Reminder Secure

Canon 5d iii with wifi.... and almost every other Canon too!

Paul Venn is off-lineSilver Member
29 March 2014 03:34
jpv
Photographer
jpv
Norfolk
Norwich

Quote from RedChecker

As for the WIFI modules, what's also annoying is that each camera has its own unique one (pretty much), so if you've bought one for a 1DsIII it'll probably not work on a 1DX (I haven't checked though). 

I've tried and it won't!

I'm also "addicted" to wireless connection and have used it on both the 5D and currently on my 1Ds Mk111. Many reasons for it but mostly my eyesight and communication with the model. I agree that the £600-700 that canon want for their offerings seems extortionate. I had decided that when I next upgrade I would use the Camranger device, but will investigate this new "solution".

If anyone is interested the Camranger will work in conjunction with the Canon wft device so you can have a laptop in the studio and the Tablet elsewhere (within range). The camranger is also very useful for landscapes.

As regards to rich mans toys, the main reason I chose the 1D was that "it felt right" in my hands. Whilst not a Topcon 1Dm (which I still find the best fit for me) the 1D series fits me better than anything else I have tried. It also helps that I got mine at a BARGAIN price.

Matthew G is off-line
29 March 2014 09:55
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

I've now been using this for 5 days without one skip of a beat. The really nice thing about it is it turns your monitor on your camera off so that you save batteries. It has its own internal battery and comes complete with charger too. They quote 7 to 8 hours battery life I think but using it with the custom firmware I read shortens it to around 3 hours. It does not drain your cameras battery in the slightest and I'm sure you can get spare batteries for it too. The entire setup cost me £41 including the software.... The biggest drawback for me is I use it on my Samsung Galaxy phone and not my ipad as it is only compatible with Android. Its 10cm high, 6 wide and 1.6 deep.

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
29 March 2014 10:29
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

So basically this is just USB tethering to a computer, then the computer re-transmits... except the computer is small enough to carry?

Kizer is off-lineSilver Member
30 March 2014 02:51
Kizer
Photographer
Kizer
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

Those that have two card slots in the camera ie. cf and sd slots it's cheaper to buy a sd wi fi card!

Matthew G is off-line
30 March 2014 05:34
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Quote from Kizer
Those that have two card slots in the camera ie. cf and sd slots it's cheaper to buy a sd wi fi card!

I considered this option but i understand that eyefi cards dont support live view or give you the controls that you need? I use mine to demonstrate so i need to be able to change all of the settings such as iso, wb, shutter speed, aperture, focus etc. These also work perfectly for shooting video with too. You can focus whilst recording.

26 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
caz0054 hayleyrooney pinklilly REDXXX Tashaholz
bazza53 dorrian George99 jayfish Jobbo51 keltica Ladiesman Matt1988 mauricesimagery mikeA mlp MrDL nik300 ownimage panda49 RealityImaging Spiritofwales steveh32 tms Vinceb Willy_O