Reminder Secure

PM preview in email notifications?

14 March 2014 06:54
GemH
Model

I just wondered if any/some/all accounts have the function of being able to view the text of a PM within the email notification, which means you don't have to login to PS to read the email (though you obviously would to reply!)

Not that it's a big deal, I'm just being nosey!

Fanks peeps x

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
14 March 2014 06:56
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I've never seen it (and I'm platinum), would be handy though.

It would also be handy not to mark a message as 'read' when you use the message preview button on here.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

14 March 2014 07:02
GemH
Model

Quote from RedChecker
It would also be handy not to mark a message as 'read' when you use the message preview button on here.

So there IS a way of previewing the text of a message without opening it? But it marks the message read? But, at present, there is no way of reading it without it being marked as read? Is the preview thing only for platinum?

Is that right? (I'm a bit slow today hence the dumbing down to clarify.)

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
14 March 2014 07:13
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from GemH
So there IS a way of previewing the text of a message without opening it? But it marks the message read? But, at present, there is no way of reading it without it being marked as read? Is the preview thing only for platinum? Is that right? (I'm a bit slow today hence the dumbing down to clarify.)

If you look to the left of the sender's photo in your inbox there should be an icon with a little piece of paper and a magnifying glass.  That gives you a preview BUT also marks it as read (so IMO you may as well open it properly), or at least it used to (which is why I never used it).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

HowardJ is off-line
14 March 2014 08:05
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from GemH
I just wondered if any/some/all accounts have the function of being able to view the text of a PM within the email notification, which means you don't have to login to PS to read the email (though you obviously would to reply!)

Not that it's a big deal, I'm just being nosey!

Fanks peeps x

I think the idea is to keep you engaged with the site by making you login to view your emails. That way you get people coming on to the site more.

14 March 2014 08:22
GemH
Model

Quote from HowardJ

I think the idea is to keep you engaged with the site by making you login to view your emails. That way you get people coming on to the site more.

Whilst a very valid point, this answer is irrelevant as it doesn't answer my question... I never stated it was a good idea, or that I wanted to use it (although it is helpful when my email loads fast on 3G but PS doesn't...) .....I just asked if it was something the site offered. Curious for various reasons, none really that important.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As RedChecker has stated he pays the ultimate price () for using the site, I think it's safe to say this feature is non existant here......... Thanks peeps.

HowardJ is off-line
14 March 2014 10:07
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from GemH

Whilst a very valid point, this answer is irrelevant as it doesn't answer my question... I never stated it was a good idea, or that I wanted to use it (although it is helpful when my email loads fast on 3G but PS doesn't...) .....I just asked if it was something the site offered. Curious for various reasons, none really that important.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As RedChecker has stated he pays the ultimate price () for using the site, I think it's safe to say this feature is non existant here......... Thanks peeps.

Well it kinda does answer the question in that it explains why implementing such a feature would probably not be a good idea from the perspective of the owners of the site as it may result in less traffic to the site and thus potentially make PS a less valuable asset.

raw and the cooked is off-line
16 March 2014 06:54
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

they do it elsewhere though….

Neil Anderson is off-line
16 March 2014 07:20
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from HowardJ

Well it kinda does answer the question in that it explains why implementing such a feature would probably not be a good idea from the perspective of the owners of the site as it may result in less traffic to the site and thus potentially make PS a less valuable asset.

Surely it is a useful feature that one can tell whether a message has been read.
Clearly this wouldn't work if you could access the message contents without reading it on the site.
Your suggestion that this restriction is a cynical attempt to increase traffic seems either ill intentioned or ill thought out.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

HowardJ is off-line
16 March 2014 07:44
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from stolenfaces
Surely it is a useful feature that one can tell whether a message has been read.
Clearly this wouldn't work if you could access the message contents without reading it on the site.
Your suggestion that this restriction is a cynical attempt to increase traffic seems either ill intentioned or ill thought out.

I agree it would be a useful feature but there may be many reasons for it not being implemented including the site owners wanting to encourage you to remain engaged with the site (sticky to it - it's a pretty standard thing for companies to do. you provide more features on the website to encourage people to visit it) or privacy reasons as people may be providing information in PMs that they would rather not make it to their email provider's servers or an email account they may share with partners etc or an email account which could get hacked thus exposing information to unauthorised people.

I seem to remember seeing an enhancement request for this feature a couple of years ago but I guess it wasn't taken up.

13 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Coldasice80 mandymack xxalixx
chandos extra_mayo frankpht Jamesfitzpatrick JohnDentonPhoto LGI modelimages4u NatashaCalamita Pegasuspics rscott360