not reading the casting ?

Mr D is off-line
07 March 2014 05:13
Darkstudent
Photographer
Darkstudent
Lancashire
Manchester

Out of general interest, how many of you put out a castings, lay out what is on offer, what is expected and the fee on offer.

Then one of two things happen.

A) You message models directly with casting link, asking them to take a look and get back if they are interested.

Out of this method, a number of replies come back with yes, I am interested. Well thats nice to know, when are you available would be a good start.
You then proceed to set up a date and time and ask if they can confirm they are happy with the casting. 

This is were you then get, what does the casting involve, and my rates are blah blah.
In other words, not read the casting at all.

B) You get messages from direct replies of the casting.

Out of this method of messages, model then states is happy with the casting, will do it for x amount more money and is not even suitable for the casting in the first place.

The above seems to be getting fairly common for me, anyone else ?

David Heels is off-line
07 March 2014 06:16
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

If you go with method A, and email models directly, then why bother putting up a casting at all? It surely just means disappointed models and loads of apologetic emails to those who are not suitable.

It seems a bizarre and pointless way to work, to me.

Dave

OldMaster is off-line
07 March 2014 06:23
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Yes, go right through the process, send them a link to a video clip to show them the style of work and then...hear nothing.

There is one model, on-line, most of the time who seems to apply for everything then having agreed everything decides it's not for her and fails to have the courtesy to let you know!!!

The other one I have had recently, brand new, wants to pose with her sister (fashion..none of that naughty business!),asked for help (from her profile) and was looking for a free tog! Because I am was local I offered my services, my e-mail read same day, no reply. Complete lack of courtesy in my view but then "I am very old fashioned". But if someone has offered their time for free and to help out at least a "no, but thanks" should be a minimum response.

But like I have said before, that's the Home Counties for you (arrogant and rude comes to mind!)..she probably expects to be on the cover of Vogue before too long!!

But if anyone ever asks what "being professional" means, its none of the above. All the models I have ended up working with have been fantastic both in comms and great on the shoot. Sadly its a minority but that's the market. Its always a bit more of a risk with a new member and its not always about TF or paid. Just sometimes you strike lucky and find a real gem!!

07 March 2014 07:32
Jackass
Photographer

I very rarely respond to casting calls as I've found it to be a waste of time, and I no longer post them for the same reason.
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it could be my ex wife.

Mr D is off-line
07 March 2014 08:01
Darkstudent
Photographer
Darkstudent
Lancashire
Manchester

Quote from Crippen
If you go with method A, and email models directly, then why bother putting up a casting at all? It surely just means disappointed models and loads of apologetic emails to those who are not suitable. It seems a bizarre and pointless way to work, to me. Dave

some models do not log on often and may not have seen the casting, so there is noting wrong with a polite here is my casting please see if your interested. its models saying they are then interested and not even checking out the casting which im talking about above.

Neil Anderson is off-line
07 March 2014 08:47
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from Darkstudent
some models do not log on often and may not have seen the casting, so there is noting wrong with a polite here is my casting please see if your interested. its models saying they are then interested and not even checking out the casting which im talking about above.

If you've found it doesn't work - maybe there is something wrong with it.
If you want to work with them, send them an offer. If you can't even be bothered to cut and paste the casting details, why would you expect the recipient to take you seriously.
If people are interested enough to look at castings (which doesn't require logging in) then they probably aren't really interested in reading your casting, or competing for the work.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

07 March 2014 09:17
JadedRed
Model

Yes, photographers do this all the time. Sometimes they get abusive and rude.

07 March 2014 11:32
PaulManuell
Photographer

What I get from casting calls I place, more than anything else, is totally suitable models but from totally unsuitable parts of the country. Despite putting Cornwall and Devon on my CC, I've had people from as far afield as Liverpool and Leeds telling me they'd like to work with me. I always reply to them though, pointing out they'd be ideal but they're too far away, and that I did say only Cornwall or Devon in my CC.

Paul Jones is off-line
07 March 2014 11:51
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from Darkstudent

Out of general interest, how many of you put out a castings, lay out what is on offer, what is expected and the fee on offer.

Then one of two things happen.

A) You message models directly with casting link, asking them to take a look and get back if they are interested.

This is were you then get, what does the casting involve, and my rates are blah blah.
In other words, not read the casting at all.

B) You get messages from direct replies of the casting.

Out of this method of messages, model then ...is not even suitable for the casting in the first place.

The above seems to be getting fairly common for me, anyone else ?

I think that you're inevitably going to get a few replies from people who you regard as unsuitable.

I've just read your latest casting.  It actually left me asking 'what exactly does it involve'?
Am I right that you're basically looking for a 2 hour Continental shoot for £70?

Or did I read this wrong:  "£70 extra rate - The above including use of dildos & hand masturbation."
If I did misunderstand, then the casting wasn't clear to me, and maybe the models you're trying to work with.

I have booked some shoots as a result of castings.  But most shoots come from messaging a model direct and being direct with what I'm offering.
Eg:

-  Half-day shoot (4 hours) / Full day shoot (upto 8 hours)
-  Upto this level (to involve x, y, z)
-  For this fee £

Keep it simple.

Best regards
Paul
www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

Neil Anderson is off-line
07 March 2014 12:35
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

If you sent a link to that casting to non-adult models, one might think it was an 'clever' attempt to propose adult levels to non-adult models.
Does that explain why you sent a link rather than actually laid out your proposals in your direct message.

Some people (who worry about these things) might even question whether that casting should be marked as adult.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
poah talldave68 Willjamieson