine that artists, painters and so on would have that attitude....most that I know are almost addicted to seeing original works".. +1 Off topic..sorry, but I know you contributed to my post on here about the Bailey Exhibition. Hope you enjoyed it if you went. But your point is relevant and indicative of the small screen generation. Firstly its disappointing that so many (and lets face it we can all learn something from the Masters?)couldn't be bothered and yet still pretend to have an interest in photography..and worse perhaps think viewing it on line can come close to being in the presence of a real print, either true B&W or real colour, never mind the fact some were about 6ft x 4ft!!!

You are right about the current generation that only experience artwork via some sort of digital conversion process that inevitably involves a small screen.

I remember, many years ago as an art student, having a long discussion with a  student friend about the merits of classical sculpture (he was a modernist ) and particularly the merits of Michaelangelo. He was quite dismissive of his work.....which he knew about as he had 'seen' his work 'in a book'.

Anyway...a few weeks after this we were at the V&A in London, and ended up in the plastercast room...which contained an exact replica (plaster cast) of Michaelangelo's 'David".

My friend was litterally gobsmacked in front of it...for several minutes. He was shocked by the sheer scale of it and the power this conveyed. The original in Florence must be even more impressive....unfortunately I have never been there. He'd only seen a photo in a book.

With photography, sometimes it is possible to obtain a photographic book where the prints do justice to the original images but these are rare and usually very expensive. So I can't understand why people, if they have the chance, don't want to view original work.

So going back to lads mags....I guess the small screen experience is better than a cheap mag experience but possibly not as good as a quality mag or publication experience....and both worse than the real thing!!surprise

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
04 April 2014 10:21
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

There's often a big difference between painted art and a photograph. Photography being constrained by limitations of yesteryear's technology being often misunderstood by those with modern ideas of photographic perfection.

I own many (expensive) photographic art books and have been to a few galleries and find myself increasingly unimpressed by what the masters of yesteryear have produced as I find the quality of my own (and peers) work superceding it in terms of consistency & clarity due to the incresed benefits of modern technology (I make no boasts about my artistic eye though).

That said, if you have an idea as to the processes & limitations of old technology then you can indeed be amazed by what people were capable of, but simply looking at the images with modern eyes without the background knowledge of how tough photography once was will, I fear, miss the point of seeing great works in the flesh.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Anthonygh is off-line
04 April 2014 12:20
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I thought the same when at the Ansel Adams exhibition....up to A3 size I felt my Canon G10 / R2880/ CS6 combo would have produced better prints had I been where he was at that particular time. Although there is rather more to his work that that.....

Technology is of course allowing people to get 'increasingly 'better' results with less and less skill ....just as most people with a microwave can, if they buy the better chill meals, produce increasingly impressive meals with no real culinary skills.

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
04 April 2014 16:13
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

In terms of Lad Mags, I think that there is no future. They are are just pointless.
They are embarrassing to buy.
Better content can be seen on the internet.

Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

HowardJ is off-line
04 April 2014 16:21
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from anthonyh
WHSmiths seems as well stocked as ever with mags....and I read last year that there was something like 5000 mag titles available in the UK.

True, but I do wonder how many copies they actually sell. Whenever I visit a WH Smiths I'm surprised by how few people are shopping in it. Most just seem to be browsing. People tend not to buy books from WH Smiths as they can now get them cheaper through online stores such as Amazon. People might buy the odd pen or pack of paper, but they're struggling with sales.

Paul Jones is off-line
29 April 2014 13:23
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Nuts Magazine has today released its final issue.

IPC Media publishes its final issue of Nuts magazine today.

The front cover of the edition, entitled 'The Final Issue', features the dates of its ten-year UK newsstand lifespan – 2004-2014. Glamour model for the cover is Lucy Pinder, who had been a frequent feature in the men's interest magazine. The Nuts website has also posted a "10 years of boobs with the Queen" compilation of Pinder's past photoshoots.

http://www.featuresexec.com/bulletin/news_article.php?id=23098

Best regards
Paul

www.PaulJones.org

Razoir is off-line
29 April 2014 14:58
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Quote from HowardJ
Front is gone and now today Nuts has announced its entered a consultation period with staff about a possible closure. Where next for the lads mags? Online only? Have they had their day? Is the UK is going puritanical following the adult restrictions on ISPs, the pishing for age validation on websites and ATVOD too. Hide away your boobies and smiles.

OY! You used the correct version of 'there, They're, Their!!!!! You don't belong on 'ere.

Hopefully, the next step is the bin.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

16 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin MissInk78 pinklilly SJH30
bogan browny7 Edphoto Fluffypup George99 Hazy martinchristie photostevo redtail RenedeHaan sammylhel Steveh32