Reminder Secure

Resizing

Mise eire Ireland is off-line
17 March 2014 09:09
eire
Photographer

Dublin
dublin

Hi i have credit to get a poster print fron Photobox.Size 40x30 inches but it will not accept file over 10m and as a 40x30 by even 72dpi works out at 17.5m How am to solve this as Photobox are not very helpful with this.
Thanks

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
17 March 2014 09:11
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Try someone else.

If they're going to advertise poster printing, they should also allow for file sizes to increase accordingly.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Claypaws is onlineGold Member
17 March 2014 10:14
Claypaws
Photographer

North Yorkshire

The file does not need to be anywhere near as large as 10MB for a print 40x30 inches. 150 pixels per inch or even 100 pixels per inch will be adequate for a large print. So for 40x30 inches you need 6000x4500 pixels or even 4000x3000 pixels. The exact number of pixels is not really relevant as print services, such as Photobox, will resize at runtime to whatever dimensions you have chosen.

Assuming your file is something like that number of pixels, simply save it as a .jpg at quality level 8 in Photoshop or any other photo editor. You will probably get a file somewhere between 1MB and 5MB, depending on the image.

Chris is off-line
20 April 2014 05:11
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Essex
Near East London

Try saving the image as a jpg at best quality, if you have it already saved as a tiff or some other type of file. But I wouldn't reduce the dpi. I save mine at 300 dpi.

Paul Hodson is off-line
20 April 2014 05:19
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Simply save your image at the jpg compression which keeps it under 10 Mb and send them that. The pixel dimensions are what they are and as Claypaws said, they will resize it.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
20 April 2014 05:34
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

CCP - what's this 100 megapixel camera you're shooting to produce a 40x30 at 300dpi?

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Abbigoodchild
antoinewynn bbphotos carshaltonkev claypaws david1500 draken gwentman hylander Jb3329 JohnDentonPhoto jonnywoo modelboutique Myview nemesis paulq rod_m99 RonA ScottMCCCXIV Sp_digital steveh32 thelook