Chrissie Red is off-line
21 February 2014 02:46
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Not me..

I'm just taking a bit of a break, personal life got in the way. Plus I'm wedding planning, going to be Mrs Red soon which is mega exciting. As of April though I'm going to throw myself back into modelling

Here's a question though (and I think I already know the answer) but does a model suddenly become more "interesting" as soon as she posts her "intention to quit" notice?
Over the years i've seen models come and go, then come back again ... then go... then come back etc... ... Sometimes they don't come back and I always feel slightly guilty for not saying a decent farewell at the time. Then other times they never bother going at all.
"Last chance to book me"

Then a week later 

"Packing in modelling, only available till 2015"

Then the castings go back to normal "available 24 hours a day 7 days a week, happy to work on the moon"

Does this scare tactic actually work? 

CSD Images is off-line
21 February 2014 02:57
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

No idea, but enjoy the well earned break and more importantly all the best for your wedding day!
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

Stu Buckland is off-line
21 February 2014 03:23
thestarglider
Photographer
thestarglider
Kent
Maidstone

I tend to find that those who quit properly don't usually make a song and dance about it. They either just go, or at most leave a single message on a forum saying why and that's it.

It's the ones who announce they are quitting in a casting call that almost never leave, and I find it mildly annoys me, making me not want to work with them more and more. I've seen a few models in that category quite a lot in recent months.

Chrissie Red is off-line
21 February 2014 03:29
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from CSD_Images
No idea, but enjoy the well earned break and more importantly all the best for your wedding day!

Thanks Rob.
The first part of the break was pretty crap but its nice to have something to really look forward to

Chrissie Red is off-line
21 February 2014 03:32
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from thestarglider
I tend to find that those who quit properly don't usually make a song and dance about it. They either just go, or at most leave a single message on a forum saying why and that's it. It's the ones who announce they are quitting in a casting call that almost never leave, and I find it mildly annoys me, making me not want to work with them more and more. I've seen a few models in that category quite a lot in recent months.

Yeah, thats maybe why I never get the chance to say a proper goodbye to the few who quietly move on.

If I ever had moments of doubt I just say it to a couple of close friends - In fact I think the last time I had doubts I mentioned it to somebody who was looking to book me months into the future (basically stopping a booking from happening).

Paul Jones is off-line
21 February 2014 05:55
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from Chrissie_Red
"Last chance to book me"

Then a week later 

"Packing in modelling, only available till 2015"

Then the castings go back to normal "available 24 hours a day 7 days a week, happy to work on the moon"

I'm sure there are lots of genuine cases, but I've also become a little cynical over the years and do wonder if ploys like this are used simply as a marketing exercise.

As you say, we see so many instances in castings:

"book me before I retire"
"book me before I have my boob job"
"book me before I lower my levels"
"book me before my rates go up"

Best regards
Paul
www.PaulJones.org

KevinJS is off-lineGold Member
21 February 2014 05:58
KevinJS
Photographer

London
London

Hi Chrissie, Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage, I hope life goes well for both of you.

I never had the opportunity to work with you as we both work in different directions, but I have read your posting and found them to be helpful and insightful so even though you are taking a short  break from modelling, if you do have five minutes please consider looking in on the Forum and posting.

Hopefully after April when you return the economy will have improved and you can get the bookings your skills deserve.

When a model usually via a casting makes the announcement she is retiring , she then moves into a slightly different arena in that some photographers collect models, booking them to increase the number of models in their portfolios, and shoot them once, so they jump in to get their collection of models increased. I also think this is a ploy by some models to get bookings. Sometime ago on the Forum (Here I think) one person made the comment that some models retire more often than Frank Sinatra.

Yet we also have a great many excellent models like Nudey Butt / Jenkins / Gemma / Vasilsa /Tibby/ Fi Stevens / Peltigera who just slip of into the sunset, for models like that it would be nice to have the opportunity to say goodbye. So again congratulations on your marriage and hopefully life will be kind to both of you.

Kevin
I want to die in my sleep, like my grandather. Not screaming like his passengers

21 February 2014 07:13
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Quote from Chrissie_Red

Quitting is like suicide. Those who want to do it, do it quietly and without fuss. The rest are simply looking for attention!

Good luck on your wedding, hope you have lots of fun!
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Gerry is off-line
21 February 2014 08:40
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Notice to quit has the opposite effect. My immediate thought is it is either a sales pitch to drum up more business or if they are really quitting, they have lost interest or something more important has come up and they wont be too bothered about future reputation so I view them as a risk. The minute they announce they are quitting, they are gone in my books.

I would far rather work with someone who is in the groove and wants to model
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

21 February 2014 09:00
paule
Photographer

If I'd worked with a model that posted they were about to quit.. I'd probably offer 'best of luck, and enjoyed working with you' kinda post.. though I wouldn't rush to book them.. after all they've said they are quitting..

If I'd never worked with them.. I'd be absolutely ambivalent to it..

The postings that make me smirk though are the "I'm back!" headlines.. ( again if it happens to be from someone I'd photographed previously I may have a more sympathetic / positive.. response )

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Jessicaliu1993
carshaltonkev Phiesta1