Reminder Secure

All out of love with my camera

Rich G is off-line
09 February 2014 16:54
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Kent

Next month, six months will have passed by since I picked up a camera. My confidence has wained and incentive robbed. I thought that having my equipment returned to me last December would have been the catalyst to start shooting again but alas, no.

I'm not looking for words of encouragement but was wondering if anyone else here has experienced anything similar after being deprived of their beloved camera, whether it be from breakage, loss or deprivation and if so, how long it took to get back into the swing of things
HAPPY TO WORK UP TO OPEN WALLET LEVELS

rich Osullivan is off-lineSilver Member
09 February 2014 17:35
canoncan
Photographer
canoncan
Essex
ongar

Hi
I am In the same position , I have not shot since August last year
It is on my part, life just getting in the way
iHave put up a casting call this evening and am waiting for a response and am really looking forward to it
The reasons that have a negative effect are the constant chasing
Will they won't they shoot then to be let down
It is absolutely frustrating beyond belief
Time and expense as well

However , ideas , concepts and the creativity overtakes it.

Just recently , my wife wanted me to give up photography
For a number of reasons ,one of which was the time
But I have succesfully argued my corner and I will continue
Unless I don't get what I want out of it.

You are not alone my friend take your time it's not law you have too shoot
Do other things find out what it is that you want to put your effort into
And if it's not taking pictures then it will be something else you enjoy

Rich

David Hibberd is off-line
09 February 2014 17:40
davidhibberd
Photographer
davidhibberd
Highland

A camera is just a tool isn't it. (I am struggling not to be encouraging) As and when the time is right I am sure all will fall into place. On the other hand why not be pragmatic - resolve to pick up your camera and go and photograph something readily available and work at making a worthwhile result. Its just like riding a bike innit - but some folk cant do that and its much harder than photography.
Here for a short time for a good time

Stefan Schiefer is off-line
09 February 2014 17:42
stefanschiefer
Photographer

South Yorkshire

There's an incredible book called "creative 52" which really helped me out of a rut!

We've all been there, I'll be honest, I'm feeling like I'm still in it now but that book is amazing.

So many unique and positive ideas, which really make you think.

Stefan

09 February 2014 18:02
Catuaba
Photographer

No matter what you do in life or where you go, whether it be photography or another hobby or business, or anything. There will always be problems. Some of these problems are there to shape us as individuals, provide us with life experience, make us stronger, alter our paths if they need it. Some are there because the world is such a mess that there's too much panic and confusion and you cant really seem to get enjoyment out of anything anymore without there being someone around to spoil it. Progression, was of course a good thing originally, albeit perhaps just went on too long. If you get disheartened now with photography, then the next hobby, business, idea that has a twist in it will also be placed on the back burner too with the attitude of 'oh I'm not bothering with that anymore'. It's not your circumstances but of course your attitude to them, how you deal with them, when life squeezes you the behaviour of a winner or loser comes out. If you need a motivation watch les brown on youtube. But there will be many people feeling the same pinch, whatever the circumstances and even if they are different. I'm sure on here we have some time served experienced photographers who have dabbled in weddings, and now feel since you can walk into any supermarket and buy a dslr that their trade and skill is undermined. In some ways I guess it's nice that things like photoshop are so expensive, although of course there will always be pirate copies, it's perhaps separating every single household from saying 'oh photoshop, yeah I can do that'.
Times are hard for everyone, but don't feel any less of a person doing something you enjoy, If you know it's all good. Amen

09 February 2014 18:19
johnlp
Photographer

I've been working on a number of "projects" over the last two years, nothing ambitious, just ideas I wanted to get my teeth into. I've got 5 more shoots booked, and then that's it. I reckon I will have tried everything on my "to do" list, so I'm going to take a long break, 3, 4 or more months.

BUT, I've thought that before, then come back with a new perspective and got stuck in again. There's more to do than just this type of photography, lots of totally different things to try, but it's always here if I want to come back.

So don't feel bad about taking a break, see it as an opportunity to do something else.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
09 February 2014 18:32
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Maybe try a completely new photographic subject, that you've never done before, hopefully something you'll find a bit difficult , so you'll have to really try hard to get something out of it. A lot of Mojo deficiency can come from being stale and referring back to previous stuff, rather than looking forward to new.

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
09 February 2014 20:17
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

I've just been really busy... and shooting with my DSLR involves time, money, organisation so I haven't done much.

What I have done is picked up a Ricoh GR. This is so small, light and easy to carry it's really put the fun back into shooting.

Might be worthwhile picking up a small camera with limited functions (such as no zoom). Takes away a lot of the technical decision making, and leaves just creativity.

Frank Sinnott is off-line
10 February 2014 01:06
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

I'm ready to shoot at the drop of a hat. Trouble is all the models are keeping their hats on. Nothing we can tell you will get you out of the rut you are in. If you really want to shoot you will. Life will throw things at you what you have to do is duck. So you get hit from time to time but you recover. As the song goes Pick yourself up. Dust yourself down and start all over again. It's all within you if you can't get it out we ain't gonna be able to do it for you.

You have to think on the good times you've had shooting reflecting on the negative is bad. So no bad only good. I shoot very little these days and it isn't for the want of trying. It would be easy to put the camera away but you never know what's around the corner. I'm hoping for a model without a hat on.

Anthonygh is off-line
10 February 2014 10:56
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I used to teach art students who would sometimes say they weren't in the mood to work...I pointed out that if I was their employer I probably wouldn't be in the mood to pay them....or even keep them on. It usually worked a treat.

However....cameras are ultimately just tools...and sometimes the challenge of working with a new tool can provide some degree of motivation. When I want to do something entirely different (photographically speaking) I get out my MF film camera, load a roll of film....grab my 30 yr old analogue meter....and just find somewhere interesting to spend a couple of hours. I'm always glad I did it, although being able to dev and scan film is an advantage.

I often carry a Canon G10 with me and that has a similar benefit....once I have a camera on me my mind is always looking for interesting pics.

I haven't done a model shoot since October and don't miss it.....I am enjoying landscape / seascape with my other point and shoot...a Canon G1X...and will probably take a 35mm rangefinder (film) out next time as well.....once it stops raining that is!

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
dhuntuk paletesdeluz RoninUK