Reminder Secure

Scanning negatives

22 March 2014 19:15
PJPhotograper
Photographer

Thinking of sending old negatives to a pro lab to scan for me , saves me the trouble and the cost of buying a scanner . Can any one recommend a lab ?.

BladeRunner is off-line
22 March 2014 20:49
Steve_Stanford
Photographer
Steve_Stanford
Cheshire
Warrington

You could try Peak Imaging, but unless you can broker a deal your wallet will be emptied very quickly.

Simon Young is off-lineSilver Member
23 March 2014 03:13
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Gloucestershire

Depends how many and what size and what final quality you want. Every high street developer will have a neg scanner. If you get to know a lab manager..
In the "Information Age", continued ignorance must be a choice motivated initially through inherited beliefs.

Nick Skinner is off-line
23 March 2014 06:50
snapper47
Photographer

West Sussex
Horsham

I use an Epson Perfection V700, and scan into Aperture. I bought this scanner after a having a few scanned commercially, and being disappointed with the results. I have boxes and boxes of unfiled and un-captioned material, some of which my agency requested. They demand extremely high file sizes, which makes the operation slow, and I keep getting distracted by coming across old family negatives which I can never resist. The Epson works well but without contact sheets for many of the negatives, you may need to scan them all to find the best frames, its laborious work. The only fault encountered, solved by some one here on Purestorm, was when it packed up completely, and the lead between the base unit and the lid being the culprit, it works loose with constant use and needs to be firmly in place. Years ago I had an early Nikon Coolscan and the Epson produces far superior results. Also it will scan virtually all negative sizes of film, even if the negative holders are a little flimsy and fiddly, aftermarket more substantial ones are available. If you only have a few to do then I am sure you could find a pro lab to do a good job, if like me you have boxes and boxes, plus have the time, an Epson or other scanner might be a worthwhile purchase.

19 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Cazzief Sammy_Louise
Brian2008 cliffc dirkus DjingoLaa ellessephotography frankpht funky gazzer59 hylander john_at_tina_spice jorgeliz Kjoservices panda49 read steeee212 Studio1