Reminder Secure

iMac freezes

diipii is off-line
24 February 2014 06:48
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

My old iMac 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo OS 10.6.8 regularly freezes when playing HD videos on YouTube and parts of the page corrupt into random patterns. It will un-freeze by itself after a minute or two and I suspect overheating graphics not keeping up with BT Infinity but smcFan control says 27C which does not seem excessive. The problem is gradually getting worse. Any help would be hugely appreciated.
It only happens all the time.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
24 February 2014 07:01
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Another problem, might, be the HD starting to fail! Sorry, but they were the first symptoms when mine went.

diipii is off-line
24 February 2014 07:41
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Thanks for the reply. I did suspect HD trouble but have heard nothing untoward from that area. Might be another good reason to buy a new Mac with SSD.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
24 February 2014 07:45
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Have you tried running Disc Utilities, repair permissions?

diipii is off-line
24 February 2014 09:08
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Yes, and reset SMC and PRAM

Anthonygh is off-line
24 February 2014 09:22
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

How much memory (RAM) is installed?....memory is cheap so I would max it out if you haven't done so.

diipii is off-line
24 February 2014 12:56
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Max ram fitted and working OK. It's only 3mbs on this machine.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
24 February 2014 13:03
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Is the processor actually fast enough to play HD video? (Core 2 Duos are pretty old hat now)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

diipii is off-line
24 February 2014 13:20
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Quote from RedChecker
Is the processor actually fast enough to play HD video? (Core 2 Duos are pretty old hat now)

Thanks, I think you might have hit the nail on the head with this suggestion. The iMac copes well with iMovie editing, Skype and CS3 etc but shows its age with HD video from the net. It can play HD but I suspect it taxes it beyond it ability to play it for long periods, hence the apparent overheating.
I am watching with interest the development of iMacs and might plump for a new one in about 6 months when the next incarnation is due.
Nearly all my TV is watched on the iMac these days so it wont be such a big decision.

Anthonygh is off-line
24 February 2014 14:07
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from diipii
Max ram fitted and working OK. It's only 3mbs on this machine.

I would say this is a big part of your problem....if that is your standars RAM  then the video card probably has next to nothing or even relies on system RAM rather than dedicated video RAM.

You need a bigger machine from the modern era... surprise

34 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
apriluk chandni23 Damm08 ryansd speed84 Superhawk8
ALANOMNIA antonart Blancho BOBREEVES davejarvis diphoto ElegantCaptures geronimo GerryS2 gwentman James7799 Ladiesman lify Mattcairns MIB mlp modelboutique NeilScott oscar philippahh PhilStorm poah riddell siwalters steveh32 Thunder_Photos Vapourtrail wacTony