Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
20 March 2014 12:19
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

Quote from OldMaster

Lenses again I have never seen the point of buying new, not much to go wrong and again if "mint" a worthwhile saving and if looked after probably little loss if you resell?

I'm not sure I totally agree, lenses are sensitive souls, if dropped or miss-used its possible they wont focus well, front/back focus issues. VR systems can get damaged or the lens from new was never working correctly and gets passed on. Over the years I've sent loads of lens off for calibration, unreported dirt too can be an issue, Fungus not identified , there might be a stiffness in the focus ring that's not normal, a multitude of factors, I've found on EBay there's a disproportionate amount of duff gear on sale there, from a purchase point of view I've always felt confident if its a UK purchase and now tend to steer away from imported goods, but its not always possible. Even brand new from DigitalRev I've had faulty lens issues costing me the repair then claiming back from the seller.

20 March 2014 13:47
ATVLONDON
Photographer

Quote from OldMaster
My experience of e bay as a buyer is different and always been satisfactory. When it comes to photo gear though I usually buy second hand, mint or mint- from companies such as ffordes. Always brilliant service and always spot on with the condition. Paid £565 for a mint d300s from them and with the mint grip saved over £700 I estimate. Lenses again I have never seen the point of buying new, not much to go wrong and again if "mint" a worthwhile saving and if looked after probably little loss if you resell?

I agree Ffordes are a great company to do business with.  I was at school with Steve Byford and have bought and sold gear through his shop since he was based in Basildon in the late 1970's. Hope you read this Steve, just giving you a plug.
My doctor told me I've only got 6 months to live. Then I told him I couldn't pay him... so he gave me another 6 months.

Laurence Power is off-line
21 March 2014 04:23
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

Well I am pleased to report that EBay are taking notice, they've come back saying that they will contact the member and insist on the correct lens is returned. I have agreed to hold off on my police report until Wednesday of next week, if the lens is not in the post by then the report goes in. We will have to see what transpires.
Laurence J. Power

Glasgow Photographer is off-line
21 March 2014 07:49
GlasgowPhotographer
Photographer
GlasgowPhotographer
Strathclyde
Glasgow

I would still report the matter to the police as it is fraud, pure and simple. Might not be the crime of the century but still a crime.

next time (if there is a next time) video the packing of the item and off to the post office with full insurance cover.
Regards, George http://www.monapics.com/html/blog.html

Chrissie Red is off-line
21 March 2014 09:10
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I remember years ago pre-ordering a computer game from somebody on ebay who claimed that they were getting a bulk order in so could offer it at a slightly cheaper rate.

I ended up getting an e-mail from a police officer down in England basically asking me if I had any contact with the seller to report it to the police as the person was being investigated over it. I'm guessing e-bay handed over all the buyers details to the police. We got our money back no problem.

I recently tried ordering an evening wedding dress for my reception and the seller failed to deliver (I gave her 3 weeks extra because she said she was busy). Anyway when you report on etsy the sellers shop closes down until they respond and resolve your case. I got my money back and left a negative feedback and within 4 days 3 other buyers contacted me asking how they can go about getting their refund from the seller as they were also left waiting weeks longer than they should have. I'm guessing the seller is officially no longer allowed to sell on etsy any more.

I do hope your issue gets resolved, I gave up with ebay a long time ago as a seller - it just seemed like too much bother.

Tony Stephenson is off-line
21 March 2014 10:34
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

I must say I've had very good experiences buying from eBay but have never sold anything on there so I have that yet to come.

I've bought many lenses and the odd camera and with the exception of two lenses which I returned, one due to excess dust in the lens and the other with fungus, I've had no problens.
In fact both sellers were very apologetic and seemed genuinely unaware of the faults and I received a bank transfer on each occasion the same day they received the lenses back so I really couldn't leave them bad feedback as they behaved perfectly.

I feel for the OP and just hope that the crook who purchased his lens, gets what's coming to him - my only advice to selling such items on eBay would be to restrict any potential buyers to the UK and then there is some comeback with the aid of the police if they try that one on with sellers!

www.le-femme.co.uk

Nick Skinner is off-line
24 March 2014 07:06
snapper47
Photographer

West Sussex
Horsham

Ripped off for £160 once selling a lens, never got lens back. My dealings with Ebay over it were totally unsatisfactory, to such an extent I feel they were complicit in this theft. never dealt with them or Paypal again, nor will I.

Peter Roach is off-lineGold Member
24 March 2014 22:26
flashysnapper
Photographer
flashysnapper
Staffordshire
burton on trent

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10706403/Man-texts-Gumtree-fraud-entire-works-of-Shakespeare.html
See above for revenge on fraudsters

25 March 2014 09:40
BaileyK
Model

We had a similar issue with a petrol toy car we sent,
The prick biscuit, as he shall be named, claimed he never received it... Paypal gave him his money back & low and behold Post Office said he was known for doing it!

Baffles me that these buttmunchers get away with your stuff and hard earned money.

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
CIEGE_CJ Craigchesham
andygstudios