This thread is being watched by 2 people
Dragon Graffix is off-line
20 April 2014 10:04
DragonGraffix
Photographer

Hampshire
Portsmouth

Quote from ATVLONDON
@ DragonGrafix. I am with you to a certain degree on this. But I'm afraid it's a problem that features on all these internet photographer/model sites. You just have to let it go and move on. For what it's worth I had a thread running on Net Portfolio about that very subject and it ran for about 26 pages. But you just have to understand that people will not always want to reply, or be bothered about replying. I stay with Purestorm because it is pretty good when it comes to models replying to me, but on that Purple site it was useless, hence this is the only site I use now.

I tend to agree with you here. I got involved in this thread supporting another contributer that appeared to be getting a 'hard' time from other contributors.
my last few posts nave not really been about the issue, whether models should reply to photographers, but of contributors making obtuse and derisory remarks about other contributors to these forums because they cannot construct a reasoned argument themselves.

A case in point is HowardJ who just remarked: "I found a rattle and a cuddly toy on the floor. Do they belong to anyone?"
Yet earlier he states:"I think I've figured out why PS is quiet. it's because we have too many of these HowardJ is a naughty person ed up arguments going on and it puts people off. Just take it on the chin and move on. It often seems to feeling like blokes having an argument in a pub on here and they don't have option of stepping outside to figure out whose cock really is the biggest. "PS where the grumpy argumentative ppl hang out who spend their time arguing rather than sharing knowledge, giving advice and taking photographs" Let's focus on positives and photography which seems to be what other sites do.

Perhaps he should take his own advice rather than m,aking spurious immature comments that only serve to aggravate rather than constructively contribute!
"Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical." - Sophia Loren

20 April 2014 10:24
ATVLONDON
Photographer

Yep it's the same scenario that I found with camera clubs in the 1980's and 90's. But I'll tell you that the Purple site is much worse. You will get the same old know alls hogging the forums over there and you will never win a debate with them. We all have opinions and we ain't going to let anyone change them and some people will come on for a bit of baiting and arguing. I wonder how many of them are quaffing wine as they type? There is one guy on PP who will remain nameless but lives somwhere in Europe.  He seems to inhabit those forums with such regularity that I'm beginning to think he is a robot that never sleeps.  It's quite remarkable that he has the energy to stay up all night and day typing in his pathetic little posts.  Right must go.  I'm cooking a family banquet and quaffing wine....
My doctor told me I've only got 6 months to live. Then I told him I couldn't pay him... so he gave me another 6 months.

Neil Anderson is off-line
20 April 2014 11:05
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from DragonGraffix
I tend to agree with you here. I got involved in this thread supporting another contributer that appeared to be getting a 'hard' time from other contributors.

The reason that the other contributor was getting a hard time was because he said he had moved his attentions to another site, but then claimed it was this site he was 'bored with' because models didn't reply to his e-mails. Apart from anything else a huge divergence from the actual original substance of this thread.

I asked him why he had chosen to 'slum it' in the purestorm forms and his answer was 'can if i want to' - that is true but doesn't explain why someone enjoying the exciting new world elsewhere would come back and post moans here. I can only assume that he had got bored with the saccharine he had encountered on his new home and had come back here for some robust debate.

As Gerry broadly said, every time a photographer writes back to a model who has rejected his photographic advances it convinces another model that it's better to just ignore mails from people they don't have any interest in working with. So when a model doesn't reply just remember that it may be because she has encountered a photographer who thinks he can 'help her' by telling her how rude she is, or what an opportunity she is missing by not working with him. So blame that unknown photographer when she appears to treat you impolitely. There were HINTS in the other contributor's post that he MIGHT be one of those...and I think this caused some of the strong responses.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Barry_From_Truro  is off-line
20 April 2014 11:35
Shootsyou
Photographer

Cornwall
Truro

Quote from stolenfaces

The reason that the other contributor was getting a hard time was because he said he had moved his attentions to another site, but then claimed it was this site he was 'bored with' because models didn't reply to his e-mails. Apart from anything else a huge divergence from the actual original substance of this thread.

