Reminder Secure

Canon 5d iii with wifi.... and almost every other Canon too!

Matthew G is off-line
26 March 2014 18:07
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Just thought I would share this with you. Im a Canon 6d user. I swapped from the 5dii to the 6 d last year. I have to confess to having a very love hate relationship with this camera. It's an amazing Camera and nobody can deny that. ... but I don't like it. I love what it can do. I live the iso preforms Feel. I live the low light focusing but I still don't live using it. So I fanged a dilemma. I need NEED wifi on it. It's not a toy for me. It's a must. The 5d3 is 650 quid more expensive if you shop around so us I can justify the extra. .. but no wifi is a killer and the 400 to 500 that canon charge for the transmitter is crazy money! So the solution. .. tried, tested and works perfectly...

a modified 35 quid mini 4g wifi router. Just outstanding and links straight to most android devices and gives you ten times. No camera hacking involved whatsoever. So far I tested it on a 40d, 7d, 5dii, 5diii and yes for luck a 6d too!....

So maybe im so far behind with technology that you have all been using this for years.... but I thought I'd share it with you guys.

Forgive any typos... I did this post on my phone using predictive words so apologies if it makes little sense@

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
26 March 2014 18:14
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The 6D is classed (by Canon) as a consumer camera

The 5D is classed (by Canon) as a professional camera.

I agree the costs are somewhat prohibitive but professionals should be able to afford the upgrades as required on pro-grade bodies. I get the impression that the wireless range on the 5D/1D WIFI modules is greater anyway than the likes of the 6D (and may well be needed for actual working conditions such as event photography).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Matthew G is off-line
26 March 2014 20:49
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

My post translated in to English :-)

Just thought I would share this with you. Im a Canon 6d user. I swapped from the 5dii to the 6d last year. I have to confess to having a very love / hate relationship with this camera. It's an amazing Camera and nobody can deny that. ... but I don't like it. I love what it can do. I love how the iso preforms. I love the low light focusing but I still don't like using it. So I faced a dilemma. I need NEED wifi on it. It's not a toy for me. It's a must. The 5d3 is 650 quid more expensive if you shop around so I can justify the extra. .. but no wifi is a killer and the £400 to£500 that canon charge for the transmitter is crazy money! So the solution. .. tried, tested and works perfectly...

a modified 35 quid mini 4g wifi router. Just outstanding and links straight to most android devices and gives you ten times. No camera hacking involved whatsoever. So far I have tested it on a 40d, 7d, 5dii, 5diii and yes for luck a 6d too!....

So maybe I'm so far behind with technology that you have all been using this for years.... but I thought I'd share it with you guys.

Matthew G is off-line
26 March 2014 20:54
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Quote from RedChecker
The 6D is classed (by Canon) as a consumer camera The 5D is classed (by Canon) as a professional camera. I agree the costs are somewhat prohibitive but professionals should be able to afford the upgrades as required on pro-grade bodies. I get the impression that the wireless range on the 5D/1D WIFI modules is greater anyway than the likes of the 6D (and may well be needed for actual working conditions such as event photography).

Quite true Steve, As I said, I know you have one and you can't knock it. its a lovely camera. It is just how it feels in your hand that I don't like. If you'd never used a 5DIII then the 6D feels great biut its just when you compare them. You get what you pay for. I think most people recognise that both are fairly professional cameras. I never understand the argument that many people put up.... That if you earn money out of photography then you can afford the best... Most professional photographers don't earn anything like what other professionals earn. the industry is far from great paying anymore. Consumers tend to buy what they want, professionals tend to buy what they can get away with for the job that theyre doing... At the moment I have both the 5DIII and the 6D and I'll live with this for now. I still love my 6D, its just that I also dislike it too :-) haha... 

