Reminder Secure

I Spit On Your Grave 2

ChrisS is off-line
02 February 2014 15:50
TheChrisS
Photographer

Cambridgeshire

Has anybody seen it? My partner gave it to me for an Xmas present, and it features a woman struggling to find her way into the modelling world. She spots an advert for a free photoshoot, attends it, and is shortly afterwards assaulted by one of the photographers colleagues, violated and subjected to rape, before being kidnapped for further abuse. Ultimately she embarks on a quest for revenge.

If you're a model, if you saw a film such as this, would it discourage you from modelling? Would it encourage a desire for a chaperone? Or do you laugh it off as "only a film?"

If you're a photographer, whats your opinion? Is it just a film to you? Does it anger you that films like this are made, instilling fear and distrust into the modelling world?

David Heels is off-line
02 February 2014 16:25
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Have you seen Hard Candy? It's about young girl who does really nasty things to a Photographer. Including removing his testicles. Does that discourage anyone from buying a camera?

Films are not real life. They are just films.

Dave

02 February 2014 16:52
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Quote from TheChrisS
Has anybody seen it? My partner gave it to me for an Xmas present, and it features a woman struggling to find her way into the modelling world. She spots an advert for a free photoshoot, attends it, and is shortly afterwards assaulted by one of the photographers colleagues, violated and subjected to rape, before being kidnapped for further abuse. Ultimately she embarks on a quest for revenge.

If you're a model, if you saw a film such as this, would it discourage you from modelling? Would it encourage a desire for a chaperone? Or do you laugh it off as "only a film?"

If you're a photographer, whats your opinion? Is it just a film to you? Does it anger you that films like this are made, instilling fear and distrust into the modelling world?

Most people who aren't already mentally disturbed can tell the difference between films and real life.

Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

ChrisS is off-line
02 February 2014 18:01
TheChrisS
Photographer

Cambridgeshire

Yes, you're correct. Films are not real life (except those that are based on real life stories). But I just wondered if such films have ever planted negative seeds in models. We all know there are a few rogue photographers out there that give the respectable photographers a bad name. I know of people who are wary of planes when they see disaster movies, for instance, despite the obvious unliklihood of it happening. I know of a person who developed a fear of spiders after watching Arachnophobia one evening. Films like this portray the model as young, innocent and vulnerable initially. And I wonder if models who might see it are discouraged or feel a need for protection based on that feeling of vulerability.

And Crippen, no Ive not seen that film. But that concept doesnt worry me. Maybe it would to another photographer, I dont know.

Simon Chan is off-line
02 February 2014 18:45
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Chris sort of reminds me of folks from the 70s who are more impressionistic on what they see in the cinema particularly horror films that pushed the envelope was considered niche at the time. People these days are generally more exposed or informed and somewhat desensitised by what they see on screen.
Some of the so called "video nasties" banned by the Thatcher government was considered even corrupting the mind during the 80s but compare to now it is so tame you see more frightening shows on the Discovery Channel.

Tony Stephenson is off-line
02 February 2014 20:12
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from Crippen

Films are not real life. They are just films.

Given the number of people who are virtually addicted to watching certain TV soaps and their reactions to particular story lines, I sometimes wonder if they can truly differentiate between acted out drama and reality? 

www.le-femme.co.uk

Neil Anderson is off-line
02 February 2014 20:43
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

A huge number of people have seen Pyscho - most of them still take showers....
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

03 February 2014 03:43
JadedRed
Model

The only negative seeds planted in my mind about modelling were put there by experience.

Steve Guy is off-line
03 February 2014 03:56
Sdeve
Photographer

Derbyshire
Derby

A significant number of married people have murdered their spouse. There are other reasons not to get married though. A lot of them.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
03 February 2014 05:05
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Sdeve
A significant number of married people have murdered their spouse.

I thought statistically models (or just women in general) are far more likely to get raped/assaulted/murdered by partners/ex-partners/close friends than a complete stranger.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
casell FirstLifePhotography iestyn JohnDentonPhoto Symon1