Flooding

Peter Hague is off-line
11 February 2014 18:36
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Quote from speedway45
Now the floods have reached London our prime minister has said that money is no object. Now that London is in danger,he thinks we may now have a problem.

When the effluent hits the affluent...............
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

Rupert Rudd is off-line
11 February 2014 19:08
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
East Yorkshire
Hull

North / South. In 2006 when Hull and immediate area had 6500 houses flooded out and a man slowly drowned to death, it was on TV but much less of an outcry than the Somerset Levels with far less people affected. Care homes here evacuated, services interupted and the City just had to get on with it. No PM shovelling money into the area. Whilst I have huge sympathy with the South and the current problems it is difficult to forget that we felt they had turned their backs to the North.
A little help is worth a lot of sympathy.

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
12 February 2014 06:00
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from RupertRudd
North / South. In 2006 when Hull and immediate area had 6500 houses flooded out and a man slowly drowned to death, it was on TV but much less of an outcry than the Somerset Levels with far less people affected. Care homes here evacuated, services interupted and the City just had to get on with it. No PM shovelling money into the area.

Bearing in mind that the PM at the time represented a northern constituency and the Deputy PM actually represented a Hull constituency it rather puzzled me why the chattering Lefties didn't make a fuss about that, just like they didn't have much of a go at the Blair regime when the then Labour constituency of Selby in Yorkshire was badly affected by flooding of the Ouse in 2000. But then again the Left was strangely quiet on the public protest front for thirteen years until May 2010, so I suppose I shouldn't have expected them to make waves for their heroes.
There is a lot of bullsh!t being spouted about the floods (this was Somerset last Friday) but the three key factors are quite simple:-
  • Too many properties have been built at ground level on flood plains
  • Too much emphasis has been placed on providing habitats for wetlands wildlife
  • Too much of the Atlantic has been dumped on southern England this winter.
These are not problems generated by the present Government as the first two have built up over a great many years and the third is either the result of an ultra-long-term natural weather cycle or the cumulation of a couple of centuries of global industrialisation causing climate change.

Bob

KHV is off-line
12 February 2014 06:20
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

Common lets get real, villages and towns have been flooding for years, and I noticed that when farmers in the uplands started to get serious with draining the fields, and when we had downpours, the ditches started to overflow due to the speed of the water coming off the fields due to that drainage.

Subsequently water poured into the small burns, becks (streams, and within hours the rivers were pushing that water downstream in torrents which meant that banks burst and where floods had occurred occasionally, they have become more common.

I believe that farmers downstream, say in the levels and low lying areas near the coast, are being flooded due to the farmers further in the uplands and hills.

You canny have it both ways Eddie Grundy.

Neil Anderson is off-line
12 February 2014 06:32
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from Bob
Bearing in mind that the PM at the time represented a northern constituency and the Deputy PM actually represented a Hull constituency it rather puzzled me why the chattering Lefties didn't make a fuss about that, just like they didn't have much of a go at the Blair regime when the then Labour constituency of Selby in Yorkshire was badly affected by flooding of the Ouse in 2000. But then again the Left was strangely quiet on the public protest front for thirteen years until May 2010, so I suppose I shouldn't have expected them to make waves for their heroes.

There is a lot of bullsh!t being spouted about the floods (this was Somerset last Friday) but the three key factors are quite simple:-

Too many properties have been built at ground level on flood plains

Too much emphasis has been placed on providing habitats for wetlands wildlife

Too much of the Atlantic has been dumped on southern England this winter.

These are not problems generated by the present Government as the first two have built up over a great many years and the third is either the result of an ultra-long-term natural weather cycle or the cumulation of a couple of centuries of global industrialisation causing climate change.

Bob

Which lefties? Which of these: The Daily Mail, UKIP, The Somerset Farmers, Thames Valley Tory councils and councillors, Eric Pickles, Patrick McLoughlin, Owen Paterson.

Us lefties have only complained about the inappropriate and juvenile blame game being fought by (and between) cabinet ministers. I would also query whether cutting the Environment Agency's budget is an obvious solution to the problem.

My understanding is that the flooding in Somerset has gone on for an unprecedented period which distinguished it from other (northern) floods mentioned here. Obviously the Thames Valley will attract attention because it is close to London and cheap for the media to cover, and full of important (rich) people with friends in high places.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

12 February 2014 06:47
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from stolenfaces
Which lefties?

The blinkered Loony Lefties on the forums who seem to believe that every problem, be it caused by thirteen years of Brown/Blair incompetence or even by Mother Nature / God / Allah / Deity of Choice etc., must somehow be directly attributable to the present Government. This is a perennial problem which surfaces every time the Left loses power and it usually persists until they get back into power, at which point they get down of their soapbox. It's almost as depressing as the current weather.
Bob

DJ200 is off-line
12 February 2014 06:49
DJ200
Photographer
DJ200
Hertfordshire

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1372545/Rural-homes-plan-will-threaten-flood-plains.html

I remember this farce well.

Oliver Cook is off-line
12 February 2014 07:03
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

I think there is a bigger root problem here; as a civilisation we have come to see everything through the prism of the last couple of hundred years at maximum. We judge everything based on the time scales of our short lives, or the even shorter careers of specific institutions, agencies and governments. We build and live accordingly. This is the problem. Whether or not you subscribe to the man-made climate change theories or not, one thing is clear. If you look back through the history of the planet - not of our current civilisation - it will become clear that catastrophic change is normal. Hugely brutal weather events and natural disasters are the norm. The scale of some of these events in the deep past (from our point of view) is staggering.

We need to get our heads out of our asses and open our eyes. Everything we have built is incredibly vulnerable, has been built during a relatively quiet period, and if the planet just does what it has always done then there will be many more shocks for us. We don't own the planet, it is not a garden. Building cities a few metres above sea level, criss-crossing everywhere with fragile roads, railways, pipes and cables, relying on very precise irrigation and drainage systems.... well, I just don't see how it 'gels' with the planet's natural ways.

12 February 2014 07:29
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from artistoli
I think there is a bigger root problem here; as a civilisation we have come to see everything through the prism of the last couple of hundred years at maximum.

Some do not even look back that far, and only take what is effectively the television age, or even the 24-hour news age, into consideration. The low-lying wetlands area of the Somerset Moors (not the slightly higher Somerset Levels, which the mainstream media mistakenly refers to the afflicted area as) has seen several much worse flood episodes since 1600 caused by a combination of surge tides and prolonged heavy rainfall. However, as there is no television footage of these events mention of it doesn't feature too highly in current broadcasts.
Bob

Tony Stephenson is off-line
12 February 2014 11:10
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Never mind all this political namecalling and blame - here are the real culprits where all this flooding is concerned!indecision

http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2014/jan/21/how-same-sex-marriage-causes-floods

www.le-femme.co.uk

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Czechbeauty HannahC85 Kayleigh94 Softgentle
BOBREEVES BobWright cps david1500 ellessephotography Essexjohn gwentman Ladiesman MIB mike0048 mrdl philippahh PhilStorm Poss riddell swalsh58 TinDolls vipimages Willjamieson