Lighting in a car park

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Sam H is off-line
07 March 2014 01:53
samh1957
Photographer
samh1957
Wiltshire

Hi folks ive got an upcoming model shoot in a car park and would like some lighting ideas please. The model, a blond, will be wearing just a black fish net body stocking which we will eventually rip. I want minimal gear with me so can move around a lot this means i'll just have one hand held off camera speed light. I'm thinking grungy stair wells, lift doors etc .

Any ideas?

Thanks

HowardJ is off-line
07 March 2014 02:07
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Manfrotto nano with speedlight adapter and double fold brollies.

Or

Ringflash with portable battery pack. Not the most discreet piece of kit to carry around though.

You'll need an assistant or two at hand.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
07 March 2014 02:14
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from HowardJ
You'll need an assistant or two at hand.

Why?
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Ron Williams is off-lineSilver Member
07 March 2014 02:53
RonA
Photographer
RonA
Kent
Bexley

Quote from samh1957
Hi folks ive got an upcoming model shoot in a car park and would like some lighting ideas please. The model, a blond, will be wearing just a black fish net body stocking which we will eventually rip. I want minimal gear with me so can move around a lot this means i'll just have one hand held off camera speed light. I'm thinking grungy stair wells, lift doors etc . Any ideas? Thanks

Seee my response to your question on the other site 

Profile Pictures is off-line
07 March 2014 03:35
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I'd just use a fast lens and maybe up to iso 1600, the only pain is white balance sometimes but shoot raw to give yourself some room in that respect.

Paul Riddell is off-line
07 March 2014 04:07
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

If you want minimal gear then anything you do is going to be a compromise. Going with a very wide apature and high ISO being just two of them, but also you find you probably can't sucessful light properly and evenly and no matter what you do it could well end up looking like a snapshot.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

David Heels is off-line
07 March 2014 06:38
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Start a rumour that it's a well known dogging car park, then wait for dozens of men with torches to turn up.

HowardJ is off-line
07 March 2014 12:25
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from RedChecker
Why?

So some bar steward doesn't mess with his kit.

HowardJ is off-line
07 March 2014 12:47
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from Crippen
Start a rumour that it's a well known dogging car park, then wait for dozens of men with torches to turn up.

Lol.

Ian Wilson is off-line
08 March 2014 03:38
Ian_Wilson
Photographer
Ian_Wilson
Greater Manchester
St Helens

I have shot in car parks a few times and used the natural light from the open sides

or gone up on up on the top floor
so mainly used used the ambient light or supplemented it with flash, but it sounds like you want to be in enclosed areas and will therefore have to put all the light in yourself.

I would suggest if you have a lighting stand you could use that with a brolly attached. If you don't want to carry the light stand then take the top adapter bit off and put your flash on with a shoot through brolly and hand-hold that.

Maybe best to go for grungy grainy black and white with high iso and wide aperture.

You could also try using the headlights of your car - either on their own or as backlighting against your foreground flash.

Will you post some of the results in here after shoot?

I am good at dispensing sound advice...but it's 99% sound and 1% advice

0 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators