Dave Beasley is off-line
17 March 2014 10:03
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Hi all,
I'm just about to take the plunge and buy a set of portable lights - Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Lithium 'A' heads and want to get any other bits and pieces at the same time, so I'm ready to shoot straight away, so question is - which soft boxes/umbrellas do those of you who have these lights, use as a general rule? Up to now, I have mostly used Lastolite Umbrellaboxes with my Profoto Compact 600s, but guess they are too big/heavy for the Elinchrom.

Any other essential purchases/tips/hints etc on using and owning these lights would be appreciated.

Dave

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
17 March 2014 11:33
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

There are a couple of dedicated Ranger soft boxes, a 40x40 cm and a 56cm octa, both directly fit the ranger head the octa is better for me as you can also use it as a beauty dish, I have the deflector set as well.
I have an Elinchrom EL adaptor, for the Quadra, which is good for larger soft boxes as the adaptor takes the 'strain' and good for larger umbrellas.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
17 March 2014 11:40
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The 90cm (I think) Elinchrom Octa produces a lovely light with the Ranger Quadra.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Gerry is off-line
17 March 2014 12:00
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

I use them with the EL adapter and Rotolux softboxes.

For outdoor location work, I often take just 1 head, with the Wilson cap to protect the tube, the EL adapter, 1 nano stand, and the Rotolux 75 cm deep octa softbox.

I can then get the camera, battery, lead, head and sundries in a small rucksack and the nano stand, softbox and EL adapter in the Rotolux bag. I then can move around very easily and don't stand out when walking with the model to locations.

If you are shooting outdoor nudes in public, and want to use flash, you really should use a softbox and the rotolux are the only things that can open and shut like an umbrella and need no assembly.

If I was going to use them in a more controlled environment, any of my rotoluxes will work with the exception of the heavier strip light with its grid fitted
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

HowardJ is off-line
17 March 2014 13:15
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from Gerry99111
I use them with the EL adapter and Rotolux softboxes.

+1

I'm trying out the westcox double fold umbrellas for location work.

CSD Images is off-line
18 March 2014 09:55
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

Another modifier I like using is the Varistar umbrella softbox (or one of many knock offs). Great for quick lighting a location. However most times I'll stick to either the Octa Deep or the hard light of the head as I prefer the lighting.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

PeterB is off-lineGold Member
18 March 2014 15:01
pvfb
Photographer
pvfb
Surrey
Hampton Court

The Elinchrom 66x66cm Portalite softbox (the cheap one that comes in the kits) is light enough, with care, to fit on a Quadra head directly (ie not using the adaptor) if you substitute the standard aluminium speedring for the Quadra (white plastic) speedring from the aforementioned Quadra 40x40cm (they used to be available as spare part).

I use both, sharing the speedring as necessary, the 40x40 is quite handy and small enough from a windage point of view to use outside, whilst the 60x60 is fine indoors as being so light (no internal baffle) the Quadra's lightweight tilt lock is perfectly happy which is more than can be said for some of the 3rd party other Quadra direct fits.

Dave Beasley is off-line
18 March 2014 15:51
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Thanks everyone for all the useful tips etc. I should be picking up the lights next Tuesday and shooting ASAP thereafter.

raw and the cooked is off-line
18 March 2014 15:51
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

Lastolite make a quadra adaptor, i have one for a hotrod strip soft box, which I also use with speed lights. I assume they also work with some of their other soft boxes!

Claypaws is off-lineGold Member
18 March 2014 20:29
Claypaws
Photographer

North Yorkshire

Quote from pvfb
The Elinchrom 66x66cm Portalite softbox (the cheap one that comes in the kits) is light enough, with care, to fit on a Quadra head directly (ie not using the adaptor) if you substitute the standard aluminium speedring for the Quadra (white plastic) speedring from the aforementioned Quadra 40x40cm (they used to be available as spare part).

If you (the OP) wish to go down this route, I have a pair of those softboxes for sale including the standard white speedrings (i.e. the ones that come with the Portalites), never used. If you are interested, please PM me. I cannot comment on their suitability as I never use softboxes at all.

8 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
laceylooxxx Sarad
diphoto FlashHarry100 NickWoodLandscapART philippahh Spiritofwales xsync