Andy is off-line
17 February 2014 18:50
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

Macro !
Canon shooter so any lens advice, general advice,very much appreciated, it's a subject that always fascinated me.
lets get shootin

RealityImaging is off-line
18 February 2014 01:51
RealityImaging
Photographer

Worcestershire

The 100mm Macro is a beautiful lens. If you can afford the VR version I would go for it. However if you want to try out Macro on a budget, if you have a 50mm lens, just buy a reversing ring. Not too good in the edges but certainly good enough to play around with. Cheers, RI

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
18 February 2014 02:16
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

For the relatively small difference in cost (compared to other non-L / L series differences), the L series version is well worth considering as the stabiliser is a godsend for spontaneous shooting. Without the stabiliser you'll need a tripod and/or flash.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

AlletunYL is off-line
18 February 2014 04:53
AlletunYL
Photographer

London

Yes 100mm Canon Macro L series lens on a 600D body just works a dream.

18 February 2014 05:31
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

It's probably worth mentioning as well that Canon have superceded the MR-14EX macro ring flash with a mk2.

The old one is still available at ~£150 cheaper than the new one and it supports IR wireless TTL wheras the new one is radio wireless to work with the likes of the new 600EX speedlites, so this may be of importance if you have some older Canon units with IR TTL while the old MR-14 is still available.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Andy is off-line
18 February 2014 05:55
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

"It's probably worth mentioning as well that Canon have superceded the MR-14EX macro ring flash with a mk2."

So Gary Fong lied when he said the lightsphere was the only flash accessory i'd ever need ?
lets get shootin

Len Maynard is off-line
18 February 2014 06:47
Skid2
Photographer
Skid2
Cheshire
Stockport

I shoot macro but had to go for the 180mm as all the shorter length lens brought me too close to the reptiles especially within the strike distance of adders. http://www.skid2me.co.uk/skid/family/pages/112add.htm

I see that the ring flash MR14 EXII has still not arrived but is on back order from WEX and Calumet.
"I never cared for fashion much, amusing little seams and witty little pleats: it was the girls I liked." - David Bailey

18 February 2014 06:56
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Skid2
I see that the ring flash MR14 EXII has still not arrived but is on back order from WEX and Calumet.

It's due around May/June time IIRC, but if you'd rather have a mk1 now's the time to buy before stocks are depleted.

Dave Beasley is off-line
18 February 2014 11:15
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

I too use the Canon 100mm 2.8L IS, a superb lens for macro and head/shoulder shots.

I have recently dabbled with focus stacking for my macro images, works well with static subjects, no good for the bees around lavender though !!

Dave

18 February 2014 11:25
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I've got the non-L 100mm and it must be said it makes a belter of a portrait lens, the only thing against it is the AF is a bit slow and tends to hunt around (as it probably does on all genuine macro lenses). Optically I don't think there's much between the L and non L (personal observations, although it could be mine is a good one when comparing against the L one I've used)

6 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Nic_n_katie
dazglam jbwalton jeffsham jsp murdomcd