nuisance calls

David Barns is off-line
13 February 2014 05:49
david_barns
Photographer

Greater Manchester
East Manhester

Nuisance calls.

We are all now familiar with the call from someone pretending to be a subsidiary of Microsoft and telling us they are getting malicious signals from our computer but is this a new one?
Yesterday I received a call form a man with the usual Asian accent asking if I was receiving a lot of nuisance calls. As this was the case and I recently contacted the Telephone Preference line I gave him the benefit of the dought and went along with the conversation. After some sales talk telling me that the problem would be resolved He eventually asked for £79 and I would be sent a devise to plug into my phone line and all my problems would be solved. At this point I ended the call.
The call was from an 00120 number. Has anyone else received one of these calls?

DAVID SHARPLES. is off-line
13 February 2014 07:58
Dave@studio99
Photographer
Dave@studio99
Lancashire
DARWEN

All the time unfortunately - and these numbers beginning with 00 don't seem to be governed by the rules of the TPS,I had a row with one on the phone only last week,I told him I wasn't interested and that I wanted my details removing from their database "I'm afraid that's not possible sir" came the reply,so I dropped the phone,only to be called later by someone else from the same place,I repeated what I had said earlier about having my details removed,and was given an apology and an assurance that my details would be removed from their database..........So far,so good.

Neil Anderson is off-line
13 February 2014 08:36
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from Dave@studio99
All the time unfortunately - and these numbers beginning with 00 don't seem to be governed by the rules of the TPS,I had a row with one on the phone only last week,I told him I wasn't interested and that I wanted my details removing from their database "I'm afraid that's not possible sir" came the reply,so I dropped the phone,only to be called later by someone else from the same place,I repeated what I had said earlier about having my details removed,and was given an apology and an assurance that my details would be removed from their database..........So far,so good.

Numbers beginning with 00 are from abroad, which is why they think they can ignore the TPS. If they are on behalf of a UK company you should report them. It is safe to assume that they at best disreputable and quite likely to be a scam.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Gary Newton is off-line
13 February 2014 09:27
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Essex

I generally play with these people, talk to them, ask lots of questions then say I'll get my credit card and leave the phone on the side till they hang up, or my wife talks irish to them Strange though only about a dozen people have my landline, I would ignore international calls but I get calls from states or Ireland and my caller id just says external.

Alan Johnson is off-line
13 February 2014 09:38
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
South Yorkshire

I invested in a BT6500 phone,  which has been excellent at reducing the number of nuisance calls.  Those that do get through, ie do not withhold their number and not international, I simply press a button and block them.  I reckon it's stopped at least 90%, based on the number I used to get.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a motorbike and that's pretty close! :o)

Funky is off-line
13 February 2014 10:33
Funky
Photographer
Funky
Birmingham

Regarding the OP it was probably a scam.  BT however do do a phone (as mentioned above) which can reject anonomous calls, international calls, etc.  Regarding our Microsoft friends I told the last one i did not have a computer - I haven't had any more since!  For the other calls, when they ask for Mr xxxx, I play them along for a bit.  My father, who had the same surname, lived with us until recently until he died.  When I mention that Mr xxxx died two months ago, they are full of apologies and I have never had one ring back.  A friend of mine always pretends to be an answering machine when answering the phone.  A genuine caller knows this and identifies themself.  A Funky is a naughty person caller soon rings off.

21 February 2014 04:33
johnlp
Photographer

It's normally a "Samantha" or "James", with an Indian accent. I tell them if they can't be truthful about their names I can't trust anything they say and put the phone down; or I string them along, depending how I feel.

David Barns is off-line
21 February 2014 14:18
david_barns
Photographer

Greater Manchester
East Manhester

Thanks every for your input. I will invest in a new phone.

HowardJ is off-line
21 February 2014 18:17
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Unfortunately my elderly Mum got harassed by these people and got taken for £300 and ended up in tears and lost all her confidence and refused to answer the phone for three months.

I reported the crime to the police and we recovered the money from the bank. I've now had her number changed and made her ex-directory. The police said they can't do anything to trace or stop these calls as they're done over the internet. The scammers use the BT online phone book to target particular postcodes at a time. You'll find that your neighbours will be receiving the calls too.

My advice is hang up and enjoy your life.

Razoir is off-line
23 February 2014 06:45
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Quote from Alan_Jay
I invested in a BT6500 phone,  which has been excellent at reducing the number of nuisance calls.  Those that do get through, ie do not withhold their number and not international, I simply press a button and block them.  I reckon it's stopped at least 90%, based on the number I used to get.

I ask them if they have found Jesus and ask them to kneel down and pray with me. They usually hang up on me!
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

6 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Kingpanther786
bogan carshaltonkev doctor rscott360 skinz