Sigma Spares

Mansell is off-line
17 February 2014 19:01
Mansell
Photographer
Mansell
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Do any of you know of an online supplier of Sigma Lens spares?

The rubber zoom ring on my 24-70 lens has got looser and looser over time and now just flops about on the lens. I'd prefer to replace it rather than removing, shortening it and supergluing it back together. Sigma's standing repair charge for this lens is just under £100 so a home repair would be the only option.

Thanks

The digital camera is a great invention because it allows us to reminisce. Instantly.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
18 February 2014 03:07
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I was going to say I'm doubtful you will find anyone selling Sigma lens spares but then I did a quick Google. I'm not convinced this is a wise move as the tollerances on such equipment is so tight but there are a couple of site that may be worth a visit.

Digital Camera Parts

or my original suggestion until I spotted the above, which is finding a supplier of 'O' rings such as

The O Ring Store

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
18 February 2014 03:13
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

£100 is actually pretty reasonable for a service charge, especially if the parts are included.

I'd be willing to bet that trying to do this yourself will only end in tears.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Mansell is off-line
18 February 2014 05:46
Mansell
Photographer
Mansell
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

@redbaron

I've already checked them out and emailed them to see if they stock it as it doesn't show up on their list of sigma spares.

The 0 ring idea is one to consider if all else fails, thanks.
The digital camera is a great invention because it allows us to reminisce. Instantly.

Mansell is off-line
18 February 2014 06:01
Mansell
Photographer
Mansell
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

@RedChecker

These rubber rings seem to sell for around £15- £20 for other lenses. Sigma's charge seems excessive to me for such a low value and quick repair.

The ring slips over the body of the lens and is held in place in a groove by its own elasticity. Mine is currently stretched and baggy from use and almost drops off if the lens if removed from the body so I can't see that shortening it should cause any major problems or be worse off for trying.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
18 February 2014 14:40
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Mansell
@RedChecker These rubber rings seem to sell for around £15- £20 for other lenses. Sigma's charge seems excessive to me for such a low value and quick repair. The ring slips over the body of the lens and is held in place in a groove by its own elasticity. Mine is currently stretched and baggy from use and almost drops off if the lens if removed from the body so I can't see that shortening it should cause any major problems or be worse off for trying.

I'm with you now. I was thinking you were talking about some sealing ring within the lens body itself for some reason, perhaps because my old Sigma is quite sloppy on the telephoto controls. I take it you are actually talking about the 'O' ring that seals between the lens to the camera body, which makes a lot more sense. Hope you find one as I agree £100 would be absurd just to replace that.

Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Mansell is off-line
18 February 2014 15:14
Mansell
Photographer
Mansell
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Quote from redbaron
I'm with you now. I was thinking you were talking about some sealing ring within the lens body itself for some reason, perhaps because my old Sigma is quite sloppy on the telephoto controls. I take it you are actually talking about the 'O' ring that seals between the lens to the camera body, which makes a lot more sense. Hope you find one as I agree £100 would be absurd just to replace that.

It's not a sealing ring, it's the flat rubber finger grip that fits onto the barrel for the zoom mechanism. Looks like a 10mm wide, thick black rubber band and provides a non-slip surface when using the zoom.

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
19 February 2014 00:37
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

If you want to try out the O ring route try Cromwell tools or Darnell tools in Sheffield they stock them, Or Screwfix they have a branch in Sheffield down near the B&Q towards Heeley.

Andy is off-line
19 February 2014 04:10
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

what about self amalgamating tape - rubber tape that you peel the backing off, stretch as you wrap and it chemically bonds to itself within 24 hours forming one piece of rubber ! Scrwfix sells it for a couple of quid.
it's not ribbed or anything but i have worked with it for years and it is very "grippy" even when wet
lets get shootin

Andy is off-line
19 February 2014 04:13
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

amalgamating tape demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-vtvUC4RoQ
lets get shootin

15 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Inori Jenny_P_Model rob452 staceyolacey toxicinnocence zavego
63jian AndiCallen copperbronze Gaudinio GGDP_Photography Joolsy JRsPhotography modelboutique
Dav2449