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
27 March 2014 01:13
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

You have to imagine the Canon factory guy designing a consumer camera and deliberately making it feel less 'right' in the hands than a professional one. If they are charging hundreds or thousands more for some models they have to make them stand out somehow not just to professionals.I've seen a few Canon 1D models in people's homes and I'd say 30% were owned by working photographers and 70% by rich blokes who just bought the best camera that cost the most. Hence the presence of those auto modes etc that not even a competent amateur would even think of using. And without all the rich blokes buying the best and forking out six grand a pop, perhaps there wouldn't be enough of a market for premium cameras to get developed for actual pro camera users to buy.

27 March 2014 02:20
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from cziiki
You have to imagine the Canon factory guy designing a consumer camera and deliberately making it feel less 'right' in the hands than a professional one.

This wouldn't surprise me at all.  It even extends to the quality of the trigger button as well, or at least it used to, the 1-series buttons were always nice/smooth to use wheras consumer models were a bit hit/miss (a bit like a knackered clutch on an old small car compared to a nice new one on a decent car).

As for the WIFI modules, what's also annoying is that each camera has its own unique one (pretty much), so if you've bought one for a 1DsIII it'll probably not work on a 1DX (I haven't checked though).   One thing they do have IIRC is ethernet connections as well which is something you'll not get with consumer models so you are getting a little more for your money over & above the consumer models.

Back to the 6D... my only real gripe is the AF point selection as it's quite slow & cumbersome whereas the 5D has a nice little joystick that you can quickly & easily direct to the AF point you need.  If I were shooting glamour/adult sets for a living for example, I'd be pretty RedChecker is a naughty person ed off with using a 6D for this very reason as I do use all of the AF points on my 5D (mk1) and 6D.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Profile Pictures is off-line
27 March 2014 04:49
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Back to the OP, can you give me a little more detail on what it is you discovered, is it a plug in thingy or what? I'm confused here!

Anthonygh is off-line
27 March 2014 08:42
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

People might remember the 1V and the EOS3 film cameras.

The 1V was the 'pro' camera (and obviously so) whereas the EOS3 was the prosumer model.

The problem for Canon was the EOS3 did 99% 0f what the 1V did, had great build quality...and cost half the price (£600ish).

Consequently many pros went straight to the 3 for their main camera and many 1V owners bought a 3 as a backup.

(That was my position.....and when I use 35mm film I still tend to use the 3 in preference to my 1V...it is that good)

Canon probably decided not to make that mistake again and ensured quite clearly differentiated quality levels with their digital lines.....although a lot of people think Canon 'got it wrong' with the 5D mk3.....it looks like many pros have opted for it over the 1 series bodies.

27 March 2014 08:48
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from anthonyh
People might remember the 1V and the EOS3 film cameras. The 1V was the 'pro' camera (and obviously so) whereas the EOS3 was the prosumer model. The problem for Canon was the EOS3 did 99% 0f what the 1V did, had great build quality...and cost half the price (£600ish). Consequently many pros went straight to the 3 for their main camera and many 1V owners bought a 3 as a backup.

I think Canon learned a valuable lesson from that one.

The differences were (IIRC):

1v - metal body, water/dust sealed     3 - plastic body, no sealing
1v - standard eyepiece but with 100% coverage   3 - 97% coverage and with that fancy focus assist that looked at your eye
1v - was IR film compatible, the three was not
1v - had a special shutter guaranteed to 150,000 actualtions, the 3 had a standard shutter (guessing ~50-100,000 actuations)
1v's shutter didn't consume power in bulb mode, the 3 did

I bought the 1v for the IR capability as I wanted to shoot anything & everything.  Rarely used it (and it certainly never had any IR film pass through it)

Matthew G is off-line
27 March 2014 08:59
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Its a TP-Link TL-MR3040 with DSLRCONTROLLER

http://www.dslrcontroller.com

Buy a TP Link for around £35. connect to it wirelessly, update the firmware and the buy dslcontroller for £6. Use the original usb connector to connect to the camera and youre done.

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alicestar Stratman79
Spiritofwales