Help please?

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
29 January 2014 12:22
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

I can't decide which version works better. Anyone care to throw in their tuppenceworth?

Model : jitka

Thanks
Bob

w4pictures is off-line
29 January 2014 12:35
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

I like the B&W but the colour version gives the model more separation from the pillar. I would be inclined to darken the pillar behind the model and use the B&W version.

Paul Jones is off-line
29 January 2014 15:27
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

I often have the same issue, Bob.

Of the two images posted I prefer the black and white.

Best regards
Paul

www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

Zanussi is off-line
29 January 2014 18:23
zanussi
Photographer
zanussi
South Yorkshire
Barnsley

Black and White, the shot has a vintage feel which is enhanced by the grey tone shot.

Hugh Spence is off-line
29 January 2014 18:50
StNeots
Photographer
StNeots
Bedfordshire
Potton

The colour one is a bit flat and lacking in contrast, which is there in the mono image.
I'd be inclined to use the colour one but adjust the levels and maybe darken the pillar as suggeted by the first reply so that she stands out more from her surroundings.

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
30 January 2014 06:19
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Thanks for the input. My original intent was to go greyscale - the shot was sparked after we had dinner the previous night in the restaurant in Shepherd Market that Garbo used to frequent when in London and which has loads of her pictures on the walls - but when I looked at the colour version of this shot I began to have doubts. I also considered monotone/sepia, rather than greyscale, but I don't think that worked. Maybe I should go down the duotone route instead.

Jitka prefers greyscale, so that's probably what I'll stick with.

Bob

Neil Anderson is off-line
30 January 2014 07:24
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

It looks quite different (and in my opinion better) if you crop it tighter. The bit of bay window and the writing on the arch spoil the composition, but also add unnecessary highlights and shadow detail.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
30 January 2014 10:46
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I normally prefer B&W but on this one the colour seems to work better for me. I think it is because the colour balance on the model and pillar are much cooler than the yellowish background which helps to draw the focus in to her.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

fitnude is off-line
31 January 2014 04:33
actiongirl
Model

London

in the black and white photo the girls body shape stands out more against the column, so you look at the model, then the background, not the background first!

32 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
charlotte90 CIEGE_CJ Classy_cassie karenr kate_anne lindacanovamodel mandymack ouaou
2Twenty2 bbphotos Blancho BOBREEVES ChrisD djb1 Djbphotography Edenbailey fotopro funky Gaudinio Jackalltog kaosrox lify mike0048 peterh philippahh PhotoSpyroS rscott360 steveh32 Stevew1 thelook whitepython woofoo