NEW IMAGES

Samantha Duell is off-line
19 February 2014 15:12
SDuell
Photographer
SDuell
Cambridgeshire
whittlesey

so last year i asked for some feed back on my portfiolo and got some really encouraging messages and some great advice

so after taking them on board ive tryied to apply them to my lastest work

when you've had a look at my port can you tell me if there is anything i could add, take away etc are there images i should scrap from my port, what are my strongest images

many thanks

Chrissie Red is off-line
19 February 2014 15:25
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

The only one I see which is new is this one..

I don't think its particularly good - the sky is completely blown out and there is over exposed/distracting harsh light on parts of the models face and hands and on the bottom corner of her T-shirt.

If the sky is proving difficult for you then it might be easier for you to shoot models completely in the shade? that way you wont have to worry about everything being completely different exposures.

The crop is ok though.

Apart from the lack of detail in the sky and the distracting harsh light on her face the worst crime is the selective colour. It can be used and be effective but most of the time it just looks pretty poop.

This is probably my favourite because I like the framing and the location is interesting but there is maybe a touch too much dodging and burning especially around the white dress, it almost looks like its glowing and that glow has effected the green grass around it.

I say keep it simple - really simple, don't "save" photographs in photoshop by editing - try to get the lighting right at the time of the shoot. Practice at home with objects around the house and read up on how exposure works. One of the best workshops I attended (as a photographer) was how to use natural light, it was a basic course but it was great fun seeing how slight adjustments to both the camera and the objects made all the difference.

Hugh Spence is off-line
19 February 2014 16:11
StNeots
Photographer
StNeots
Bedfordshire
Potton

There are two new images. the one chrissie red commented on and one where there is about 60% of the image devoted to featurelss blue sky. I think the selective colour at least brings your eye away from the harsh light on the side of her face in to the centre of the picture.
The other one has too much sky, and I'd have suggested a different framing. If you had used a wider aperture to get the vegetation out of focus it might have been better, but I don't think it a step forward for your portfolio.

Paul Jones is off-line
19 February 2014 16:41
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from SDuell
when you've had a look at my port can you tell me if there is anything i could add, take away etc are there images i should scrap from my port, what are my strongest images .....

You'll no doubt think I'm being harsh, but the impression I get from your portfolio is of someone who is trying to run before they can walk.

Forget the Photoshop filters, selective colour, and the dodging and burning.  Concentrate on learning "photography" and how to achieve well exposed and composed images.

What's your game plan when you're working with a model?  What are you trying to achieve?  In the two new photos I think you have made a big girl look even bigger.  She won't thank you for that.  There is no 'shape' to her in your photos.

Sorry, but the only image on your portfolio that I like is this one:

You will improve,  Just keep practising and become your own worst critic.

Best regards
Paul
www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

Profile Pictures is off-line
20 February 2014 04:33
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I don't know if there's any possibility for improvement as after the last critique you appear not to have altered your approach in a recognisably positive manner. It's almost impossible to offer anything very constructive for me, as I'm not certain what you think a good picture looks like (taken by someone else) if I knew that then I'd have some idea if you were just struggling to achieve or actually confident that what you're doing is the right thing? In other terms, say as a singer, it's easy to recognise if someone is enthusiastic but tone deaf, or has the raw ability and needs guidance to improve.

Sometimes it's hard to distance yourself from a picture and be objective, shut it down and revisit next day to be sure it's good enough and if not, just don't show anyone. Right now you're not showing any artistic leanings and so I'd concentrate on the technical side in the hope that will give you options. Do you understand exposure and the variables which contribute to it, have you really considered composition and do you think about where you'll focus on a subject to get the right look? If not, try sussing these out, bit by bit and see where it takes you.

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
FirstLifePhotography Gordee Willjamieson