Scottish referendum.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
16 February 2014 10:29
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Regardless of what they do, on the positive side we (the rest of the UK) will be rid of Salmon for good as he'll either bugger off north of Hadrian's wall or quit politics if the majority vote 'no' if he's true to his word (he said he'd quit if he didn't get the yes vote).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

click_gotcha is off-line
16 February 2014 11:01
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

For any undecided people. Has this week's currency "debate" pushed you towards either side?

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
16 February 2014 11:07
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

Quote from Crippen As it won't be long before there are more Pakistani's living in the UK, than there are Scottish people, perhaps the blue part of the flag should be changed to green. Just an observation. Not trying to be provocative. Honest. Dave

Difficult to see how you can unprovocatively see that 1.17M ethnic Pakistanis will soon be greater than 5.8M of Scots origin. However there are probably more people ethnically Pakistani in England (>1M) than Scots in England (<0.8M)

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
16 February 2014 11:25
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

While the full story is pretty involved and complex, as appears to be getting revealed in dribs and drabs, the SNP seem to have been making a lot of assumptions, particularly about what they can pick and choose to include in their 'package', and can't or maybe pretending not to comprehend why they would not be allowed to just use Sterling.

It is interesting that there is such, apparent agreement from Con, Lab, Lib Dem, against the deal and, indeed, the EEC position, which looks to be a comprehensive 'Non' to Scotland just walking in.

HowardJ is off-line
16 February 2014 11:30
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Maybe they'll offer a bounty for returning Scots (tax break or lower property taxes) and build a more diverse economy?

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
16 February 2014 11:34
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

You can debate the right or wrongs about the English (and NI, Welsh) voters not having a say in Scottish Independence - but if Independence were to go through then we absolutely must have a say in any currency union.

I'm against Scottish Independence (sure, it would be good to see the back of a vocal minority of Scots who've always see the English as the root of their problems) - I think the combined country has a better prospect of success on the world stage.

If Independence were to pass, I'd be very strongly against currency union though - since I don't think it'd be in our interest. Good to see the political parties having some agreement on this - and Osborne spelling it out.

16 February 2014 11:41
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Andy_B
You can debate the right or wrongs about the English (and NI, Welsh) voters not having a say in Scottish Independence - but if Independence were to go through then we absolutely must have a say in any currency union. I'm against Scottish Independence (sure, it would be good to see the back of a vocal minority of Scots who've always see the English as the root of their problems) - I think the combined country has a better prospect of success on the world stage. If Independence were to pass, I'd be very strongly against currency union though - since I don't think it'd be in our interest. Good to see the political parties having some agreement on this - and Osborne spelling it out.

+1

I'm also of the genuine belief it should also be all or nothing. 

They're either with us or they're not, I don't agree with any half-measures as Salmond would prefer.

I if they vote 'no' however I would like to see the West Lothian Question resolved, in so much that Scottish MPs cannot vote on English matters.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

David Hibberd is off-line
16 February 2014 11:47
davidhibberd
Photographer
davidhibberd
Highland

Quote from Andy_B
I think the combined country has a better prospect of success on the world stage.

There is no such thing is "the combined country".    The United Kingdom is made up of England, Wales, Scotland and part of the island of Ireland - all distinctively different.

Here for a short time for a good time

16 February 2014 11:49
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

In case of confusion regarding British Isles, United Kingdom, countries etc...

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
16 February 2014 12:15
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

Quote from RedChecker

I if they vote 'no' however I would like to see the West Lothian Question resolved, in so much that Scottish MPs cannot vote on English matters.

And vice versa of course. So if there is to be renegotiation of the Union after a No vote then the actual preferred option of the Scottish people by several opinion polls should be the outcome - "devolution max" which is really what most matches the needs and aspirations of both Scotland and England.

A lot of britain's energy in the next century will come from Scotland, independence or not, from hydro, tidal, wind, oil, gas and possibly nuclear.

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
roxsanniebel ryansd
cliffc Daddylonglense davidn dorrian imageatthemill Images1854 jccj1 kai_kul lify Mwphotos plymjack powerbook92 Reynard scott24 stevegosh Steveh32 Steveharratt talldave68 wayne