Neil Anderson is off-line
08 February 2014 14:16
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from TheModelPortfolioCo
I have just cut my membership to basic. I have found that PS while okay just isn't as good as it used to be. PS now seems to be more focused on models making money than art or advice & support. I've found the standard of models and photographers better on other sites.

Why not start by having a better review of prospective members? 'Models' who do a few 'selfies' or togs that are 'guys with a camera' will show out and shouldn't be allowed a portfolio on the site.

It's just a shame. I am a PR/Media photographer full time and would do TFP shoots for fun and to give a bit back. I used to get loads of shoots from PS and now it's overwhelmed by financially motivated models. Art has moved away from PS.

Oh - and the front page has become far less interesting since all members can't have their images up there.  What with that and the move away from allowing basic members to see new members in their area it leads me to think that maybe PS is becoming more cash driven too?

Steve

This post seems somewhat at odds with your profile which portrays yourself as a portfolio business that does not do TF shoots (stated explicitly).
You now express your disappointment that people aren't prepared to shoot with you because they are only interested in money.... ??

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Carlos is off-line
08 February 2014 14:43
carlosw
Photographer

Wiltshire
Devizes

At last a positive thread on site comparisons!

I always ask models which sites they prefer as I am a member of a few. The last three have nominated PS above the rest. When asked why all three stated that the moderators were more active in getting rid of the 'occupational hazards' they face. They liked this 'assertive policing' as it made them feel safer mentally and physically.

And any site which makes models feel safer and more respected has to be ahead in my book.

Chrissie Red is off-line
08 February 2014 18:01
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from TheModelPortfolioCo
I have just cut my membership to basic. I have found that PS while okay just isn't as good as it used to be. PS now seems to be more focused on models making money than art or advice & support. I've found the standard of models and photographers better on other sites.

Why not start by having a better review of prospective members? 'Models' who do a few 'selfies' or togs that are 'guys with a camera' will show out and shouldn't be allowed a portfolio on the site.

It's just a shame. I am a PR/Media photographer full time and would do TFP shoots for fun and to give a bit back. I used to get loads of shoots from PS and now it's overwhelmed by financially motivated models. Art has moved away from PS.

Oh - and the front page has become far less interesting since all members can't have their images up there.  What with that and the move away from allowing basic members to see new members in their area it leads me to think that maybe PS is becoming more cash driven too?

Steve

Sorry to disagree or pick up on some of the points you have made.

- More focused on models making money than art or advice & support.
I stopped asking for advice a long time ago, mainly because I learned my lessons along the way.
For models I don't think it strictly needs to be one or the other when it comes to creating images/making money. I make money from modelling, but I also ocassionally do shoots where no money exchanges hands - I don't do this "to give a little back" I do it to make good pictures for my portfolio, is that something one should be ashamed of? Should models have a certain amount of shoots a year with Chrissie_Red is a naughty person ty/skint photographers to "give a little back?" I don't think anybody would expect them to.

Models with selfies are more popular than one with a decent portfolio on most of these sites  - because there is more chance of them saying yes to a TF shoot with a medocre photographer. I tend to stay away from the GWC type but again they are the ones paying models. Asking to be paid for doing your job is nothing any model should feel ashamed about.

Neil Anderson is off-line
08 February 2014 18:33
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from Chrissie_Red
Sorry to disagree or pick up on some of the points you have made.

- More focused on models making money than art or advice & support.

I stopped asking for advice a long time ago, mainly because I learned my lessons along the way.

For models I don't think it strictly needs to be one or the other when it comes to creating images/making money. I make money from modelling, but I also ocassionally do shoots where no money exchanges hands - I don't do this "to give a little back" I do it to make good pictures for my portfolio, is that something one should be ashamed of? Should models have a certain amount of shoots a year with stolenfaces is a naughty person ty/skint photographers to "give a little back?" I don't think anybody would expect them to.

Models with selfies are more popular than one with a decent portfolio on most of these sites  - because there is more chance of them saying yes to a TF shoot with a medocre photographer. I tend to stay away from the GWC type but again they are the ones paying models. Asking to be paid for doing your job is nothing any model should feel ashamed about.

I thought that was useful 'help and advice' for the professional photographer who thinks models should all be experienced with nice portfolios but work for him for the sake of making art. Not sure quite how he reckons that he is giving anything back though .... Maybe models refusing to work for free will deprive the world of some great pieces of art... on the other hand I suspect it won't.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Chrissie Red is off-line
08 February 2014 18:44
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from stolenfaces
I thought that was useful 'help and advice' for the professional photographer who thinks models should all be experienced with nice portfolios but work for him for the sake of making art. Not sure quite how he reckons that he is giving anything back though .... Maybe models refusing to work for free will deprive the world of some great pieces of art... on the other hand I suspect it won't.

It kind of reminds me of some of the tf requests I have got in the past - 

"Im a professional photographer and work for national newspapers, I'm very busy and well paid in my day job but thought it would be nice to help some models out with their portfolios as such I'm offering you the opportunity to have me shoot your portfolio FOR FREE!!" then they usually give me a list of past clients..

Upon looking at their portfolio it doesn't take long to realise that actually if anything i would be doing them the favour - they may be a professional photographer but that doesn't mean they are any good - or even know what they are doing when it comes to shooting models. Thats what Chrissie_Red is a naughty person es me off, a professional photographer should respect that their work is worth money so when they expect a model to only accept collaborations it kind of takes the Chrissie_Red is a naughty person a bit.

I remember seeing one Chrissie_Red is a naughty person photographer posting elsewhere saying "I don't understand why models would want payment, I wouldn't work with one that does anyway because all they want is money. I don't ask models to pay me so why should they ask me for payment?"... (That was a supposed professional wedding photographer). I wonder how she would have felt if I contacted her with the same atttitude towards her wedding photography "well I'm paying for my venue/dress/food so why should I pay for a photographer. I'm going to have a fun day and you will do, if you are only doing it for money then you wont be as interested in the product as I would be".. 

raw and the cooked is off-line
09 February 2014 07:09
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

In answer to Chrissie, no you shouldn't do charity shoots for the Rawandthecooked is a naughty person ty, just the broke and worthy! Main plus point for me with pure storm is that it isn't run by Mr Freeman and his arrogant lackeys!

scubie is off-lineSilver Member
09 February 2014 07:21
scubie
Photographer
scubie
West Sussex
worthing

Despite all the yays and nays, I am coming to the conclusion that there seems to be some excellant models on here. PP seems to be getting a little tacky lately, not for me!

And too many stats, gadgets and gizmos I don't want to know all the gory details,just want to get on with what I love--taking pictures, mainly for myself, if only I love them, so be it!!.

I really don't need to know Joe Bloggs has 10 times as many gold stars than me, left them in infant school. Doug

Profile Pictures is off-line
09 February 2014 23:16
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Hmm, its occurred to me that this site is a bit limited for image feedback though.

I despise 'AvsB' and have realised that 'FPI' became a monster, so don't advocate either idea, but honestly, the purestorm reticence to acknowledge images leaves the place feeling a bit empty and unrewarding ( don't we all have an ego and a wish to share?)

Would it be impossible to have some more dynamic image sharing perhaps, and a quick simple 'like' type button to show a nod of appreciation? If not, really, why not?

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs estefy86 Kaylie Lusciousabi29 pebbles40 Winterlilly
amvma anthonyh antoinewynn Aquarian Creativedge jackw Kjoservices Ladiesman lenspoynter liteangle mlp myview rod_m99 scottmcccxiv stevegosh Steveh32 steven1
matt