CSD Images is off-line
24 February 2014 15:17
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

The main areas from my experience are:

HDD is failing, iMacs went through a rough patch with Seagate drives that would fail. Particularly the 1Tb. I knew one owner who went through 3 drives before Apple replaced it with a SSD in the end.

The other issue I've seen in OSX 10.8 and 10.9 is a weird glitch in kernel to access the drives, which Apple patched so ensure that your system is up to date. May affect older versions of OS X as well.

Dodgy nVidia graphics chips. Rather infamous chapter for nVidia in that a major portion of nVidia graphics chips failed due to substrate issues. This affected a lot of PCs and Apple computers. The faults varied but generally it was graphic corruption, system shutdowns, screen freezes and black screens. This occurred from 2007 through to early/mid 2009.

Out of all the above, the HDD is the most likely culprit especially if it's an old machine. I tend to retire my hard drives after 3 years especially system drives as that's when the chances of failure exponentially increases.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

diipii is off-line
24 February 2014 17:08
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Well noted. I will listen/watch for any hard drive "events".
I wouldn't fancy changing drives on a Mac every 3 years ! They are not the most user serviceable machines but I take your point.
It only happens all the time.

diipii is off-line
24 February 2014 17:10
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Quote from anthonyh
I would say this is a big part of your problem....if that is your standars RAM  then the video card probably has next to nothing or even relies on system RAM rather than dedicated video RAM.

You need a bigger machine from the modern era...

The graphics card has only 128mbs so steam powered compared with today's machines !
It only happens all the time.

Jay Lee is off-lineSilver Member
25 February 2014 07:06
doughnut
Photographer

London

Processor has little to do with it.

I have a Core 2 Duo pc running Windows 7, and with a dedicated graphics card (with 1GB graphics RAM) it can run HD with absolutely no stutter at all. And that was before I upgraded the pc RAM from 1GB to 4GB!

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
25 February 2014 07:26
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from doughnut
Processor has little to do with it. I have a Core 2 Duo pc running Windows 7, and with a dedicated graphics card (with 1GB graphics RAM) it can run HD with absolutely no stutter at all. And that was before I upgraded the pc RAM from 1GB to 4GB!

You do realise that video cards often have routines built-in that massively accelerate the decoding.  Since this is an old laptop it may well be that said acceleration for HD video isn't present and MAY be relying on fully decoding the video using the CPU alone (wheras your PC may be using GPU acceleration).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Steve Guy is off-line
25 February 2014 11:49
Sdeve
Photographer

Derbyshire
Derby

Contrary to popular belief, Macs are one of the easiest computers to upgrade. Just follow the steps below.
1) Unplug old Mac.
2) Place old Mac in dustbin.
3) Unpack new Mac.
4) Plug in new Mac.
5) Switch new Mac on.

Two problems with Macs.
1) They are horribly expensive.
2) You can only work on them how it lets you work on them.

I hate Macs (except the very old ones with which I have an unfortunate fascination) Pound for pound, PCs walk all over them.

Jay Lee is off-lineSilver Member
25 February 2014 19:37
doughnut
Photographer

London

Quote from RedChecker
You do realise that video cards often have routines built-in that massively accelerate the decoding.  Since this is an old laptop it may well be that said acceleration for HD video isn't present and MAY be relying on fully decoding the video using the CPU alone (wheras your PC may be using GPU acceleration).

Not sure why you're talking about laptops - an iMac is a desktop computer, isn't it?

CSD Images is off-line
25 February 2014 19:50
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

Quote from doughnut
Not sure why you're talking about laptops - an iMac is a desktop computer, isn't it?

Doesn't matter GPU offloading has been around for a while, but it's gained a lot of momentum recently with AMD APUs but that's not relevant here.

Both nVidia and AMD have the ability to encode/decode video streams to reduce the load on the CPU, it also gives a lot of power savings to the system. The Intel i3 processor also has this facility and I think some i5 SKUs.

www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

17 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Winterlilly
ansonphotography antoinewynn bengie dirkus gwentman Jpdo kingfisher Ladiesman MIB mlp Photojames43 Rhadamanthus simont Snooper911 stevegosh
barlowstudios