I asked him why he had chosen to 'slum it' in the purestorm forms and his answer was 'can if i want to' - that is true but doesn't explain why someone enjoying the exciting new world elsewhere would come back and post moans here. I can only assume that he had got bored with the saccharine he had encountered on his new home and had come back here for some robust debate.

As Gerry broadly said, every time a photographer writes back to a model who has rejected his photographic advances it convinces another model that it's better to just ignore mails from people they don't have any interest in working with. So when a model doesn't reply just remember that it may be because she has encountered a photographer who thinks he can 'help her' by telling her how rude she is, or what an opportunity she is missing by not working with him. So blame that unknown photographer when she appears to treat you impolitely. There were HINTS in the other contributor's post that he MIGHT be one of those...and I think this caused some of the strong responses.

I think you should read my post again !!!!!

Nowhere in my post did I say I had moved onto another site, and my answer was as a member the same as you I am entitled to post in these forums.

And as for HINTS in my post that I MIGHT be one of those whatever that is, maybe you should go back and read it again, the only remark I made was I thought it is rude not to reply and I will stand by that.

I just feel some come onto these Forums to create problems to get reactions from other users and wind them up, that's fine if that's what they wish to do, but if you are going to make comments about a post at least get it right.

Neil Anderson is off-line
20 April 2014 11:54
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Yes you are allowed to post here ... entitled ?? what does that mean. Technically you are able to post here due to the largesse of the site owners ( and to some extent the cash of paying members)

I'm telling you how I read your post, and I assume from their posts, how others also read it.
If your posts are so easily misconstrued maybe that's what's happens with your messages with models.

I did go back and read your post and realise now that parts of it are really intelligible. Maybe the 'favourite site' is a quote from the model but on balance it seems to be something you are saying

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Dragon Graffix is off-line
20 April 2014 14:21
DragonGraffix
Photographer

Hampshire
Portsmouth

Quote from stolenfaces
Yes you are allowed to post here ... entitled ?? what does that mean. Technically you are able to post here due to the largesse of the site owners ( and to some extent the cash of paying members) I'm telling you how I read your post, and I assume from their posts, how others also read it. If your posts are so easily misconstrued maybe that's what's happens with your messages with models. I did go back and read your post and realise now that parts of it are really intelligible. Maybe the 'favourite site' is a quote from the model but on balance it seems to be something you are saying

Having read Shootsyou's post again it seems clear with what he was saying. Part of the issue here is the way that you responded to Shootsyou in the first place, namely:

" .......... [model in question] .....she may have to put up with people who write back pleading or insulting (which it does sound like you might do)."

Shootsyou's post does not give any intimation that he is a person who would be "pleading" or "insulting" a model as you have suggested. That is a personal, derisory, and obtuse statement to make, and, I believe, you had no right doing so!

This whole part of this thread is about whether models should respond to approaaches made by photographers. Some believe that it is good manners for them to respond. Others belive that it is acceptable for models not to respond if they do nopt wish so. There are several points of view that can be made without maing spurious, derisory, unfounded, and obtuse comments about the person that has posted, especially when they have not been derisory themselves!

Unfortunately, I believe, like many others, is one of the main reasons why Purestorm members do not use (and have never used) these forums!
"Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical." - Sophia Loren

Preswylfa is off-line
20 April 2014 17:15
gwentman
Photographer
gwentman
Caerphilly
Blackwood

Quote from DragonGraffix
Having read Shootsyou's post again it seems clear with what he was saying. Part of the issue here is the way that you responded to Shootsyou in the first place, namely:

" .......... [model in question] .....she may have to put up with people who write back pleading or insulting (which it does sound like you might do)."

Shootsyou's post does not give any intimation that he is a person who would be "pleading" or "insulting" a model as you have suggested. That is a personal, derisory, and obtuse statement to make, and, I believe, you had no right doing so!

This whole part of this thread is about whether models should respond to approaaches made by photographers. Some believe that it is good manners for them to respond. Others belive that it is acceptable for models not to respond if they do nopt wish so. There are several points of view that can be made without maing spurious, derisory, unfounded, and obtuse comments about the person that has posted, especially when they have not been derisory themselves!

Unfortunately, I believe, like many others, is one of the main reasons why Purestorm members do not use (and have never used) these forums!

Well said.

Mike

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
basil cygnet Modtog1976 PDCPhotos Platidonio