Registry Office Wedding Shooting (first time) - Advice wanted

John Stables is off-line
29 January 2014 16:18
YellowSnapper
Photographer
YellowSnapper
Lancashire
Preston

Having never been in a registry office, I'm a bit out of touch with what to expect this weekend when I shoot a last minute wedding.

I have shot a couple of wedidngs before, but any 'register office specific' hints and tips you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Chrissie Red is off-line
29 January 2014 17:08
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

It really depends what type of registrar office it is, my sisters "registrar office" wedding was more like a posh castle or hotel suite with stained glass windows like a church it was beautiful rather than a boring room with 4 chairs. Have you been given the name of where it is and what suite it is? might help to go down and visit before hand if you have time or look online to see what the space is like.

Mark Silvester is off-lineGold Member
29 January 2014 17:11
marksilvester
Photographer
marksilvester
Dorset
Gillingham

Ask the registrar what they permit and where they want you to stand. Often flash cant be used during the actual ceremony.

Also dont forget you cant photograph the official signing of the register only the mock up.

Get there early and have a look at the room if possible then really its just doing what you are allowed to.

Ron Williams is off-lineSilver Member
29 January 2014 18:34
RonA
Photographer
RonA
Kent
Bexley

All of the above - important to try and do a recce.

You might not have the luxury of being able to take unhurried shots if the next wedding party is immediately  following the ceremony you're photographing.

It is best to try and talk to the officiating registrar ahead of the appointed date and time

cheeky

Rod Macdonald is online
29 January 2014 18:50
rod_m99
Photographer
rod_m99
Cambridgeshire
Cambridge

Quote from marksilvester
Ask the registrar what they permit and where they want you to stand. Often flash cant be used during the actual ceremony.

Also dont forget you cant photograph the official signing of the register only the mock up.

Get there early and have a look at the room if possible then really its just doing what you are allowed to.

At my son's wedding at Islington Town Hall last June there seemed to be no problem with shooting the actual signing of the register. Overall I had the impression that the whole process has become a lot more relaxed - flash was permitted during the ceremony, for example. Whether that's just trendy Islington, or a more general change, I don't know!

Cakemix is off-line
30 January 2014 13:00
LauraLily
Photographer
LauraLily
West Midlands
Birmingham

Yes - Most important thing you can do is find out what you are actually permitted to do. I've done a lot of registry office weddings and a lot of them do seem to have restrictions, so it's best to ring up in advance and find out what these are so you can advise your couple of this - otherwise they may be disappointed.

Some registry offices will allow you to photograph select parts of the ceremony, some will allow you to do the whole thing, but very few will allow you to use flash.

Also, another tip I discovered while doing registry office weddings, did you know it is actually an infringement of data protection laws to photograph the official register? While most places won't scorn you too much for taking pictures of the official signing, legally you could actually find yourself with a fine!

Once you've found out what you can and can't do, make sure you call your couple and make them aware of all this so that they know exactly what they are getting.

Simon Young is off-lineSilver Member
31 January 2014 07:50
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Gloucestershire

Do a search on the actual Register Office to find out their photography policy. There is a huge variation across the country as to what they will and won't allow. Also smile and ask nicely...
In the "Information Age", continued ignorance must be a choice motivated initially through inherited beliefs.

John Stables is off-line
31 January 2014 15:05
YellowSnapper
Photographer
YellowSnapper
Lancashire
Preston

Thanks all... any last monute tips on shooting before the morning?

I have a new 10-24mm.... but i reckon it'd be pointless using this???!??

plug57 is off-line
31 January 2014 15:52
stufreeman
Photographer
stufreeman
Wiltshire

Do not speak to the couple during the ceremony, it's classed as 'contempt of court'. I suffered the wrath for calling the grooms name to get his attention during the exchange of rings........I miss all that.

John Stables is off-line
31 January 2014 15:58
YellowSnapper
Photographer
YellowSnapper
Lancashire
Preston

Quote from stufreeman
Do not speak to the couple during the ceremony, it's classed as 'contempt of court'. I suffered the wrath for calling the grooms name to get his attention during the exchange of rings........I miss all that.

Never knew that (not that I would want to draw everyones attention to myself.
You miss it, why?

34 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Bluelah Exoticangel jessicatx089 kev800 LadyLycan natalie120525 tanyacox Winterlilly
Beemer2009 bob22 Fstop geoffmarchant gunnergraham HarishPadalia JohnDentonPhoto jonwilphoto Jskazza Kiboko kimsandman2 Ladiesman modelboutique Neilscott philippahh Photojoe670 Pjsphotos plld read riddell rod_m99 scottmcccxiv stevegosh Steveharratt vicpics westend_portfolios