All out of love with my camera

OldMaster is off-line
10 February 2014 15:33
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

"Its just like riding a bike innit - but some folk cant do that and its much harder than photography"

Really? Perhaps that's part of the problem! Actually doing photography even a bit well requires a lot more skill than riding a bike which most kids learn by the age of 5 or so. Try teaching them about apertures, shutter speeds, focal lengths, white balance, DOF, ISO, etc. There have been volumes of work written about photography, probably less about riding a bike! And that's before you get to teach them the bit you can't, the creativity?

Tackle it from a different perspective, read some books and articles about different aspects of photography and visit a few exhibitions to learn and see something new. David Bailey is on for a start and that should trigger something!

Its the desire to take pictures that is missing at the moment, the tool box is just there to provide you with the means when you next feel motivated to return to creativity?

David Hibberd is off-line
10 February 2014 16:23
davidhibberd
Photographer
davidhibberd
Highland

Quote from OldMaster
"Its just like riding a bike innit - but some folk cant do that and its much harder than photography" Really? Perhaps that's part of the problem! Actually doing photography even a bit well requires a lot more skill than riding a bike which most kids learn by the age of 5 or so. Try teaching them about apertures, shutter speeds, focal lengths, white balance, DOF, ISO, etc. There have been volumes of work written about photography, probably less about riding a bike! And that's before you get to teach them the bit you can't, the creativity?

You have missed the point entirely but thats no problem. For the benefit of the OP (who probably understood anyway) what I meant was that once you can ride a bike it is a skill that always stays with you - the same with photography and many other activities. As regards "Try teaching them about apertures, shutter speeds, focal lengths, white balance, DOF, ISO, etc. There have been volumes of work written about photography," I am with Andreas Feininger "A technically perfect photograph can be the worlds most boring picture" but then I'm just old - not an Old Master
Here for a short time for a good time

Anthonygh is off-line
10 February 2014 16:43
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from davidhibberd
You have missed the point entirely but thats no problem. For the benefit of the OP (who probably understood anyway) what I meant was that once you can ride a bike it is a skill that always stays with you - the same with photography and many other activities. As regards "Try teaching them about apertures, shutter speeds, focal lengths, white balance, DOF, ISO, etc. There have been volumes of work written about photography," I am with Andreas Feininger "A technically perfect photograph can be the worlds most boring picture" but then I'm just old - not an Old Master

Unfortunately some cameras are more complicated than bikes...I suspect I will have to do a brief 'reminder' (maybe not so brief!!) when I start doing studio shoots again using a DSLR.....part of the reason I like reverting back to something 'basic'...as mentioned a post or two above.

I quite enjoy coaxing the max image quality out of film or a point and shoot...which is a challenge in itself and in some respects takes ones mind off the need to create 'great pictures'....although I don't do so bad....maybe the instinct to see a 'good' picture is always there even if consciously more concerned with mastering the tool to hand.....even a basic tool like a manual focus film camera and a hand held meter!

Anyway...works for me when I lack motivation...

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
11 February 2014 13:01
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from SMILESPHOTO
Next month, six months will have passed by since I picked up a camera. My confidence has wained and incentive robbed. I thought that having my equipment returned to me last December would have been the catalyst to start shooting again but alas, no.

I'm not looking for words of encouragement but was wondering if anyone else here has experienced anything similar after being deprived of their beloved camera, whether it be from breakage, loss or deprivation and if so, how long it took to get back into the swing of things

Same for me I'm sorry to say. Had to have an emergency operation last July (on the day I was due to travel to Paris to photograph the TDF as happens every year). Wasn't signed off until second week in December and during that time with the depression that followed the op I seem to have lost my mojo. I know it will come back and it will take just a small spark to rekindle the flame but in the meantime I'm keeping busy with other things. If this bad weather ever passes I might actually get out and start with landscapes or sport before trying to connect with a model!  

It was broken when I got here

OldMaster is off-line
11 February 2014 14:17
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Well David.. I fear it was at least ambiguous then? It makes none of the rest of my post irrelevant though. Unlike your reply which is so much more about you than helping the op.

Try and deal with your insecurity and inferiority complex rather than publish it here!

Neil Anderson is off-line
11 February 2014 15:05
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from OldMaster
Well David.. I fear it was at least ambiguous then? It makes none of the rest of my post irrelevant though. Unlike your reply which is so much more about you than helping the op.

Try and deal with your insecurity and inferiority complex rather than publish it here!

David's point didn't seem ambiguous to me.
The basics of photography are not really that difficult.
Seeing a photo before you take it is usually the difficult bit.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Samantha Duell is off-line
11 February 2014 16:10
SDuell
Photographer
SDuell
Cambridgeshire
whittlesey

i go through spits and spirts of working on several projects then having a break at times i can feel slightly disheartened maybe a bit defeated for whatever reason

im just getting outta 1 of these stages and ive just booked a shoot for next week

i think everyone goes through this you just loose what spurs you on to shoot weather it be models or landscape so dont feel like your alone cause you aint

Rich G is off-line
11 February 2014 16:31
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Kent

Thanks everyone for your kind words and contributions - you've already made me feel motivated enough to agree a shoot for the end of next month!

It's interesting how even highly motivated people and pros seem to occasionally get in a rut. In some ways it's actually more of an issue when it's purely a hobby because you HAVE to enjoy what you're doing, otherwise it's no longer a hobby!

Purestorm to the rescue!
HAPPY TO WORK UP TO OPEN WALLET LEVELS

Frank Sinnott is off-line
11 February 2014 19:40
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

As John Wayne once said "Get on your bike and drink your milk". Or was it get off your bike and drink your milk. Good luck with the shoot.

Rich G is off-line
12 February 2014 02:57
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Kent

Quote from frankpht
As John Wayne once said "Get on your bike and drink your milk". Or was it get off your bike and drink your milk. Good luck with the shoot.

I think in my case Frank it might be more a case of 'Get off your face and drink whisky'!!

HAPPY TO WORK UP TO OPEN WALLET LEVELS

13 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Asian_amy_Latina mandymack
duncanjames fannmore glamshots hioctane James7799 Kjoservices M4150S photomart rscott360 Steveh32 thelook