any £14.99 nude models about ?

Howard Mansfield is off-line
05 March 2014 18:46
HMansfield
Photographer
HMansfield
Nottinghamshire

Quote from tripod
It's appalling when you consider Wayne Rooney just got paid £300,000 for an hour's work, and once again he was absolute S---e!

Don't blame Wayne, blame the person that paid him. I'd work for £300,000 an hour if I could.

Quoteany £14.99 nude models about ?

Depends on who's supplying the Jaffa Cakes.
Everyone knows photographers make up the hottest proportions of Britains single men. - Kater

David Hibberd is off-line
05 March 2014 19:16
davidhibberd
Photographer
davidhibberd
Highland

Quote from Darkstudent
any £14.99 nude models about ?

Yes indeed.  It's all down to personal choice.  There are plenty of folk prepared to pose nude as a creative exercise 

Here for a short time for a good time

nigel kent is off-line
05 March 2014 19:49
sirspread
Photographer
sirspread
Avon
bath

Most of the experienced well know models charge £25 per hour plus so i guess alot of inexperienced newbie models cant compete, so are happy to demand only £15 per hour.
I know which ones i would rather shoot with
At the end of the day its all down to supply and demand.

Profile Pictures is off-line
06 March 2014 00:15
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

It's appalling that many people work for basic wage and can't bring up a family on it, it's appalling that we spend tax monies on hanging baskets and fireworks in our towns and cities whilst pension age folk starve or freeze to death in their homes, it's appalling that models get treated badly by some photographers. Lots of things are appalling but being nude isn't really appalling at all in terms of modelling, and £15 an hour after tax would be about the average wage wouldn't it? You're not appalled, you're just grumpy and misguided.

TarMoo is off-line
06 March 2014 02:00
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Kent
Chatham

I was offered £20/hr or £65 for 4 hours for a shoot up to nude at a model's home recently. It looked like an attractive rate. If a model charged £30/hr, but had to travel 1 hour each way to a two hour shoot, they would get less money for the same duration. The most common rate for art nude is around £25/hr, but glamour models usually have higher rates.
Q: How to make a small fortune from photography? A: Start with a large fortune.

Brian Selway is off-line
06 March 2014 04:37
BrianSelway
Photographer

Leicestershire
Leicester

I earn way, way less than £15 an hour, working as a health care assistant in a hospice. For that I get to wipe bums, hold vomit bowls, help people eat, clean their teeth, hold their heands while they die. I can't think of any job that is more rewarding, but yeah, let's be appalled that some models choose...at their own discretion...to take their clothes off of what's aparently a pittance. Especially after all those long years of studying to get their modelling degree.
FFS, if the OP doesn't like what others are charging, she's welcome to price herself out of that market, but surely there are far better things to actually care about than what someone else charges to model. And clothed or nude, it's still modelling, isn't it?

Andrew Gibbins is off-line
06 March 2014 04:43
andrew_gibbins
Photographer
andrew_gibbins
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Even if a model is working for £15 / hour doesnt mean she will do a worse job than the ones who do it for £100 an hour. Its all down to persepctive. I shot lots of models for whatever price they throw at me, and most of the time, they are trying to keep to reality and demand a reasonable price. Can't say that diminished my results in any way.

The fact that the OP is appalled by someone downright underbidding her as a model just tells me she has issues with her own performance, and that she thinks that someone who takes less payment can do a better job.

As someone said, its supply and demand. Picture prices has gone down a lot, and so has the price on models. Cause and effect. We are no longer in the early 2000 where magazines and publishers had to pay thousands to get their spreads in the magazines. Also, I wouldnt pay a model £200 for a day of shooting nudes when I knew its just for the fun of it. I don't have that kind of money at all.

There is always many sides to a story. Oh, and for that matter, finding models to shoot nudes TFP seems to not be an issue these days either for some reason, but I never do shoot TFP nudes. I always believed the models should be paid something, so I always end up paying anyway.

But as someone so nicely said, there are plenty of people working HARD in this country for less than £15 / hour. Why cant a model?

Just my 2 cents

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
06 March 2014 04:52
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I see a few people are referring to the fact that people work on less than £15 an hour. Are those salary based wages by any chance?

Freelance work has always been and always will be much more expensive than salary based work simply because you have to deal with all your own tax & admin (we won't go into cash-in hand work) and there's no guarantee of work on a day-to-day basis so the seemingly inflated rates reflect that.

Ultimately there's nothing you can do with undercutting (regardless of what occupation you're in) other than to market yourself well and convince people you're worth the money you're charging.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Chrissie Red is off-line
06 March 2014 05:06
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from andrew_gibbins
But as someone so nicely said, there are plenty of people working HARD in this country for less than £15 / hour. Why cant a model? Just my 2 cents

Because generally people working on minimum wage are being paid a wage -  The benefits I can see for working a "normal" job are as follow -

You know when you are working, it will be a set amount of hours a week - you will probably live fairly close to your work so wont have to spend 1-2-3-4 hours travelling to work in a day. If you have to wear a uniform you will be supplied one (meaning you wont have to go out and buy crazy amounts of clothes/shoes you would never wear away from a camera). You also wont have to drag 2 suitcases to work with you everyday. You're breaks are scheduled, and you are paid during them. If you wake up one morning feeling like you are about to die you can phone your work and explain how Chrissie_Red is a naughty person you are feeling and your boss will say "hope you are feeling better tomorrow" rather than presume you are bullChrissie_Red is a naughty person ting then post a thread about it on purestorm. 

You wont have to really keep up with exercising if you really can't be arsed - you wont need to have a gym membership or the expense of exercise equiptment at home to help keep yourself as fit as possible. If your hair dye roots come in you can afford to leave it a few days if you have a normal job, nobody gives a crap at tesco if you have visable roots. If you fancy a holiday during the summer you wont have to worry too much about the bills being paid - because you get some paid holidays to take. 

You wont have to spend a horrific amount on the best makeup either, you know the stuff designed for photoshoots. You wont come home from work and empty a bag full of things you haven't wore and spend an hour putting it all away again or cleaning those you have worn - then spend time the next day hanging it up and putting it away again.

You wont have to get up 2 hours before leaving work to shave your legs/ moisturise your skin, do your makeup and style your hair - oh and pack a bag full of clothes you probably wont wear.

If you are booked for a location shoot (and even some studios) and it happens to be really f$%king cold then you can't just say "its cold, lets do this another day" - not if you rely on that money to pay a bill. As a model I push my body in ways that other people away from modelling think are completely crazy.

You wont spend hours a week updating portfolios/blogs and keeping up an active bunch of profiles or posting casting calls for a regular job. These hours do count as "working". 

If after all the travelling - packing/unpacking/ makeup/hair you still have time you spend it doing admin work, replying to mails about shoots or confirming arrangements. When you do finally sit down to actually have a bit of time for yourself in the evening your phone goes off and you are supposed to be on "call" pretty much 12 hours a day responding to people you are going to work with or else they will think you are going to cancel on them.

Sorry but you really can't compare having a regular job to modelling.. 

If I didn't love photographs and modelling I wouldn't do it - I certainly don't do it for the money but I do believe if you are doing a good job then you should be paid fairly for that job.

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Jessicaliu1993
carshaltonkev Phiesta1