How do you get paid?

This thread is being watched by 2 people
Paul Hutchinson is off-line
16 February 2014 11:45
Paulhutchphotos
Photographer

Lincolnshire

Hi,

I'm an amateur/semi pro who is looking at moving over to model photography. I am amateur in the sense I have done very little with models, but semi pro in the sense I have been doing paid jobs for a few years now at combat sports events, weddings, etc.
Just recently I've been arranging TFP/CD days with MUAs, Models and photographers all coming along to learn and build individual portfolios. However I now want/need to start getting paid even if just to cover my costs and equipment, but everything seems to be aimed towards models getting paid and photographers paying out.

Kevin Wilson is off-line
16 February 2014 11:52
kerandastudio2
Studio
kerandastudio2
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

" How do you get paid" ?

Simple , you pay the model then find someone to pay you for the work.

Much the same as any other business , you buy materiasls from a wholesaler then charge a customer to install the materials.

Chrissie Red is off-line
16 February 2014 12:13
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Honestly though there are so many people trying to make a living out of photography that you would need to have a Chrissie_Red is a naughty person load of luck and a leprechaun living under your bed if you aspire to make money out of model photography.

I would stick to the weddings and build up a good reputation in that field if its something you enjoy.

16 February 2014 12:33
Paulhutchphotos
Photographer

Lincolnshire

Excuse me being naive but who would just buy photos of random models? Surely if a model wants to be a model she should pay the photographer to take photos? You say it's much the same as any other business but you don't go to the wholesalers produce and pack the goods and ship them to yourself, then try and find someone who wants them.
I appreciate the advice thanks

HowardJ is off-line
16 February 2014 12:40
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from Paulhutchphotos
Excuse me being naive but who would just buy photos of random models? Surely if a model wants to be a model she should pay the photographer to take photos? You say it's much the same as any other business but you don't go to the wholesalers produce and pack the goods and ship them to yourself, then try and find someone who wants them.
I appreciate the advice thanks

D'OH!!

Bangs head against brick wall.

That's where I've been going wrong all these years.

16 February 2014 12:54
Paulhutchphotos
Photographer

Lincolnshire

I was asking for advice HorwardJ, not sarcasm. Just because I'm new to the photography game doesn't mean I'm stupid. It just seems logical that the model should pay for the work?

Gerry is off-line
16 February 2014 13:00
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Excuse me being naive but who would just buy photos of random models? Surely if a model wants to be a model she should pay the photographer to take photos? You say it's much the same as any other business but you don't go to the wholesalers produce and pack the goods and ship them to yourself, then try and find someone who wants them. I appreciate the advice thanks

This post suggests you ought to spend a bit of time understanding the dynamics of model photography before you put any energy into trying to make a living from it. 

There is a tiny handful of people good enough to actually charge models for portfolio shots because they are exceptionally gifted AND have established a market. There is no market for people just to rock up and ask models to pay them.

Most decent photographers realise this and TF with them for creative reasons and shoot something else to pay the bills. You are competing against this - why would a model pay you? Without a reputation, even TF will be a struggle with models worth shooting.

There are people who speculatively take pictures of models by paying them and then sell the pictures to websites or magazines. Again, the only people making any money out of it have established markets. There are loads trying to do it who don't even cover their costs but do it because it has more job satisfaction than working a 9 to 5 in an office.
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Gerry is off-line
16 February 2014 13:02
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

I was asking for advice HorwardJ, not sarcasm. Just because I'm new to the photography game doesn't mean I'm stupid. It just seems logical that the model should pay for the work?

No its not logical because the market is skewed completely in the models favour. They just don't need to pay you for pictures, it is not worth their while
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

HowardJ is off-line
16 February 2014 13:05
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Believe it or not but models actually need to make a living too. They get paid for... wait for it... modelling.

It's your job to sell the work you produce including finding suitable markets for it. You then shoot models that fit the demand in the market.

Some models do syndication work where they take a split of the profits from selling the output of the shoot. There is risk to shooting in such a way as the work may never get sold and the model may get nothing which is why they tend to only shoot under such terms with very well established photographers who have well established relationships with companies or individuals who will buy the work.

It's pretty simple really.

Do you understand now?

Neil Anderson is off-line
16 February 2014 13:06
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

A model models for photographers or artists, and as a job expects to be paid.
An aspiring model with any real chance of becoming a model will normally find someone happy to photograph them on some sort of trade or paid basis.
People who are prepared to pay people for photos are not models. You may get the occasional wannabe model who would pay, but not enough to make much of a living. (Try facebook or card in shopwindow if you're looking for those)

As has been pointed out models get paid mainly because the photos that feature them are saleable and the photographer is either paid directly by the client or sells the photos. Some if not most models on this site make money from being paid by photographers who photograph models as a hobby (even if they do other types of photography professionally).

If anyone is making money from shooting models it is unlikely they will want to share any trade secrets with a potential competitor.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Davetse duncanjames rscott360 Willy_O