This thread is being watched by 2 people
Andy is off-line
12 March 2014 18:55
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

So, while i know there will be a wide range of prices for such things, what would be kinda average prices for a full day conference shoot (approx 200 + people, guests etc ) and a full day shoot, with slideshow of the day to finish. you know the type of thing, smiley expressions everywhere, all enjoying the days event 

Reason i ask is i have just completed 5 shoots over 8 days up and down the country for my employer (major company) this was during work hours but totally removed from my day job,
i appear to do a good job as it's the second year running and i now also get requests from the guest speakers to supply shots for promotional purposes for them as well, (so free promo shots) I used to do just the one venue, now it's expanded to five, anyway i have decided that unless i get paid commercial photography rates outwith my normal role next year then i will not be doing it, so whats a rough daily. hourly rate ?
They do have a budget for this as i covered 5 regional conferences between Scotland and southward to Hull, but the other areas of the country have always hired in photographers.( I dont have access to what the others were paid)
If they say no then at least it will be an opportunity for another photographer to earn from it.
lets get shootin

Matthew G is off-line
12 March 2014 18:59
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

£400 to £550 a day (around £50 per hour plus 50p mile travel)

Mr D is off-line
13 March 2014 03:19
Darkstudent
Photographer
Darkstudent
Lancashire
Manchester

50p per mile is a bit high, tends to go towards 28-35p / mile.

Shawn Barker is off-line
13 March 2014 05:31
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMedia
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

1) I would review your current terms and conditions of employment before invoicing, it will just put you on a stronger foothold.

2) they are not going to pay you commercial rates, which is why they are using you and not outsourcing - it's cheaper.

3) current HMRC guidelines for travel are 45p/mile if using your own car (not a company vehicle). You may want to check you T&C about being expected to travel within your line of work, although you could counter this with the fact that you may not be covered by your vehicle insurance.

4) If you know the dates required, it may be worth booking holidays now so that you are not on company time to make any negotiation easier.

Other than that you can make a figure up - it's open competition, although you do have a slight advantage as preferred photographer.

Brian Jones is off-line
21 March 2014 10:59
kimphot
Photographer
kimphot
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Why should you get commercial rates? You're not a professional. You're being paid your normal wage/salary. You're travel is being paid, your accommodation is being paid. Want commercial rates, chuck your job in (well paid is it?) and turn pro .............. then wish you hadn't because someone else will be doing to you (doing jobs on the cheap)what you are doing to current professionals. If I were you I'd suck it up and shut up! You're better off as you are.

Laurence Power is off-line
21 March 2014 13:45
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

Quote from kimphot
Why should you get commercial rates? You're not a professional. You're being paid your normal wage/salary. You're travel is being paid, your accommodation is being paid. Want commercial rates, chuck your job in (well paid is it?) and turn pro .............. then wish you hadn't because someone else will be doing to you (doing jobs on the cheap)what you are doing to current professionals. If I were you I'd suck it up and shut up! You're better off as you are.

Instead of complaining, why not encourage the guy to charge commerical rates, if he does then he comes up against you in terms of the quality of his work, if they still want him well the YOU need to up your game. I would add another couple of items, you comment about accomodation, sorry but I did not read about that being paid, and why give up the day job, why not have two, again if he has two but does not use one to subsidise the other, I see no problem.

Laurence J. Power

Brian Jones is off-line
21 March 2014 16:04
kimphot
Photographer
kimphot
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

If he's running around the country on his own wallet for the benefit of his company then he is a plonker!

I wasn't aware I was complaining, I asked a question, made an observation and offered advice.

You're saying he should get paid twice by his employer!

Neil Anderson is off-line
21 March 2014 16:14
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from kimphot
If he's running around the country on his own wallet for the benefit of his company then he is a plonker!

I wasn't aware I was complaining, I asked a question, made an observation and offered advice.

You're saying he should get paid twice by his employer!

Well you didn't answer his question (which had already been answered anyway), so it's difficult to see your comments in any other light than a moaning complaint that your livelihood is being ruined by people asking to be paid a commercial rate for photography (but then suggesting that he would be under-cutting you if he charged a commercial rate).
You don't seem to understand how markets work - what people in this forum think should happen is totally irrelevant to the arrangements which a photographer and client may agree, or indeed what one party may bid or offer but the other refuse.

[and where does he say that he's not getting his travel paid ?]
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Andy is off-line
21 March 2014 16:23
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

Quote from kimphot

And why mot ? whats it to do with you how many sources of income i have or want ? If you started working in my area of paid employment i would'nt really give a toss as i know i am damn good at what i do and you would not cause me a second thought, 

Once again we have a pro (same for most trades who thought 30 years ago no one could do their jobs) ) moaning presumably as he is being impacted by non pro's i'd guess
, i say to that, get a grip, step up, improve, retire or retrain if your worried about us amatuers impacting you !  if you were so amazing then us amatuers should be of no concern to you ? I'm guessing from your response here that your not going to be winning any professional awards for your work anytime soon.

As for me sucking it up...........i'm not the one moaning, i actually had a great time, despite it being a hard shift, was recognised for the commitment i made, and saw the impact of the slideshow at the end of each day on the faces of those who attended. Made me want to do more of it, and maybe offset some of the thousands i have spent on equipment for my hobby. (paid for from that well paid job i have cheeky)
lets get shootin

Brian Jones is off-line
21 March 2014 16:51
kimphot
Photographer
kimphot
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Well if you don't want to do the job, tell me your company's name and I'll put in a quote. If you quote on a commercial basis you definitely won't undercut any quote I put forward. Just for discussion sake, what would you charge to travel from Fife to South Yorkshire and back, do a days shoot, time for post processing, presenting the images to the client, as an independant operator you'll need public liability insurance, minimum £2 million cover. You'll need to change your car insurance cover. You'll need to include meals, maybe suppled during the day but there's breakfast and evening meal. Are doing this job in one day or do you need two nights accommodation? Give a ball park figure that you think is a commercial rate for the job.

19 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Caela07 chandni23 jo80 JodieW sammimical
63jian antoinewynn david1500 Djanimation duncanjames ellessephotography euroglamour Kiboko kildemo mareeoosh Platidonio talldave68
photo39 ThePhotographyStudios