Helmut Newton on BBC4 later...

This thread is being watched by 2 people
Anthonygh is off-line
13 March 2014 13:04
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

;"> http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/ctjbsz/helmut-by-june

;"> This guy was cutting edge back in the day so probably well worth watching.

Anthonygh is off-line
13 March 2014 13:06
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Cutting and pasting didn't seem to work here.....

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
13 March 2014 14:03
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

the link works tho. he's not that long gone!!!

OldMaster is off-line
13 March 2014 14:11
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Thanks for the heads up.

In some ways he set a different standard, ravaged by feminists but actually celebrated the female in a lot of his work. One of the first "mainstream" fetish photographers.

He seemed to have the knack of getting female celebrities to take their clothes off..because they wanted to for him. Worked substantially in New York hotel rooms, replacing the bulbs with photofloods and shooting B&W on his Rolleiflex TLR..(another fan along with Bailey)

In fact Rollei created a Helmut Newton Rolleiflex 2.8f edition in his honour. Costs a bob or two now if you find one!

My only claim to fame is that I used the urinal next to him at the Barbican Centre for one of his exhibitions..back in the 90's I guess

Anthonygh is off-line
13 March 2014 16:45
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from OldMaster

My only claim to fame is that I used the urinal next to him at the Barbican Centre for one of his exhibitions..back in the 90's I guess

Dine out on that one.....I would....surprise

...I did know...vaguely...Bob Carlos Clarke....same college stuff......

PSN is off-line
13 March 2014 16:59
psn
Photographer

South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Thanks for the prompt Anthony, set to record, appreciate you wanting to share the opportunity to see this.

OldMaster is off-line
16 March 2014 05:07
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Still time to watch this on catch up! A must watch really!

We can all learn from his style....keep the technical as simple as possible and focus on the picture itself. Its a working style I have always tried to emulate where possible....forget fancy lighting, posing your model like they are a Victorian garden sculpture and please stop sticking little coloured things to faces!!! Easy with digital to snap away but a lot of his success comes from imagining a narrative and then illustrating it in as simple a way as possible and knowing when he has his picture.

Go on...change or modify the way you work....go to Bailey and watch Newton

Anthonygh is off-line
17 March 2014 05:41
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

There is another photographer worth watching on iplayer....Albert Watson. I found him by accident in the 'what do artists do all day' series. He has some seriously expensive gear....unlike the stuff Bailey and Newton seem to get by with....

OldMaster is off-line
17 March 2014 06:30
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Unlike the stuff Bailey....etc. They both used the pinnacle of optical and mechanical engineering!! Hasselblad V series and the peerless Rolleiflex 2.8f, probably the sharpest lenses ever made...the Zeiss Planar or optics by Schneider, renowned for their large format lenses!

Possibly why Newton had some of his prints wall size!

Film at these format sizes and optically printed can show most digital formats a clean pair of heals! Just have to see the print quality at the Bailey exhibition. I was privileged enough to own both these cameras, as well as Linhof and can vouch for their exceptional quality. Apart from anything else with 12...or even 8 frames to a roll of film you really had to think about every picture!

A Rollei 2.8f in excellent condition, and still some 50 years old will still fetch in excess of £1000!

Neil Anderson is off-line
17 March 2014 07:06
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from OldMaster
Unlike the stuff Bailey....etc. They both used the pinnacle of optical and mechanical engineering!! Hasselblad V series and the peerless Rolleiflex 2.8f, probably the sharpest lenses ever made...the Zeiss Planar or optics by Schneider, renowned for their large format lenses!

Possibly why Newton had some of his prints wall size!

Film at these format sizes and optically printed can show most digital formats a clean pair of heals! Just have to see the print quality at the Bailey exhibition. I was privileged enough to own both these cameras, as well as Linhof and can vouch for their exceptional quality. Apart from anything else with 12...or even 8 frames to a roll of film you really had to think about every picture!

A Rollei 2.8f in excellent condition, and still some 50 years old will still fetch in excess of £1000!

They both used a wide range of cameras - if you go to the Helmut Newton Gallery/Museum in Berlin you can see many of the ones he used over the years (and the film by June is also shown on permanent loop).
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

6 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Asian_amy_Latina
Cheshunt83 Dave@studio99 jyp nicholas_ainsley Vinceb