This thread is being watched by 2 people
Razoir is off-line
14 March 2014 15:36
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

The harsh facts of life are that in clothing modelling, the clothes are made before the model is booked. If the model does not fit the clothes: the model does not get the job. No arguments. No appeal. Just no job.

If you want to go into other commercial modelling then the way to get an agency signing is to put together a very small, very simple portfolio AND BASH THE PAVEMENTS WITH YOUR SHOE LEATHER. Again and again and again.........

You are the very best You there will ever be. Do NOT try to be the next Kate Moss, Jean Shrimpton, Twiggy, Nellie the Elephant. They got there first and they are always going to be better at it. They will never be as good at being You as You are. Exploit that.

Apply for castings. Lots of castings but BE SENSIBLE. If the job is for a skinny, six-foot blond you are not going to get it. Just as, you are not going to get it if they need a baby, a bloke, a sumo wrestler or a carrot.

In cold-calling selling about 10% of callsget a sale. In modelling the odds are worse. You HAVE to do the 95% failed calls to get the 5% good results.

For the vast majority of models, it is not earning a huge hourly rate or being the Face of Lancome, or whatever. It is about working hard. Damn hard, day after day after day.

If you are put off by any of this, you ain't got the bottle. If you are NOT put off by this then you ain't got the intelligence. If you read and understand all of that and still want to give it a damn hard go and are prepared to take on a long hard fight, then you just might have both and just might make it. If you DO make it, then you deserve all the success you get and then some.

Good luck.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

RKD Photographic is off-line
27 March 2014 00:24
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
Germany
Iserlohn

Quote from JeromeRazoir
The harsh facts of life are that in clothing modelling, the clothes are made before the model is booked. If the model does not fit the clothes: the model does not get the job. No arguments. No appeal. Just no job.

If you want to go into other commercial modelling then the way to get an agency signing is to put together a very small, very simple portfolio AND BASH THE PAVEMENTS WITH YOUR SHOE LEATHER. Again and again and again.........

You are the very best You there will ever be. Do NOT try to be the next Kate Moss, Jean Shrimpton, Twiggy, Nellie the Elephant. They got there first and they are always going to be better at it. They will never be as good at being You as You are. Exploit that.

Apply for castings. Lots of castings but BE SENSIBLE. If the job is for a skinny, six-foot blond you are not going to get it. Just as, you are not going to get it if they need a baby, a bloke, a sumo wrestler or a carrot.

In cold-calling selling about 10% of callsget a sale. In modelling the odds are worse. You HAVE to do the 95% failed calls to get the 5% good results.

For the vast majority of models, it is not earning a huge hourly rate or being the Face of Lancome, or whatever. It is about working hard. Damn hard, day after day after day.

If you are put off by any of this, you ain't got the bottle. If you are NOT put off by this then you ain't got the intelligence. If you read and understand all of that and still want to give it a damn hard go and are prepared to take on a long hard fight, then you just might have both and just might make it. If you DO make it, then you deserve all the success you get and then some.

Good luck.

Yep. Pretty much this.
At your levels, you're not going to make a killing as an internet model considering the competition you're up against... do a search for models in your area. THAT's your competition.
"When I hold a camera, I know no fear..." - Alfred Eisenstadt

ken george is off-line
28 March 2014 11:36
kgp
Photographer
kgp
Clwyd
N.Wales & Merseyside

Quote from jessicard
Perhaps google some agencies and send off some pictures? I only ever applied to one agency and they tore me to shreds but that was a glamour one years & years ago and I've done alright for my self since however I definitely don't do catalogue modelling so don't have much advice there sorry. Agencies are definitely your best bet tho :-)

I have been in this biz for over 40 years and this is sound advice, look for an agency who supplies models to the advertising industry, you won't have problems of size check out Alba Models, it's full of information and used by professinal models. good luck 

KHV is off-line
28 March 2014 11:54
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

http://www.albamodel.info/

Jesfish is off-line
28 March 2014 14:48
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Just goes to show that the majority of people who replied didn't even read the title!  The OP asked about commercial modelling, not fashion, not catalogue!  I've done quite a bit of commercial work and they need people of varying ages and sizes.  I get most of my commercial work through a casting agency in my region, and have also done ok through sites such as this one.

Cody is off-lineSilver Member
29 March 2014 17:08
Cody
Model
Cody
Oxfordshire
bicester

It's all about building up your commercial portfolio, then approach some agencies

16 April 2014 02:26
pearhere
Photographer

You need to create a portfolio. Entice a photographer to shoot you for free or telling him he can use your images in exchange for a free shoot. Tell him you want one image that shows the profile of one leg and the heel of the other. You want another that puts emphasis on the face, another showing elegant hand positioning, etc. Mkae sure the images are a lot different from each other. If there are two that are alike and you feel they are the best ones - have one be the opening shot and the other the closing shot. Otherwise do not use any two that are alike.

7 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
NicolaWilks90
csk_photography FirstLifePhotography George99 photofrank Pictureimage redtail