Reminder Secure

Recovery programme

16 February 2014 08:12
Brian_Markie
Photographer

Hi and thanks for reading and an even bigger thanks for helping me if you can. I need help in recovering a deleted folder of images on my laptop; my trash can was automatically emptied disabling me from normally recovering back to where they should have been. The images have are so vital in importance of past family members (Grandparents, Aunts & Uncles etc) I'm at my wits end fearing i may have lost them permanently. All of the images had been worked to to a high standard in giving them a face lift which thinking about it I've been doing over a number of years. I have been informed that nothing is ever permanently deleted and that they can be recovered. So i was wondering if anyone else had faced a similar situation and had successfully recovered them. If you have can you forward some advice on the IT software you used. Many thanks for reading and please feel free to email me with your ideas.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
16 February 2014 08:16
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

First and foremost.... stop using that machine, even in so much as booting it up until you find a possible solution.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
16 February 2014 08:19
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

At this point it may be possible & worthwhile looking into making a sector-by-sector backup/mirror of the harddisk from that machine onto a USB drive, again until you find a solution to this problem. The sector-by-sector backup is important as it will ensure the deleted data is also copied over.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

16 February 2014 08:40
Brian_Markie
Photographer

Good thinking Red Checker and in the process now. Thanks for the advice.

G Jack B is off-line
16 February 2014 12:08
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

I have used Wondershare Data Recovery to good effect in the past. If it is mission critical I would send the drive off to a reputable data recovery company.

good luck
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

HowardJ is off-line
16 February 2014 14:28
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Buy a SanDisk memory card and you'll get free recovery software included.

CSD Images is off-line
16 February 2014 14:41
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

First things first, as Steven stays stop using the laptop.

Next use a program called GetDataBack and slave the laptop drive to your desktop.

It's unlikely you'll get 100% back but you should get most back if you have not written anything to the drive and the drive is fairly empty. If it's near full then your chances are lower. If you have VSC (Volume Shadow Copy) enabled then you may have a good chance of recovering data even if the drive is near full.

Depending on the size of the drive a full scan will take several hours however GDB is the tool I use for much of the data recovery work I've done in the past for non-mechanical failures.

Once you've recovered the data, learn how to back up critical data to multiple drives/systems. It'll save you pulling your hair out in frustration or panic.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

16 February 2014 14:46
Brian_Markie
Photographer

Many thanks Howard and CSD. Im in the middle of an attempt. If it fails I will try your suggestions.

Paul Riddell is off-line
17 February 2014 05:10
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Absolutely. Stop using the machine.

The best software I've ever come across for data recovery without getting stupidly expensive and complex is ZAR.

And I used to work professionally as a data recover!

If you delete something you want and get onto it immediately with ZAR then I'd say you have pretty much a 100% chance of recovery.

The more you use the machine and write files the less chance you have. Basic internet browsing will write loads of files and diminishes your chances quite rapidly, especially if the hard drive is full.

www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Bill_M is off-line
17 February 2014 07:58
Bill_M
Photographer

Lanarkshire

If that happened to me I would stop using the laptop, remove the hard disk and connect it to my desktop machine to do the recovery. I have had success before with both Get Data Back and ZAR.

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Modtog1976 Rowen16