Reminder Secure

rates... advice needed

01 February 2014 10:46
gabriella12345
Model

hi, im a new model (been modelling since december 2013)

i keep getting togs asking me for my rates and so far i have only done 5 TFCD shoots.

what kind of rates should i use?

models/photographers please inbox me. really need some advice. thank you!

Elaine  is off-lineSilver Member
01 February 2014 10:57
seeryder
Model
seeryder
West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Hi Gabriella,

In my experience , you will only get paid if you take at least some of your clothes off. Amateur photographers just won't pay for clothed modelling & the pro's will want you to be very very special before they hire you.

01 February 2014 11:08
gabriella12345
Model

ok thank you for your advice.

Gerry is off-line
01 February 2014 11:12
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from seeryder
Hi Gabriella, In my experience , you will only get paid if you take at least some of your clothes off. Amateur photographers just won't pay for clothed modelling & the pro's will want you to be very very special before they hire you.

She has been offered to be paid already - as long as it is within her levels, all she needs to do is establish how much
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

HowardJ is off-line
01 February 2014 11:34
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

I'd ask some models who work similar levels.

You have a good look and I'm sure you'll get paid work at the levels you do work.

Asking togs probably isn't going to help as they sometimes have a biased view.

01 February 2014 12:57
gabriella12345
Model

thank you for all your advice! its really appreciated.
have a nice rest of the weekend x

Chrissie Red is off-line
01 February 2014 13:57
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Might be best to start off with a simple "pay" scale rather than complicating things by breaking it down into hours/levels. Maybe something like 4x hours for £50 or £15 per hour - perhaps asking nicely if you can get a picture or two for the portfolio as well. Remember though when being paid the photographer doesn't have to supply images, so technically unless otherwise stated once the shoot is over then the photographer has no obligation to send you anything - so if you move to "paid work only" your portfolio may suffer because of this.

Also remember and sign up to be self employed on the hmrc website - better to be on the right side of the law, no matter how littler you might make at first its best to be registered and doing things by the book.

Good luck

Alan Jefferies is off-lineSilver Member
01 February 2014 22:38
ploggy
Photographer
ploggy
Merseyside
St.Helens

Quote from HowardJ
I'd ask some models who work similar levels. You have a good look and I'm sure you'll get paid work at the levels you do work. Asking togs probably isn't going to help as they sometimes have a biased view.

You may find that human nature being what it is, some models would lie about how much they actually make, not wanting to admit that modelling isn't going to make them rich overnight as they may have bragged to their friends etc? There is also the aspect, that they would lie to a new model asking advice, not wishing to give an advantage to what is in effect the opposition? After all, if you can get the newbies to charge too much, then the work is going to stay with you?
How many times have we heard, when given an inflated rate  "Another, very experienced model advised me what I should be charging"?
Decide what you are willing to work for and go for it, your level of work offers will tell you if you have got it right or not?

I find that people who think that they know it all can be very annoying to those of us that actually do.

Kevin White is off-lineSilver Member
03 February 2014 08:18
MightyWhite
Photographer
MightyWhite
Berkshire
Ascot

Obviously not what she wanted to hear (she has now left the site).

I am often amazed at the number of girls who come on here to ask a question but then quickly disappear afterwards.

Gerry is off-line
03 February 2014 08:36
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from MightyWhite
Obviously not what she wanted to hear (she has now left the site). I am often amazed at the number of girls who come on here to ask a question but then quickly disappear afterwards.

May well be nothing to do with her post.

Many models get swamped by chancers and level pushers when they join and if I was guessing, I would think that a far more likely scenario
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Charlotte90 chosin danixhale jensomerfield scarlettfoxett
adamjt7 andygstudios basil Blancho bradder clarmike Creativedge digitizer duncanjames Enigmatic gazzer59 iestyn jpdo keltica magpie1 mrdl Platidonio Puremoods redbaron Rhadamanthus Rhphoto Rscott360 Snooper911 stevegosh TinDolls wacTony Willjamieson