This thread is being watched by 2 people
HowardJ is off-line
19 April 2014 18:45
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I think I've figured out why PS is quiet. it's because we have too many of these HowardJ is a naughty person ed up arguments going on and it puts people off. Just take it on the chin and move on. It often seems to feeling like blokes having an argument in a pub on here and they don't have option of stepping outside to figure out whose cock really is the biggest.

"PS where the grumpy argumentative ppl hang out who spend their time arguing rather than sharing knowledge, giving advice and taking photographs"

Let's focus on positives and photography which seems to be what other sites do.

Gerry is off-line
19 April 2014 18:58
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Its quiet because most of the models have gone and they never had anything to do with the forums.

There seems to be a disease amongst some photographers who want to blame models for why they cannot get shoots.

It is of no consequence to me as I have no trouble getting replies or shoots. It seems some of them are not interested in doing what is necessary to change their own outlook and approach and instead still want to blame the models.

There wont be any models left at all if this moaning doesn't stop and then what will the site be - a winging forum with nothing else to offer?
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Dragon Graffix is off-line
19 April 2014 19:03
DragonGraffix
Photographer

Hampshire
Portsmouth

Quote from HowardJ
I think I've figured out why PS is quiet. it's because we have too many of these DragonGraffix is a naughty person ed up arguments going on and it puts people off. Just take it on the chin and move on. It often seems to feeling like blokes having an argument in a pub on here and they don't have option of stepping outside to figure out whose cock really is the biggest. "PS where the grumpy argumentative ppl hang out who spend their time arguing rather than sharing knowledge, giving advice and taking photographs" Let's focus on positives and photography which seems to be what other sites do.

Although I agree with your sentiment, it is healthy to have debate, especially on this 'General' forum. The trouble is, and always has been, that some forum contributers cannot resist taking a personal, or ridiculing, swipe at others contributers as they cannot make a plausible and sensible argument themselves!
Unfortunately it is comments such as those you have made that only serve to fuel the 'arguments' that you believe puts people off!
"Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical." - Sophia Loren

Ron Williams is off-lineSilver Member
19 April 2014 20:35
RonA
Photographer
RonA
Kent
Bexley

Obviously a topic that models are not getting their knickers in a twist about - only Chrissie (so far) has proffered a view from a model's perspective.

Neil Anderson is off-line
19 April 2014 21:33
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from DragonGraffix
What has writing back to people who e-mail offering opportunities in Nigeria anything to do with this thread. Or, is this your attempt at humour? Most people know of the 'Africa eMail Scams'. This is about a photographer that contacts a model, and a model replying to the photographer!

It is, I believe, obtuse remarks like this that have driven users of Purestorm forums away. You only have to look at the same threads on the front forum page month in month out. If you cannot make a point without reverting to obtuse remarks, then I feel sorry for you!

Where do you draw the line at which e-mails you reply to politely then ?
It's not an obtuse comment, just because you are bemused by it.
You just come back with the old 'intelligent arguments drive people away from forums' line
(Obviously I'm para-phrasing you there).

As you say this topic of not replying to cold calling has been done to death,
Repetition of the same dreary points may be more likely to drive people away from the forums ....
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

20 April 2014 07:21
DragonGraffix
Photographer

Hampshire
Portsmouth

Quote from stolenfaces
Where do you draw the line at which e-mails you reply to politely then ? It's not an obtuse comment, just because you are bemused by it. You just come back with the old 'intelligent arguments drive people away from forums' line (Obviously I'm para-phrasing you there). As you say this topic of not replying to cold calling has been done to death, Repetition of the same dreary points may be more likely to drive people away from the forums ....

As I said in my original post "If a polite message is sent it should be met with a reply, that is good manners." If an approach is disrespectful in any way (which, based on messages models have shown me), of course, should be ignored. Tthat is not being rude at all!

Actually, your comment was obtuse. It had absolutely nothing to do with a point that was trying to be made!
"Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical." - Sophia Loren

Neil Anderson is off-line
20 April 2014 07:52
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from DragonGraffix

Actually, your comment was obtuse. It had absolutely nothing to do with a point that was trying to be made!

To spell it out ( I had thought it rude to treat you as a child by spelling it out, but as you insist):
1) People (including you) do not usually reply to spam.
2) People's definition of spam is entirely personal.
3) Your definition of spam may not ever include messages from models.
4) Messages from models who have cut and paste a message along the lines of 'luv your work, please pay me to work with me' come into my definition of spam (the more obviously personal the message and closeness of the model to the type I normally shoot, may make me liable to reply or even take an interest in the model). I don't want to write back and say 'I don't work with fat girls' or 'I hate your tattoos' (for example). So a polite response would be a lie, pleasant lies take some time to construct and I don't feel any obligation to spend that time when a 'no reply' is a clear answer.

In fact a bunch of 'polite lies' declines are not much help to a model who really wants to hear from people who may at some point be interested in working with them. Lots of useless replies are just noise.
[I assume that broadly the same thoughts apply in reverse for models receiving cold calls from photographers)

I do broadly agree that it is rude not to reply to casting respondents (if they actually fit the criteria and have read the casting).
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

20 April 2014 08:20
DragonGraffix
Photographer

Hampshire
Portsmouth

Quote from stolenfaces
To spell it out ( I had thought it rude to treat you as a child by spelling it out, but as you insist): 1) People (including you) do not usually reply to spam. 2) People's definition of spam is entirely personal. 3) Your definition of spam may not ever include messages from models. 4) Messages from models who have cut and paste a message along the lines of 'luv your work, please pay me to work with me' come into my definition of spam (the more obviously personal the message and closeness of the model to the type I normally shoot, may make me liable to reply or even take an interest in the model). I don't want to write back and say 'I don't work with fat girls' or 'I hate your tattoos' (for example). So a polite response would be a lie, pleasant lies take some time to construct and I don't feel any obligation to spend that time when a 'no reply' is a clear answer. In fact a bunch of 'polite lies' declines are not much help to a model who really wants to hear from people who may at some point be interested in working with them. Lots of useless replies are just noise. [I assume that broadly the same thoughts apply in reverse for models receiving cold calls from photographers) I do broadly agree that it is rude not to reply to casting respondents (if they actually fit the criteria and have read the casting).

You make some very salient points. Unfortunately they are mared by your opening statement "To spell it out ( I had thought it rude to treat you as a child by spelling it out, but as you insist)". This is again, another one of your obtuse statements, has no relevance to the issues being discussed, is derisory, and perhaps reflects on the fact that you may be the juvinile that you are inferring to in your statement!

HowardJ is off-line
20 April 2014 09:09
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I found a rattle and a cuddly toy on the floor. Do they belong to anyone?

20 April 2014 09:44
ATVLONDON
Photographer

@ DragonGrafix. I am with you to a certain degree on this. But I'm afraid it's a problem that features on all these internet photographer/model sites. You just have to let it go and move on. For what it's worth I had a thread running on Net Portfolio about that very subject and it ran for about 26 pages. But you just have to understand that people will not always want to reply, or be bothered about replying. I stay with Purestorm because it is pretty good when it comes to models replying to me, but on that Purple site it was useless, hence this is the only site I use now.
My doctor told me I've only got 6 months to live. Then I told him I couldn't pay him... so he gave me another 6 months.

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
HazelAries missminiskirt winX
antoinewynn bernadinism casell clarmike cliffc dorrian duncanjames eosfan freddie Impression James7799 Johnathons keltica Kjoservices Lumen Nunude orca_photography snapdragon swalsh58 Thunder_Photos