Reminder Secure

Paying Models NOT in cash?

David Hunt is off-line
09 March 2014 16:44
dhuntuk
Photographer

Surrey
Camberley

Ninety-five percent of the time I have always paid with cash.

I have now paid models via bank transfer on over half a dozen occasions. You just get the model's bank details and set them up as a payee. Come shoot day and you can get your Windows phone app & pay them there and then in front of them.

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
09 March 2014 17:42
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

I have only ever paid cash.
However I would be happy to pay by cheque or bacs if the model prefers?
Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

Joceline AKA Ariel Anderssen is off-line
10 March 2014 04:29
Joceline
Model
Joceline
Shropshire
Shrewsbury

Yep, happy to be paid by cash, bank transfer, cheque, whatever. BACS feels lovely and modern and it means I don't have to make a trip to the bank, but being paid to do something you love is nice, so I'm not fussy about how it's done

Chris Middleton is off-line
10 March 2014 09:50
chrismid
Photographer
chrismid
Essex
Chelmsford

If you pay someone cash and they are not registered as self employed you could in fact be prosecuted.

Your paying someone for a service which would be part of their income.

Neil Anderson is off-line
10 March 2014 10:00
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from chrismid
If you pay someone cash and they are not registered as self employed you could in fact be prosecuted.

Your paying someone for a service which would be part of their income.

How would you know?
Paying someone in cash who is registered as self-employed is alright then, even if you know they won't declare it?
It's a ridiculous statement.
Why would a model who is or isn't registered as self-employed be prepared to accept a cheque from you when most shops won't.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Peter Blanchflower is off-line
10 March 2014 10:19
blancho
Photographer
blancho
West Midlands
Solihull

a model might accept a cheque as they know who you are where you live, your reputation and references, however its never a 100% guarentee which is why i think bacs or paypal is fairest,

love the way this has turned in to a tax debate,

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
10 March 2014 10:21
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from stolenfaces
How would you know? Paying someone in cash who is registered as self-employed is alright then, even if you know they won't declare it? It's a ridiculous statement. Why would a model who is or isn't registered as self-employed be prepared to accept a cheque from you when most shops won't.

There may be some truth to what he's saying.

Years ago I had to register as a Ltd company to do freelance CAD work as my employer was previously stung for a tax bill for the two or three freelance people he had working for him previously (who disappeared off the face of the Earth) when he was audited.  Apparently working as a LTD company passed any blame onto my company and off of his (I'm no expert though).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Neil Anderson is off-line
10 March 2014 10:32
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from RedChecker
There may be some truth to what he's saying.

Years ago I had to register as a Ltd company to do freelance CAD work as my employer was previously stung for a tax bill for the two or three freelance people he had working for him previously (who disappeared off the face of the Earth) when he was audited.  Apparently working as a LTD company passed any blame onto my company and off of his (I'm no expert though).

If you are a company 'employing' someone that may be true, but in the context of the typical user of this site it is not true.
I think any legal obligations he may be referring to were introduced to counter 'the lump' where building contactors employed tradesmen and treated them as self-employed to avoid paying PAYE.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Peter Hague is off-line
10 March 2014 10:50
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

I've mentioned numerous times a collegue who got stung for £15,000 for paying in cash and not establishing a paper trail. The taxmans arguement was that he could have claimed to have paid a model £250, but paid her only a part or none of it, pocketing the rest, efectively paying himself tax-free.

In the end his options were settle for £15,000 or go to trial. Thats why I pay by cheque and make sure there's a record of the payment.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Shackled Maidens is off-line
10 March 2014 10:52
ShackledMaidens
Photographer
ShackledMaidens
Hampshire
Basingstoke

Quote from a model who I just picked up from the station a few years ago "Is it ok if you pay me in cash as im claiming benefits"

And if you think your safe, one of the togs that used to rent my studio is a top guy at HMRC

He last logged in here less than a week ago, go offer him a "special rate" for cash

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
casell gordon rscott360