Reminder Secure

Paying Models NOT in cash?

08 March 2014 13:45
davidb
Photographer

I often shoot with a model who doesn't like carrying cash so I always pay by BACS before the shoot, I've never had any problems and if it makes her feel safer traveling home I'm only to happy to do it for her.

08 March 2014 18:45
JadedRed
Model

You can offer to pay however you want, you should just make it clear before the shoot, then the model can choose whether or not to accept.

Chris Dee is off-line
08 March 2014 19:25
ChrisD
Photographer
ChrisD
Hampshire

Quote from ossies
I always pay the Model in cash and as I have already paid full tax on my earnings why should the Model pay Tax on it again unless the tax man is also posing with the model for the shoot ..

This should answer your question as to " WHY "  https://www.gov.uk/sortmytax

Melissa Tongue is off-lineSilver Member
08 March 2014 19:27
xxmrmthxx
Model
xxmrmthxx
Oxfordshire
Henley-on-thames

I am happy with cash, BACS and paypal. The problem with cheques is I shoot most days and if not shooting I'm travelling so it can take me weeks to get to a bank when its open

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
09 March 2014 02:18
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from ossies
I always pay the Model in cash and as I have already paid full tax on my earnings why should the Model pay Tax on it again unless the tax man is also posing with the model for the shoot ..

Oh dear!
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Chrissie Red is off-line
09 March 2014 05:31
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I don't mind how I get paid as long as its in full.
I remember working with one fairly well respected photographer and he gave me a small fraction of my payment in a cheque and another small fraction in cash. (which made up something like 35% of the total shoot fee we had discussed). I told him there an then that it wasn't anywhere near what we had discussed and he said "I will bank transfer you when I get home".. I think about 4 months later he sent me another small amount of money that way. Perhaps if I chased him for another year he might have done the full whammy and paid me via paypal to - maybe that way I might have actually got paid in full!

Shackled Maidens is off-line
09 March 2014 07:52
ShackledMaidens
Photographer
ShackledMaidens
Hampshire
Basingstoke

These days i just do cash as its easier, but all the models who I work with knows that its my dog that pays them not me

Peter Blanchflower is off-line
09 March 2014 11:07
blancho
Photographer
blancho
West Midlands
Solihull

I think i would be suspicious if someones paying you in three forms for the same shoot

Who is this dog and have you questioned him/her to where they get the cash and if they pay tax? Can I borrow them I could do with an assistant

Chrissie Red is off-line
09 March 2014 11:14
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from blancho
I think i would be suspicious if someones paying you in three forms for the same shoot Who is this dog and have you questioned him/her to where they get the cash and if they pay tax? Can I borrow them I could do with an assistant

I think he passed me a cheque and said "heres your payment" and then some cash and said "and heres a little extra" (the overall total of the cheque and cash was around £200 short of the fee he had agreed with me and the MUA). In the end though I did manage to pay my makeup artist what I had promised her and I paid my partner for the petrol he used up by getting me to the shoot so at least other than an entire day I didn't waste any money. 

It served as a very strong reminder to always get everything in writing and never discuss the fee's over the phone - doesn't matter if the person said the fee 3 times during the call and you asked them to repeat the fee, they can quite easily tell you on the day that you are wrong and they are right.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
09 March 2014 11:30
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Chrissie_Red
I think he passed me a cheque and said "heres your payment" and then some cash and said "and heres a little extra" (the overall total of the cheque and cash was around £200 short of the fee he had agreed with me and the MUA). In the end though I did manage to pay my makeup artist what I had promised her and I paid my partner for the petrol he used up by getting me to the shoot so at least other than an entire day I didn't waste any money. 

It served as a very strong reminder to always get everything in writing and never discuss the fee's over the phone - doesn't matter if the person said the fee 3 times during the call and you asked them to repeat the fee, they can quite easily tell you on the day that you are wrong and they are right.

I hope you left appropriate feedback.

In a sense it makes it worse when a well-respected photographer does this as they are abusing their position in more ways than one to con models be it paid work or TF?.  It seems to happen a lot and it's disgusting.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Cressy2017 Michelledefeo1 Yenguo
cliffc Dandelion djb1 Essexjohn funky GlasgowPhotographer JohnDentonPhoto keltica lester2705 MIB mkitos mlp oro ownimage penfoldpc peteb PhilStorm powerbook92 read redbaron severndigital Steveh32 Thunder_Photos Willjamieson